It's draft week! On Thursday, the first 73 players will be chosen in MLB's first-year player draft. Draft order can be found here. The latest info:
- Need a refresher on MLB draft basics? Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.ca has you covered.
- How about a fresh mock draft from ESPN's Keith Law? Law is hearing high school righty Phil Bickford at #8 to the Royals, though he doesn't seem a fan of the idea. Law's mock draft requires a subscription, but is chock full of info and is well worth it.
- Baseball America editors John Manuel, Jim Callis, Conor Glassey, and Nathan Rode participated in an expert draft, taking turns making picks for teams.
- The Mets are targeting a college hitter in the draft, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. He suggests D.J. Peterson, Hunter Renfroe, Austin Wilson, and Aaron Judge as possibilities. The Mets draft 11th, and Law went with high school first baseman Dominic Smith.
- The Phillies pick 16th, their earliest since Gavin Floyd was chosen fourth overall in '01. Assistant general manager of amateur scouting Marti Wolever told Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, "One guy in particular I saw last year and I thought he was one of the best position players I saw last year. I think maybe there is a chance we can snag him this year. I hope so. I have my fingers crossed."