The Blue Jays do not have to decide on any club options after the 2009 season. They do, however, have many veterans with contracts ending after the 2010 season. Let's take a look at those signed through next season:
- J.P. Ricciardi. Contracts don't typically stop teams from firing GMs when they feel it's necessary, so it won't matter that Ricciardi is signed through 2010. Manager Cito Gaston is also signed through next year.
- Scott Rolen – $11MM. Rolen receives an additional $4MM bonus in 2010, but the Cardinals are paying it. Rolen is off to a nice .319/.377/.435 start in 77 plate appearances this year.
- Roy Halladay – $15.75MM. Ricciardi told ESPN's Jayson Stark he wants to discuss an extension with Halladay at the end of the year.
- B.J. Ryan – $10MM. Ryan hit the DL last week after a rough start to the year. He'll need to turn it around if the Jays are to move his contract.
- Lyle Overbay – $7MM. Overbay has been incredible so far in 2009 – .289/.458/.578 in 59 plate appearances. Perhaps the last year of his deal will be seen as a bargain.
- Scott Downs – $4MM. I wasn't thrilled with the Downs extension in January of 2008, but he's proven his '07 breakout was no fluke. Downs may represent a cheap, excellent closer for Toronto this year and in 2010.