This week’s look back at the notable moves and news from around the league…
- The White Sox signed center fielder Austin Jackson to a one-year, $5MM deal.
- The Orioles signed DH Pedro Alvarez to a one-year, $5.75MM deal.
- The Pirates signed third baseman David Freese to a one-year, $3MM deal.
- Marlins right-hander Carter Capps underwent Tommy John surgery.
- Cardinals shortstop Jhonny Peralta could be out until the All-Star break following thumb surgery.
- Phillies outficlder Aaron Altherr will miss four to six months following wrist surgery.
- Athletics right-hander Jarrod Parker re-fractured his right elbow.
- Mets shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera is dealing with a strained patellar tendon in his left knee and figures to open the season on the DL.
- Jake Arrieta has been seeking a seven-year deal in talks with the Cubs.
- Adrian Beltre is seeking a three-year deal worth more than $19MM annually from the Rangers.
DFAs / Outrights
- The White Sox designated 1B/3B Mike Olt for assignment to clear room for Jackson. He was then outrighted to Triple-A.
- The Pirates designated LHP Jesse Biddle for assignment to clear room for Freese.
- The Cubs released LHP Rex Brothers.
- The Orioles released RHP Andrew Triggs to clear room for Alvarez.
Minor League Signings
- The Rays signed RHP David Carpenter and former 1B Dan Johnson (link), who will transition to the mound as a knuckleballer.
- The Blue Jays signed LHP Randy Choate.
- The Braves signed LHP Phil Coke.
- The Tigers signed RHP Lucas Harrell.
- The Padres signed 1B Josh Satin and SS Justin Sellers.
- The Cubs signed OF Ryan Kalish.
- The Angels signed RHP Josh Roenicke.
- The Orioles signed OF Julio Borbon.