5:03PM: Molina has decided against playing in the All-Star Game, telling MLB.com’s Katie Woo and other reporters that he will use the break to rest his foot. Molina spent 11 days on the injured list due to a tendon strain in his right foot earlier this season. Omar Narvaez will take Molina’s spot on the NL team, as announced by the Brewers.
11:12AM: Major League Baseball announced the All-Star replacements today. Since the initial rosters came out on July 4th, 10 players have proven unable to participate for one reason or another. The following players have been added to the rosters for the upcoming All-Star game:
- Tim Anderson, SS, Chicago White Sox
- Chris Bassitt, SP, Oakland A’s
- Whit Merrifield, 2B, Kansas City Royals
- Joey Wendle, SS, Tampa Bay Rays
The players above are taking the place of four Astros who are now listed as unable to participate: Jose Altuve, Michael Brantley, Carlos Correa and Ryan Pressly, who will stay home to be with his wife as they await the birth of a child.
- Walker Buehler, SP, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Justin Turner, 3B, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Max Scherzer, SP, Washington Nationals
- Taijuan Walker, SP, New York Mets
- Freddy Peralta, SP, Milwaukee Brewers
- Yadier Molina, C, St. Louis Cardinal
The players above are taking the place of Mookie Betts of the Dodgers, Jacob deGrom of the Mets, Yu Darvish of the San Diego Padres and Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants. They also account for Brandon Woodruff and Kevin Gausman, All-Stars who will be unavailable for the game because they are starting games on Sunday.