Sunday: Manager Alex Cora told reporters, including Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe (via Twitter), that Price will indeed undergo surgery to have the cyst removed next week. The procedure is not expected to be extensive, adds Cotillo (on Twitter). Price is on track to have a normal spring training in 2020.
Wednesday, 4:04pm: Price has officially been shut down for the season, Cora revealed in a radio appearance on WEEI’s Ordway, Merloni and Fauria today (Twitter link).
Wednesday, 1:03am: It appears injured Red Sox left-hander David Price’s season will come to an early end. The Red Sox are “most likely” to shut him down for the rest of 2019, manager Alex Cora told Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com and other reporters.
This is anything but a shocking development, as Price’s left wrist continues to trouble him and the Red Sox have nothing of significance to play for at this point. At 9 1/2 games back of a wild-card spot with the regular season nearing a conclusion, the reigning World Series winners won’t have a chance to defend their crown in the playoffs this year.
The fact that Boston hasn’t had Price at full strength is among the reasons this will go in the books as a disappointing season for the club. Price, who has made only two starts since the beginning of August, will wind up with 107 1/3 innings of 4.28 ERA/3.63 FIP pitching on the year. He missed a couple weeks in May with a case of elbow tendinitis, and then hit the IL again last month because of a cyst in his wrist. While Price underwent a cortisone shot then in hopes of alleviating the issue, the 34-year-old still hasn’t found relief.
Price may have to undergo surgery before next season, which will be the fifth of the seven-year, $217MM contract the Red Sox gave him going into 2016. There’s still $96MM remaining on the deal, a pact Price signed when he was amid a long run as an elite workhorse. Although he’s a six-time 200-inning hurler (including in his first year with the Red Sox), Price has only averaged 119 frames per season dating back to 2017.