Some news and notes from around the majors….
- Giants blogger Grant of The McCovey Chronicles notes the potential downsides for San Francisco if they were to sign Jason Bay, Jermaine Dye and/or Bengie Molina.
- With rumors again swirling that the Phillies will make a play for Roy Halladay, Scott Lauber of the News Journal looks at a Baseball America listing of Philadelphia's top prospects, with an eye towards which of these youngsters could head to Toronto in a trade.
- Speaking of Halladay, The Seattle Times' Larry Stone believes that if the Mariners do decide to move Felix Hernandez, they will do so without being as public as the Blue Jays were about dealing their ace last summer.
- Dick Kaegel of MLB.com reports that the Royals outrighted pitchers Yasuhiko Yabuta and Lenny DiNardo to Triple-A Omaha, leaving them both eligible for free agency. Neither move was a surprise, particularly given that Kansas City already declined Yabuta's $4MM option for 2010.
- Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles signed catcher Michel Hernandez. The 31-year-old Hernandez will get an invite to spring training to vie for the backup catcher's job. Hernandez has a .237/.286/.305 career line in 127 plate appearances with Tampa Bay and New York.