Assuming the Nationals work out a deal to keep Davey Johnson in place, the Rockies and Blue Jays will be the only two teams still seeking managers. Here’s the latest on their respective searches…
- Walt Weiss and Matt Williams are the two remaining candidates for the Rockies' position, Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post reports. Weiss remains the favorite, according to Saunders. Rockies bench coach Tom Runnells and veteran slugger Jason Giambi are no longer in the running for the job.
- Williams, the Diamondbacks third-base coach, told Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post that his interview for the Rockies' managerial opening went "very well." Rockies owner Dick Monfort, GM Dan O'Dowd and senior VP Bill Geivett asked Williams about his philosophy on managing in Coors Field.
- The Rockies had some talks with former Rockies player Eric Young Sr. and Steve Buechele, who manages the Rangers' Double-A team, Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports. There's no indication those two candidates will receive more extensive consideration, Harding writes.
- Former MLB manager and player Art Howe told Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun that he'd like to manage the Blue Jays. The 65-year-old has some connections in Toronto and says the Blue Jays can compete before long. “They have some nice talent and were very competitive until they fell off with those injuries to their position players," Howe told Elliott.
- Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reported yesterday that the Blue Jays are in no rush to find a manager. They'll resume their search following this week's GM Meetings.
Art Howe is yesterday’s man, Jays need to find the new Joe Maddon.
Sorry….there won’t be another Joe Maddon.
Please, no more “old school” managers. What Andy said; a Joe Maddon type who’s capable of thinking outside the box.
Art Howe… like the Oakland Art Howe? Huh. Go figure.
Also, that’s a big mistake for AA for put it off. How is he going to woo any FA without a manager? Some players will want to know who they are going to play for…
Agreed, this organization is run quite funny/backwards.
All the players will need to know is that “the money is there when we need it”, you’ll be playing with a great bunch of “team controllable for a long time” guys, and the Rogers Centre sounds like 20,000 crazy fans once they get 50,000+ in there.
Didn’t Buechele play every position in 1 game?
Was Scott Sheldon. Dont know why I thought it wad Buechele
George Vander Buist
in addition to the “new wave” manager.. he has to be someone who can get the most of young players both with too much confidence and not enough
George Vander Buist
someone actually voted that down? What? You don’t want someone who can the get the most of these young guys?
Likes/Dislikes = Serious Business
I just never Jason Giambi as a managerial fit. Good to see he’s out of the running.
Paul Molitor please…
Enough mulling Rockies..just pick your next hogtied, neutered puppet manager already so you can move forward into the off-season and make some minor moves sure to enrage the fan base and make us question why we should continue to support a team that the front office doesn’t know how to or just plain refuses improve.