More random rumors and reading material!
- Baseball Prospectus’ Nate Silver discusses Ryan Braun’s undeniably terrible defense at third base, suggesting some interesting trade and signing permutations to get him into right field. Also note that Kevin Kouzmanoff is a butcher at third; maybe the Friars will be in the market for Mike Lowell this winter (a player they’ve expressed interest in in the past).
- Awesome headline for this Garrett Atkins article. Steve King discusses how the Phillies would be a fine fit for a trade, throwing the Dodgers, Twins, Angels, and Astros into the mix as well. Note that Atkins has a career line of .269/.344/.437 on the road and .336/.399/.528 at Coors.
- Sid Hartman is hearing that Walt Jocketty could end up in Baltimore.
- The Daily Herald’s Scot Gregor proposes some kind of Jon Garland for Bill Hall swap, or even a Carl Crawford acquisition by the White Sox. I don’t think the Sox and Rays match up too well for that.
- I thought he’d stay, but Joe Torre has turned down a one-year, $5MM offer from the Yankees. The proposal had another $3MM in incentives and a vesting option for 2009 if the Yanks won the ’08 World Series.
- It’s Hiroshima or MLB for Hiroki Kuroda. Apparently the Ms already have their eye on him. Paul Sullivan also said recently that the Cubs will be in the mix.