Earlier this evening, Jeff Moorad stepped down as the CEO of the Padres. Here's more on the situation in San Diego and other notes from the National League West..
- Former Dodgers GM Fred Claire spoke to Doug Miller of MLB.com about Hideo Nomo and his impact on how Japanese players were received by MLB.
- Multiple owners indicated they would not support Jeff Moorad’s attempt to purchase the Padres, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Morosi opines that the world of MLB ownership is highly political.
- It's hard not to speculate that the losing Dodgers bidders might look into purchasing the Padres, tweets Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times. One longtime MLB executive agrees with that assessment, according to Morosi (via Twitter).
- Steve Gilbert of MLB.com isn't overly optimistic about the Diamondbacks getting a new deal done with catcher Miguel Montero. Some believe that Yadier Molina's contract could jack Montero's price up to about $12MM annually.
- The Dodgers DFA'd Ramon Troncoso earlier this evening to make room for Ronald Belisario and Dave Cameron of Fangraphs (via Twitter) likes the reliever as a low-cost pickup. Troncoso was once a staple of the Dodgers' bullpen but saw limited time in the majors in 2011.