Pirates Intensify Pursuit Of Bobby Crosby

The Pirates are intensifying their pursuit of Bobby Crosby, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Now that the Tigers have signed Adam Everett, there aren't a ton of free agent shortstops out there, and the Pirates appear intent on giving incumbent Ronny Cedeno competition for the starting job.

The Rockies also have interest in Crosby. The former Rookie of the Year hasn't had an OPS above .652 since 2005.

Angels Rumors: Bay, Matsui, Lackey, Halladay

The Angels will consider Jason Bay, Hideki Matsui and Vladimir Guerrero as they look to add offense, according to Mike DiGiovanna of the LA Times. Here are the details and the rest of his rumors:

  • Talks with Bay are just starting, but GM Tony Reagins says he finds the free agent "appealing."
  • Matsui and Guerrero are both options, too, though they profile as DHs. Bay played the field every day last year.
  • Reagins said the Angels have had "reasonably productive" conversations with John Lackey.
  • Could Roy Halladay end up replacing Lackey atop the team's rotation? The Angels will pursue the Blue Jays ace.

Mark DeRosa To Turn Down Arbitration

Mark DeRosa will turn down the Cardinals' offer of arbitration, according to MLB.com's Matthew Leach. The utilityman seeks a multi-year deal worth $27MM or so, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney, so the decision is hardly a surprise.

DeRosa is still interested in returning to the Cardinals and his representatives will meet with team brass tomorrow. If the 34-year-old signs elsewhere, the Cards pick up a supplemental round pick in next year's draft, since DeRosa is a Type B free agent.

Jason Bay To Turn Down Arbitration

Jason Bay's agent, Joe Urbon, just confirmed some unsurprising news to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. The left fielder will turn down the team's arbitration offer and continue to explore the open market. Bay's Type A status assures the Red Sox two top picks if another team out-bids them.

Bay has already turned down one offer from the Red Sox, and is starting to discuss a possible deal with the Angels according to one report.

Millwood Interests A Few Teams

Kevin Millwood is drawing interest from "a few" teams, according to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, but that doesn't mean the Rangers have to deal the veteran righty. GM Jon Daniels told Durrett that the team doesn't have to shed payroll.

We heard that the Orioles are interested in Millwood. Who else might have an eye for the 34-year-old and his $12MM salary? The Mets, perhaps?

Looper Interested In Pitching For The Cubs

Braden Looper tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that he would pitch for the Cubs. Looper says they're an "appealing" destination, partly because he has three kids going to Chicago schools. Still, the 35-year-old wouldn't mind pitching elsewhere.

"I'm going to look around and see what my options are," Looper said.

So far the righty says discussions have been slow to develop. Looper has pitched his entire 12-year career in the NL and it seems likely he'll stay in the senior circuit.

Red Sox Sign Marco Scutaro

3:23pm:  The signing is now official, according to a team press release.  Interesting press conference note from Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe: he tweets that Scutaro said another team offered more money.

FRIDAY, 9:08am: ESPN's Buster Olney has the terms on Scutaro: $1MM signing bonus, $5MM in 2010, $5MM in 2011, and a 2012 option with a $6MM club option, $3MM player option, and $1.5MM buyout.  That makes it a two-year, $12.5MM deal – less than I thought he'd receive.

THURSDAY, 10:01pm:  The deal will include a mutual option for a third year, according to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald (via Twitter).

9:46pm:  Price also reports that it is a two-year deal (via Twitter).  The signing will result in Toronto receiving a supplemental pick and Boston's first rounder (#29), provided that they do not sign a higher-ranking Type A free agent who was offered arbitration.

9:37pm: The Red Sox have agreed to terms with Scutaro, pending a physical, according to Ed Price of FanHouse.com (via Twitter).

9:26pm: A report from Venezuelan outlet Lider, passed along by Jorge Arangure of ESPN Deportes (via Twitter), claims that Scutaro has signed with the Red Sox.  However, there is no additional confirmation at this time.

4:39pm: ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that Scutaro worked out for the Red Sox near his home in Miami earlier this week. Special assistant to the GM Allard Baird was in attendance, and it's "believed the workout helped alleviate some concerns the Red Sox had over a heel injury that sidelined Scutaro for the final two weeks of the 2009 season."

11:05am: We know the Red Sox are considering other options, including Orlando Hudson, but Marco Scutaro still interests Theo Epstein & Co. Here's the latest on the shortstop:

  • The Red Sox asked for Marco Scutaro's medical records, according to Venezuelan journalist Augusto Cardenas. Scutaro told Cardenas that he hasn't yet received a formal offer from Boston.
  • It would be a surprise to see Scutaro accept the Jays' arbitration offer, but the club is prepated to re-position Scutaro in the outfield if he accepts, according to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian.  
  • The Boston Herald reports that the Red Sox are interested in Jamey Carroll.

Eight Teams Interested In Carroll

There's no shortage of interest in Jamey Carroll this year. Ed Price of AOL FanHouse reports that the Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers, A's, Rangers, Pirates, Reds and Indians all have interest in the 35-year-old utility man. We know the Marlins are interested, too.

Carroll hit .276/.355/.340 with the Indians last year, spending most of his time at second and third, and playing some outfield as well. UZR/150 suggests Carroll has been an above-average defender at second base over the course of the last five years. 

Odds & Ends: Jenks, Polanco, Tate, Marquis

Some links for Thursday…

Mariners Pushing For Jason Bay

The Mariners are making a "concerted push" for free agent left fielder Jason Bay, according to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times. We've seen the Mariners linked to the Canadian before, but this is the first indication that they've intensified their pursuit.

The Mariners were an excellent defensive team last year, but appear willing to tolerate below-average defense from Bay as long as he hits. Bay would cost the Mariners their 18th overall pick in next year's draft.

This is the second time in as many days that we've seen the Mariners linked to a British Columbia native. The team is also interested in righty Rich Harden, according to FOX Sports.

Bay's agent, Joe Urbon, told WEEI.com earlier in the week that he expects his client to remain in contact with the Red Sox.