Links for Tuesday, as catcher Chris Iannetta rejoins the Rockies after a torrid Triple A stint…
- Kameron Loe has a clause in his contract that allows him to ask for his release if he isn't in the major leagues by June 5th, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Loe is pitching well for the Brewers' Triple A affiliate.
- Morosi also notes that Rich Hill, who is pitching at Triple A for the Cardinals, has a June 1st opt-out clause in his contract (Twitter link).
- Rocco Baldelli tells Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal that he hasn't thought about returning to the majors for a team other than the Rays. Baldelli says he would prefer the Rays to another organization.
- Omar Vizquel says he will likely retire if he doesn't finish the year well, according to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times.
- The Rays released Eduardo Morlan and Cody Strait, according to Stacy Long of the Montgomery Advertiser. The Rays acquired Morlan in the Matt Garza–Delmon Young trade.
- Click here to listen to my appearance today with Jeff & Jeff of KFNS St. Louis.
- Yahoo's Jeff Passan tells the story of Sergio Santos, a converted shortstop who has a 0.52 ERA and 10.9 K/9 as a White Sox reliever.
- Baseball America's Jim Callis compares Manny Machado to other high school shortstops in recent draft history. Yesterday in his mock draft ESPN's Keith Law wrote that the Pirates have Machado and lefty Drew Pomeranz high on their list for the second overall pick.
- AOL FanHouse's Frankie Piliere is hearing buzz about the Reds considering Alex Wimmers with the #12 pick (Twitter link). Law had the Ohio State righty going 16th to the Cubs, picking catcher Yasmani Grandal for the Reds.
- Law ranked James Paxton 12th overall, but doesn't project the lefty as a first-round pick. Paxton, a Boras client, is now pitching independent ball after losing his NCAA eligibility. According to Matthew Sekeres of The Globe and Mail, Paxton has no ill will toward Paul Beeston and the Blue Jays.
Carlos Marmol is a converted catcher, so both sides of town boast unhittable relievers who used to be position players!
Sergio Santos is doing great. All the more reason to trade away Bobby Jenks.
We don’t want to just throw him out there, put him in some high pressure innings and see what happens first.
What about his facial hair!?
Looking more and more like the O’s are going to have their shot at Taillon at #3. Really hope my White Sox take a high upside type arm as it sounds like their focusing on pitching but I’m fulling expecting a college arm they’ll probably try and mold into Mike Leake.
You don’t mold a mike leake…there is a reason only like 21 pitchers have EVER skipped the minors
Dear Neal Huntington,
Take Taillon. For the love of God..please.
I might rather have Machado if I’m you guys. He’s got upside with the bat, plays a skill position, will cost less, and has higher probability. Then they can spend over-slot money on arms with upside later in the draft like they did last year.
I wouldn’t really mind Machado…I wouldn’t. But it’s been so long since the Pirates have had anything even resembling an ace in their system or on the major league ball club. Not since Doug Drabek left town 18 years ago…hmm, sounds familiar…it’s not a coincidence.
If they take Machado and are able to execute the same plan they did last year, then I’m fine with that. I’d just rather see the big splash with an electric arm like Taillon this time around like they did with Alvarez and give the fans something else to be excited about.
what difference does it make if pujols’ agent left beverly hills? doesn’t lozano represent like 20 other players. now if it said where he was going (st .louis)..this might be a story.
hell, couldn’t it have something to do with a rod barajas trade? he’s a lozano client as well. just making some guesses.
That’s funny. I could’ve sworn Vizquel retired after the ’06 season.