Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes was forthcoming, talking to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic today. Highlights:
- Payroll will likely be higher than the season-ending mark of $73MM. They have about $60MM committed for 2010, assuming Conor Jackson is retained. GM Josh Byrnes may have $15MM+ to spend.
- Byrnes has until the December 12th non-tender deadline to decide on Jackson, who must be paid at least $2.44MM if tendered a contract. Byrnes intends to use that time to gather information, but his comments had a positive vibe.
- Free agents Doug Davis and Chad Tracy are not expected to return in 2010 (Tracy has a $7MM club option that will certainly be declined). It'll be interesting to see who the D'Backs acquire to replace Davis.
- Brandon Allen does not have a lock on the first base job. Second base will probably be filled internally.
- Byrnes admitted "the roster crunch on Eric Byrnes is pretty real," implying the could release the outfielder and eat $11MM.