Aledmys Diaz & Dariel Alvarez Close To Free Agency
Cuban prospects Aledmys Diaz and Dariel Alvarez are expected to be declared free agents soon, reports MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez. Both players have submitted their paperwork to the commissioner's office and could enter the market as soon as early next week.
Diaz, 22, is a right-handed hitting shortstop who defected last summer and has since established residency in Mexico. He stands 6-foot-1 and 185 lbs. and will take part in a series of showcase events starting next week. Sanchez says Diaz can hit for average and power while providing speed as well. Several teams have already expressed interest in signing him.
Alvarez, 24, is a right-handed hitting outfielder. He also defected last summer and established residency in Mexico, where he has been playing winter ball. Alvarez stands 6-foot-2 and 190 lbs. and is said to be able to play all three outfield spots while providing an above-average arm. Sanchez says it's unclear if Diaz or Alvarez will command contracts on par with Yoenis Cespedes and Yasiel Puig.
Orioles Have Interest In Koji Uehara & Kameron Loe
The bullpen was a major strength for the Orioles this season, but that doesn't mean they won't look for upgrades this winter. Dan Connolly of The Baltimore Sun hears the team has some interest in Koji Uehara and Kameron Loe.
“He’s on our list, we like him. He’s been here before," said GM Dan Duquette of Uehara, who pitched in Baltimore from 2009 until being traded away at the 2011 deadline.
The Orioles have inquired about several other relievers including Japanese free agent Kyuji Fujikawa, notes Connolly. Uehara, 37, pitched to a 1.75 ERA with 10.8 K/9 and 0.8 BB/9 in 36 innings for the Rangers last year. Loe, 31, posted a 4.61 ERA with 7.2 K/9 and 2.6 BB/9 in 68 1/3 innings for the Brewers. He started his career under Orioles manager Buck Showalter while with Texas.
Braves To Sign B.J. Upton
5:10pm: Topkin reports (on Twitter) there is no option, so it's a straight five-year contract.
4:49pm: It's a five-year, $75.25MM contract, Rosenthal reports (on Twitter).
4:40pm: It's a five-year deal worth $75MM, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times and ESPN.com's Buster Olney report (Twitter links).
4:22pm: It's a five-year deal, worth $70-75MM, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (on Twitter).
4:11pm: The Braves have agreed to sign free agent center fielder B.J. Upton, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Reynolds Sports Management represents Upton, whose deal is pending a physical.
The 28-year-old ranked fifth on MLBTR’s list of the offseason’s top 50 free agents. In 633 plate appearances for the Rays this past season, Upton hit 28 home runs and posted a .246/.298/.454 batting line. The right-handed hitter would add balance to the Braves' lefty-heavy lineup. The Phillies were the runners up in the bidding for Upton, Nightengale reports (on Twitter).
Upton declined a qualifying offer from the Rays, which means the Rays are now eligible to obtain a top pick in the 2013 draft. The Braves will surrender their first round draft pick to sign Upton, though that selection won't go directly to Tampa Bay.
ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick first reported the sides were in serious talks and Mark Bowman of MLB.com first reported they were nearing a deal. Mike Axisa contributed to this post.
Mike Napoli Rumors: Tuesday
It's a good time to be a free agent catcher with power. Interest in Russell Martin remains strong, and the market for Mike Napoli seems similarly active. Here’s the latest on Napoli on a day that he had been scheduled to meet with the Rangers…
- The Rangers remain focused on Napoli, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports (on Twitter). Their interest in Martin will increase only if Texas believes Napoli’s asking price is too high.
- The Red Sox are in contact with Napoli, Nick Swisher and Cody Ross and all three free agents remain in play for Boston, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. Napoli, Swisher and Ross appear to be the top targets for the Red Sox, who seek help at first base and in the outfield. One executive said he views the Red Sox as the favorite to sign Napoli. Like Swisher, Napoli has the versatility to play multiple positions, a bonus for the Red Sox.
Yankees Designate Eli Whiteside For Assignment
The Yankees announced that they designated catcher Eli Whiteside for assignment. The move creates 40-man roster space for Andy Pettitte.
The Yankees avoided arbitration with Whiteside just two days ago, agreeing to terms on a $625K contract for 2013. The Yankees guaranteed Whiteside $200K of that sum, according to the Associated Press (via ESPN.com).
Whiteside appeared in 12 games with the Giants this past season and played another 60 contests with San Francisco's Triple-A affiliate. In parts of five seasons at the MLB level, the 33-year-old has a .215/.273/.335 batting line. He had been a non-tender candidate with a projected salary of $600K. Be sure to check out MLBTR's Non-Tender Tracker for the status of arbitration eligible players.
Yankees To Sign Andy Pettitte
The Yankees announced that they have signed Andy Pettitte to a one-year, Major League contract. Ken Davidoff of the New York Post, who first reported the deal, adds that it's worth $12MM (on Twitter). The contract also includes $2.5MM in awards bonuses according to Mark Feinsand of The New York Daily News (on Twitter). Excel Sports Management now represents the 40-year-old left-hander.
Pettitte pitched well in 12 regular season starts this past season before making two quality starts in the postseason. He posted a 2.87 ERA with 8.2 K/9, 2.5 BB/9 and a 56.3% ground ball rate in 75 1/3 regular season innings in 2012, while earning $2.5MM.
The Yankees' rotation now looks considerably stronger than it did earlier in the month. They recently signed Hiroki Kuroda, who joins C.C. Sabathia, Phil Hughes and Ivan Nova in the team's rotation. David Phelps and even Michael Pineda could also contribute as starters.
ESPN.com's Buster Olney first reported the sides were nearing a deal. Mike Axisa contributed to this post. Photo courtesy of US Presswire.
Dodgers Have Interest In Kyle Lohse
The Dodgers have interest in free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse, reports Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles (on Twitter). The team has made no secret of their desire to add pitching or willingness to spend this offseason.
Lohse, 34, pitched to a 2.86 ERA with 6.1 K/9 and 1.6 BB/9 in 33 starts and a career-high 211 innings with the Cardinals this season. He's thrown at least 180 innings in each of the last two years and in three of the last five years. St. Louis did make Lohse a qualifying offer after the season, so signing him will require draft pick compensation.
Mariners Release Chone Figgins
The Mariners have officially released Chone Figgins, Greg Johns of MLB.com reports (on Twitter). Figgins had been designated for assignment last week.
Figgins signed a four-year, $36MM deal with the Mariners after the 2009 season but hit just .227/.302/.283 in three seasons with the team. He is still owed $8MM for 2013, a sum that the Mariners will be responsible for. If another team signs Figgins, that team would only be responsible for paying him the MLB minimum salary, so the Mariners can't hope to save more than $490K.
Mark Polishuk contributed to this post.
Orioles Acquire Danny Valencia
The Orioles have acquired infielder Danny Valencia from the Red Sox for cash considerations, the teams announced. Baltimore designated infielder Joe Mahoney for assignment in a related move.
Acquired from Minnesota this past August, Valencia appeared in 44 total games in 2012. He struggled, posting a .188/.199/.299 batting line in 161 plate appearances for the Red Sox and Twins. However, in 2011, he hit 15 home runs and posted a .246/.294/.383 as Minnesota's starting third baseman.
Mahoney debuted with the Orioles this past season, appearing in two games. In 536 plate appearances at Triple-A, the 25-year-old posted a .265/.319/.389 batting line.
A’s Acquire Sandy Rosario; Designate Mitchell
The A's acquired right-hander Sandy Rosario from the Red Sox for a player to be named later or cash considerations, the teams announced. In a related move, the A's designated outfielder Jermaine Mitchell for assignment.
Rosario, 27, has yet to appear in a game with the Red Sox, who claimed him off of waivers from Miami last month. He pitched in four games for this year's Marlins team, but spent most of the season in the minor leagues. He posted a 1.99 ERA with 8.2 K/9 and 1.4 BB/9 in 31 2/3 total innings for three of Miami's affiliates.
Mitchell, Oakland's fifth round selection in 2006, has yet to appear at the MLB level. The 28-year-old posted a .252/.345/.386 batting line in 474 plate appearances at Triple-A this past season.

