Another day, another Ken Rosenthal column.
- The A’s have payroll flexibility, and are expressing "strong interest" in free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal. Bobby Crosby is set to earn $5.25MM in ’09, but it makes sense to upgrade.
- Contrary to previous reports, Rosenthal says the Tigers are not in on Furcal. They’ll also pass on Francisco Rodriguez, which was expected.
- Rosenthal discusses possible fits for Milton Bradley, including the Rays, Rangers, Blue Jays, Mets, Cardinals, and Phillies. It will be hard to overlook the health risk and give Bradley a three-year deal, especially for an NL club.
- Rosenthal confirms interest in Khalil Greene from the Orioles and Reds. The Blue Jays and Tigers have also been mentioned.
- There’s no way the Phillies can afford Manny Ramirez; a look at their ’09 commitments makes that clear.
- The Royals hope to sign Zack Greinke and Alex Gordon to long-term extensions. Rosenthal feels trade discussions could pick up for Greinke if the Royals can’t sign him. Keith Law said the same yesterday.
- The Padres will exercise Brian Giles’ $9MM option in the next day or two.