Your Thursday links, with more to come…
- Andy Martino of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the Phillies have acquired RHP Manny Ayala from the San Diego Padres for a player to be named later. Ayala will probably spend the entire '09 season in the minors.
- According to Steve Holley of Scout.com, the A's have plucked right-hander Rocky Roquet from the Cubs for a player to be named later. He's another minor league guy.
- The Boston Globe's Tony Massarotti would like the Red Sox to pursure Frank Catalanotto, but writes that there's "no indication that they plan to do so."
- Marc Hulet over at BaseballAnalysts.com reviews the production of the 2008 Rule 5 Draft class. It's not a very impressive group.
- SI.com's Jon Heyman explores the Rays' and Phillies' offseasons.
- Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel wonders if Tony Gwynn Jr. could be on the way out.
- Even with the loss of Matt Holliday and Brian Fuentes, the Rockies will come close to setting a franchise payroll record this season.