The Mets made a big splash this afternoon when they inked veteran starter Bartolo Colon to a two-year deal. Here’s the latest out of the NL East..
- Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter links) asked Nationals GM Mike Rizzo if he’d consider trading Jordan Zimmermann. The Nats have tried to extend Zimmerman twice and, like David Price of the Rays, he has two years of club control remaining. “We’d certainly love to get something done with him. But like any premium guy on your team, if here is something that can’t be done, then you would think about a trade. But that’s the furthest thing from our minds,” Rizzo said.
- Colon’s age and history allowed the Mets to land him at a reasonable price, tweets Tim Dierkes of MLBTradeRumors. In Tim’s view, it’s easy to see him returning $20MM+ of value over the next two years.
- Jerry Blevins found out that he was traded from the Athletics to the Nationals around noon time, according to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson (on Twitter). He was initially shocked because, unlike our readers, he did not pay attention to any of the trade rumors going on.
- The Braves were interested in Roy Halladay before he chose to retire and would like to add a veteran starter on a short-term deal, tweets Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press.
- Mets officials met with Ervin Santana’s people, but that appears unlikely in the wake of the Colon signing, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.
- The Phillies didn’t meet with Bronson Arroyo yet and while that doesn’t necessarily preclude a deal, others are more serious about him, tweets Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
I figured as much. Wouldn’t have minded giving him a shot. Ben Sheets anyone?
Mark Mulder = Ben Sheets
I’m surprised Blevins was traded, I hope Beane got a descent return! Blevins is wicked underrated
Definitely get the sense with Zimmermann that he intends to test the open market. Extend Desmond… Top 5 shortstop, great attitude, team leader
Yeah, anytime I see a quote from him about an extension it’s along the lines of “I like it well enough here, but I wanna get paid.” Rizzo has made great moves so far this winter, signing Desmond long term would be icing on the cake.
The Braves do as they usually do and watch other teams in their Division get better.
So what do you suggest they do? Trade the farm for Price? Or how about stretch the budget as far as possible to sign someone they don’t need to make you and others like you happy? Making irrational moves for the sake of the fan base made Wren strike too early in the off season for BJ Upton. You want to go down that road again? I don’t. I’ll let the professionals do their job and reserve my complaints until its actually warranted.
Yes, I’ll keep praying that Dan Uggla and BJ Upton learn how to hit the ball again. Or that Minor will become the next Clayton Kershaw. Our starting pitching was exposed last season. So guys like Price or Scherzer don’t sound too irrational to me. .
Exactly how are we suppose to retain Price or Scherzer past their current contracts? Like I said there’s no sense in stretching the bank for the sake of the fan base. Plus it would cripple our farm system. I understand you’re not happy with what happened in the Postseason but I highly doubt Scherzer or Price were our answer to the World Series. Mike Minor is nothing to sneeze at and no one is hoping he becomes Clayton Kershaw (though that would be nice).
Making moves just because other teams in your division are making moves is what leads to bidding for Igawa after your rival gets Dice-K. And this is coming from a Yankees fan.
If I was a Braves fan, I might find pleasure in watching one of Philly’s best starters ruin his legacy in Atlanta.
I’m drooling over the Mariners trying to get Zimmermann. Hey, I can dream. The Mariners are still looking for a pitcher and have nice pieces to trade
As a Braves fan I really hoped the Braves could sign either Halladay or Josh Johnson on a short low money contract. Oh well I guess both of them are out now..but it’s nice knowing they actually had intrest in him
There’s still Johan Santana
This is the same front office that signed Derek Lowe to 4 years. I think Wren is a little gun shy now.
and Kawakami in the same offseason. He was 1 for 3 though with trading for Huddy.
JS traded for Huddy. Maybe you’re thinking of Vazquez?
Yeah Vaquez was a good trade, we got solid prospects for him.
If the Nationals ever trade Zimermann they better get some killer return for him… better yet just pay the dude market value. I’d say he is worth it. Having said that though Desmond is should be a higher priority.