Indians GM Mark Shapiro spoke with the Cleveland Plain Dealer about the Tribe. Here are the highlights:
- Shapiro describes his "sense of urgency" regarding the team's shaky bullpen. He suggests he could look to their minor league teams, to the free agent pool or to other teams' minor leaguers to resotre order in the 'pen. So far they've signed Luis Vizcaino.
- He says he's not looking for a bat or a starter.
- Shapiro wants to contend this year and believes he can, given that the AL Central's relatively weak.
- The Indians can't wait until July to make moves and stabilize the 'pen.
- Shapiro says last offseason he had the chance to deal Rafael Perez for a number of players who now hold starting jobs in the major leagues.