Out Of Options 2012
The following 40-man roster players have less than five years service time and are out of minor league options. That means they must clear waivers before being sent to the minors. I've included players on multiyear deals. This list was compiled through MLBTR's sources.
Check Out HoopsRumors.com
One week ago I proudly announced the newest site in our network, Hoops Rumors. If you're an NBA fan and you enjoy our transaction-related coverage, please check it out.
AL East Links: Vlad, Theo, Red Sox
One AL East player has avoided arbitration in designated hitter David Ortiz, and another is close in reliever Casey Janssen. The latest from the division:
- "Vladimir Guerrero has made it known to the Yankees that he wants their DH spot," tweets ESPN's Buster Olney, but Raul Ibanez remains the frontrunner. Ibanez had a slightly worse 2011 season, but the Yankees seem to prefer his left-handed bat.
- The Cubs and Red Sox submitted briefs regarding the Theo Epstein compensation issue, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, and a decision could come this week.
- Red Sox GM Ben Cherington told WEEI after the Ortiz settlement that he doesn't expect any major moves between now and when pitchers and catchers report Sunday, but added, "We're still working on some stuff." WEEI's Rob Bradford hears there's still no traction with Roy Oswalt.
- Orioles executive director of international recruiting Fred Ferreira will still fly to the Dominican Republic this weekend to scout six Cuban players, including outfielder Jorge Soler, he told Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com. The Orioles had interest in Yoenis Cespedes, but Ferreira isn't surprised or disappointed about not getting him.
- Matt Moore, Dylan Bundy, Manny Machado, Travis d'Arnaud, Jake Marisnick, Manny Banuelos, Xander Bogaerts, Gary Sanchez, Brandon Jacobs, Daniel Norris, Will Middlebrooks, Dellin Betances, Hak-Ju Lee, Anthony Gose, Jonathan Schoop, Noah Syndergaard, Ryan Lavarnway, and Mason Williams are the division's best prospects, based on Kevin Goldstein's recently-released top 101 prospects list for Baseball Prospectus. Jacobs, Norris, and Syndergaard didn't merit mentions on Keith Law's top 100 or his "just missed" list for ESPN. On the other hand, Law included Drew Hutchison, Chris Archer, Enny Romero, Mikie Mahtook, Taylor Guerrieri, Aaron Sanchez, and Blake Swihart on his list and Goldstein did not.
Jose Veras Had Arbitration Hearing
Brewers reliever Jose Veras had his arbitration hearing today, according to the Associated Press. Veras submitted a $2.375MM figure, while the team went with $2MM. The decision from arbitrators Dan Brent, Marlene Gold, and John Sands is expected tomorrow.
Veras, 31, posted a 3.80 ERA with 79 strikeouts in 71 innings for the Pirates last year, and was traded to Milwaukee for Casey McGehee in December. McGehee appears headed for a hearing as well.
Blue Jays Nearing Two-Year Deal With Janssen
The Blue Jays are nearing a two-year deal with reliever Casey Janssen that includes a third-year option, tweets Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca. As the Blue Jays are a file and trial team, a multiyear deal was the only way to the impending arbitration hearing. Janssen and the Jays had a $400K spread, with $2.2MM and $1.8MM submissions, respectively. The two-year deal would buy out one free agent year with an option on a second.
Janssen, 30, posted a 2.26 ERA, 8.6 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, 0.32 HR/9, and 47.3% groundball rate in 55 2/3 innings last year. He earned $1.095MM in 2011, his second arbitration year. Janssen's extension would mark the seventh in the career of Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos, according to our transaction tracker.
Potential Fits For Mike Gonzalez
33-year-old southpaw Mike Gonzalez may be the best available reliever, and he's got the Boras Corporation on his side. However, with pitchers and catchers due to report in a week, financial resources and roster spots are limited for most teams. Here are some potential fits for Gonzalez, who posted a 4.39 ERA, 8.6 K/9, 3.5 BB/9, 1.18 HR/9, and 40.9% groundball rate for the Orioles and Rangers in 2011.
- Earlier this month, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweeted that the Rangers are still in on Gonzalez, for whom they could find money by trading Koji Uehara. As of January, Michael Kirkman and Martin Perez were the Rangers' top candidates to fill a lefty relief role, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. Since then, the team added Joe Beimel and Mitch Stetter on minor league deals.
- The Yankees are going with Boone Logan as their primary lefty, with Rule 5 pick Cesar Cabral also needing a 25-man roster spot if he is to be retained. Hideki Okajima and Michael O'Connor will be in camp on minor league deals.
- Assuming Travis Wood makes the Cubs' rotation, they'll have Jeff Beliveau, John Gaub, Scott Maine, James Russell, and Trever Miller looking to fill the lefty reliever void created by the Sean Marshall trade. The Cubs had to sacrifice Blake DeWitt to find a 40-man roster spot for Adrian Cardenas, however, and someone else would have to go if Gonzalez were to sign a Major League deal.
- The Astros have lefty relievers, but they could represent Gonzalez's best chance to return to closing if he'll accept a meager salary. The team's pen is unsettled after the Mark Melancon trade.
- The Brewers will have Zach Braddock and Manny Parra vying for a lefty reliever job, with non-roster invitees Juan Perez and Daniel Meadows also in the discussion. The team might not have a few million in the budget for Gonzalez, but they've got a $375K swing assuming they go to an arbitration hearing with reliever Jose Veras.
- The Dodgers have Scott Elbert as their main lefty reliever, with names such as Michael Antonini, John Grabow, Wil Ledezma, and Alberto Castillo trying to grab another spot. Finding a roster opening could be the biggest stumbling block.
- Lefties Josh Spence and Joe Thatcher are penciled into the Padres' bullpen, but Gonzalez would make a nice addition for the Padres behind Huston Street.
Red Sox, David Ortiz Settle At Midpoint
Hours before today's arbitration hearing, the Red Sox and designated hitter David Ortiz settled at the midpoint for $14.575MM, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney. The new contract represents the largest-ever average annual value for a DH, notes WEEI's Rob Bradford. Had Ortiz and the Red Sox reached a hearing, a panel of three arbitrators would have chosen between Boston's $12.65MM submission and Ortiz's $16.5MM salary figure for 2012. Ortiz is represented by Fern Cuza of SFX.
Potentially inhibited by the cost of a draft pick, Ortiz accepted an arbitration offer from the Red Sox in December, and it took the looming threat of a hearing to force a settlement. I favored the Red Sox in a potential hearing, but they preferred not to risk a situation many regard as a crapshoot. As a bonus, they were able to avoid Ortiz having a front-row seat for their attempt to prove he's worth less than the midpoint.
Six potential arbitration hearings remain, as our tracker shows: Alexi Casilla (Twins), Casey Janssen (Blue Jays), Adam Jones (Orioles), Garrett Jones (Pirates), Casey McGehee (Pirates), and Jose Veras (Brewers).
Indians Close To Deal With Jon Garland
The Indians are working on a deal for free agent righty Jon Garland, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. This morning ESPN's Buster Olney tweeted that Garland "is getting a minor league deal" with the Indians, but still has to pass his physical. Garland, 32, made nine starts for the Dodgers to begin the 2011 season before having July surgery to clean out debris in his shoulder.
Two weeks after the surgery, Garland said he expected to be ready for spring training, explaining to MLB.com's Ken Gurnick and AJ Cassavell, "I was very satisfied with what the doctor said. He's upbeat. The labrum was almost pristine. The cuff was a little worse than he thought, but a lot of what he found was just scar tissue and bursitis. He shaved down the bone so things move smoothly. A layoff like this can only help the rest of my body."
The Indians added Derek Lowe and Kevin Slowey this offseason, with the latter likely battling for the fifth starter job with David Huff and Jeanmar Gomez, according to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian. Fausto Carmona, who was previously penciled in, is an unknown due to false identity charges.
Prior to 2011, Garland had posted nine consecutive seasons of at least 190 regular season innings. He signed a team-friendly one-year, $5MM deal with the Dodgers in November of 2010. At that time it seemed likely to become a two-year, $13MM contract, as an $8MM option for 2012 was to vest with Garland's customary 190 innings. Now it seems the California native may wind up back in the AL Central, after spending the first eight seasons of his career with the White Sox.
This post was originally published on February 13th.
Rangers, Nelson Cruz Agree To Two-Year Deal
Nelson Cruz passed his physical, and his two-year deal with the Rangers is worth $16MM plus incentives, MLBTR has learned. The ACES client had an arbitration hearing scheduled for next week.
Cruz, 31, hit .263/.312/.509 with 29 home runs in 513 plate appearances last year, adding eight more homers in 70 postseason PAs. The right fielder's arbitration case seemingly had some bearing on those of Adam Jones and Alex Gordon, who remain unsigned.
Cruz will be eligible for free agency upon the completion of his two-year deal. His .540 slugging percentage since 2008 ranks sixth in MLB among those with at least 1500 plate appearances. Health has been the only obstacle for the late-blooming Cruz, who has averaged 120 regular season games over the past three years.
The Rangers extended shortstop Elvis Andrus yesterday, so Mike Napoli is their only remaining unsigned arbitration eligible player. Napoli's hearing is scheduled for Wednesday of next week, with a $3.2MM salary spread.
Photo courtesy of Icon SMI.
Padres To Sign Jeff Suppan
3:05pm: Suppan will earn $950K if he makes the Major League roster, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets. He obtained an invitation to Spring Training.
12:07pm: The Padres will sign righty Jeff Suppan to a minor league deal today, reports MLB.com's Corey Brock. Suppan is represented by Lapa/Leventhal.
Suppan, 37, posted a 4.78 ERA, 5.1 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, 1.25 HR/9, and 10.1 H/9 in 165 2/3 innings for the Royals' Triple-A affiliate last year. The 16-year MLB veteran has 138 wins and a 4.69 ERA in his career.

