The latest Red Sox rumors, courtesy of Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald…
- The Red Sox are expected to explore signing free agent Grady Sizemore as a right field option, a team source tells Silverman. Sizemore would not rule out playing a corner outfield position for the first time in his MLB career, said agent Joe Urbon. An incentive-laden contract for Sizemore would likely include a player option, writes Silverman. Sizemore ranks 26th on my top 50 free agents list.
- Predict which top free agents the Red Sox and other teams will sign in our new contest for a chance to win awesome prizes.
- In declining Dan Wheeler's $3MM option yesterday, new Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said, "We didn’t feel like we could commit to that money this early in the offseason."
- Cherington hinted that the team's shortstop surplus could be helpful on the trade market.
- The Red Sox made no offer for Derek Lowe, said Cherington.
- The Red Sox were "expected to go after C.C. Sabathia hard, if only to drive his price tag in New York higher," hears Silverman. Sabathia completed a contract extension last night.
- Though Commissioner Bud Selig could step in as early as today to resolve the Theo Epstein compensation talks, Silverman doesn't think it's a hard deadline.