Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Revenue Sharing, Bullington, Halladay, Mauer

On this date 18 years ago, Eddie Murray signed a two-year, $7.5MM deal with the Mets, the third of six teams he would play for in 21 seasons. In those two years, he would hit 43 home runs and post seasons of 115 and 111 OPS+. A week into this year's free agency, let's take a look at what is being written in the Blogosphere…

  • The Biz of Baseball looks at revenue sharing in baseball and why baseball no longer releases revenue sharing figures.
  • DC Sports Plus evaluates the list of minor league free agent pitchers and who might get shots to stick with a big league club in the Spring.
  • Royals Authority looks at what the signing of Bryan Bullington could mean for the Royals and whether he can contribute as a big league relief pitcher.
  • River Ave Blues speculates on what the Yankees and Red Sox would have to give up to land Roy Halladay.
  • MLB Notebook examines why the Tigers are looking to trade Edwin Jackson.
  • UmpBump breaks down the Padres off-season needs and what San Diego needs to bring back should Adrian Gonzalez be traded.
  • Jorge Says No! speculates on an extension that could work for both the Twins and Joe Mauer.

Cork Gaines writes for RaysIndex.com. If you have a suggestion for this feature, Cork can be reached here, and followed on Twitter here.

Odds & Ends: Johnson, Cabrera, Mets, Contreras

Here's some discount links on Black Friday…

The Price Tag For Roy Halladay

ESPN.com's Buster Olney says the Red Sox would "almost certainly" have to part with prospect Casey Kelly and pitcher Clay Buchholz to acquire Roy Halladay from the Blue Jays. That would be an immense price to pay for a year of Halladay, and Olney says it "makes no sense" for the Red Sox to hand over that kind of talent, especially since it will take a considerable amount to lock Halladay up long-term.

One executive called the Halladay trade talks "Santana 2," in reference to the Johan Santana trade talks two offseasons ago. The Yankees and Red Sox held onto their prospects then, and their decisions look wise today.

But don't expect the Blue Jays to lower the asking price for their ace. One person who was involved in last summer's trade talks tells Olney that the Jays will continue to ask for top prospects, even if it means they don't make a deal.

"It'll probably be easier for them, as an organization, to just keep him and let him walk," the talent evaluator said. 

If they do trade Halladay, they'll likely ask for shortstop prospects, according to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian. It doesn't sound like the Jays are close to dealing Doc and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports expects trade talks to develop slowly.

Red Sox “At Or Near” The Top Of Scutaro’s List

The Red Sox are eyeing Marco Scutaro and, according to the Boston Herald, the interest is mutual. The shortstop's agent, Peter Greenberg, told Michael Silverman and John Tomase that Scutaro likes the idea of playing in Boston.

“Boston is at or near the top of Marco’s list of where to sign," Greenberg said. "But quite a few teams have expressed interest.”

Greenberg says his client will remain in contact with a number of teams, even though he has "a lot" of interest in the Red Sox. Boston is likely more comfortable with a two year deal than a three-year deal, since they have 19-year-old prospect Jose Iglesias in the minors.

Scutaro is a Type A free agent, so he will cost a top draft pick if he turns down the Blue Jays' arbitration offer. Talks with the Jays have stalled for now, and it would be a surprise to see Scutaro accept arbitration. The Red Sox could receive compensation picks if their Type A free agents (Jason Bay and Billy Wagner) sign elsewhere, which could make losing a top pick palatable.

Scutaro's contact skills and versatility make him perhaps the most appealing shortstop available via free agency or trade, though he turned 34 last month.

Wagner Will Be Presented With Offers Next Week

Bean Stringfellow, agent for free agent reliever Billy Wagner, said that a few interested clubs will be presenting his client with offers "sometime next week," according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. Eight clubs have shown interest in Wagner, and all eight have the intention of using him as their closer according to his agent.

Stringfellow also indicated that Wagner is open to going back to Boston, even though he wouldn't be closing. He has “no doubt” the club will offer the Type-A free agent arbitration, and feels "Wagner will have enough offers in hand prior to that date that an informed decision can be made by the pitcher in regards to a possible return to the Red Sox."

Red Sox Acquire Tug Hulett

The Red Sox have acquired utility player Tug Hulett from the Royals, according to Bob Dutton of The KC Star. The Royals will receive either cash or a player to be named later in the deal.

The 26-year-old Hulett has hit .194/.270/.254 in 75 career plate appearances in the big leagues, spending most of the last three seasons in Triple-A. He's a career .284/.394/.418 hitter in the minors, and is capable of playing second, third, and short.

Red Sox Interested In Justin Duchscherer

A major league source tells Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FoxSports.com that the Red Sox are interested in righthander Justin Duschscherer as a starting pitcher.

The 32-year-old missed all of 2009 following surgery on both his hip and throwing elbow, plus a bout with clinical depression that ESPN's Jerry Crasnick chronicled today. Duchscherer was originally drafted by Boston back in 1996, and has a 3.14 career ERA in 27 starts and 192 relief appearances.

Red Sox Making Push For Halladay

3:05pm: Not so fast, says John Tomase of The Boston Herald. He writes that a team source "made it clear today the Red Sox recognize that swinging any deal for Halladay will likely be a lengthy process." The Winter Meetings are just 11 days away.

Meanwhile, both Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com and Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston put their two cents in about a potential Halladay-to-Boston deal.

8:17am: The Boston Red Sox are aggressively pursuing Roy Halladay, hoping to get a trade worked out before the winter meetings, according to Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the New York Daily News.

The Daily News report cites an unnamed source that claims the Sox are "putting on a full-court press" in the negotiations for Halladay. Since new Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos is willing to trade Toronto's ace within the division, the Red Sox and Yankees are considered frontrunners in the Halladay sweepstakes, with the Angels and Dodgers also in the mix. For either AL East powerhouse, acquiring the right-hander would not only bolster their rotation, but would keep him away from a division rival.

Feinsand and Madden suggest that the Sox would have to give up at least Clay Buchholz and Casey Kelly in order to get a deal done with the Jays.

Odds & Ends: Lincecum, Gonzalez, Damon

Let's check out some Wednesday morning links….

Red Sox Search For Starting Pitching

Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe writes today that adding starting pitching depth will be one of the main priorities for the Boston Red Sox this winter.

The team's current rotation has some question marks after Jon Lester and Josh Beckett. Daisuke Matsuzaka and Tim Wakefield are coming off injuries in 2009, and Wakefield will turn 44 next summer. Clay Buchholz, meanwhile, has never pitched a full season in the majors.

Abraham thinks it's unlikely that the Red Sox pursue a top free agent arm like John Lackey or Randy Wolf, but believes they'll focus on the second tier of high-upside pitchers recovering from injuries. We heard yesterday that Boston has some interest in Kelvim Escobar. Abraham names a few other notable potential targets: Ben Sheets, Rich Harden, Erik Bedard, and Justin Duchscherer.

Of course, the Roy Halladay rumors continue to persist as well. In a separate piece, Abraham blogs that he feels Halladay would be worth the price for the Red Sox (the price, presumably, being Buchholz, Casey Kelly, and another prospect or two).

Show all