The Mets and Dodgers could help each other with a trade of Daniel Murphy for a reliever, speculates ESPN's Buster Olney. While the Mets need bullpen help, the Dodgers would use Murphy at third base, which the Mets feel is his best position (and where he's blocked by David Wright in New York). The two sides came close to a trade involving Murphy last December.
Here's the latest from around the NL East…
- R.A. Dickey had to struggle just to stick with the Mets, relates Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal in this story of how Dickey went from being the low man on the Mets roster to one of baseball's biggest surprises of 2012.
- The Mets passed on re-signing Chris Capuano since they didn't think the lefty could handle a starting role and wasn't worth a two-year contract, writes Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. Capuano has enjoyed a big comeback season with the Dodgers, with whom he signed a two-year, $10MM deal last winter.
- Several of the Marlins' top executives were called to Miami for a meeting today, according to Clark Spencer of the MIami Herald. Sources are split on whether the meeting is standard business or "is anything but" normal procedure, as Spencer figures the club's disastrous June record will be the major topic of conversation in either case.
- David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News breaks down how much payroll the Phillies have spent by position over the last five seasons, with the bullpen getting less of a share every year.
- If you missed it earlier tonight, the Phillies have explored trading Jim Thome to an American League team.
Manager nobody on the team respects (nor has any reason to) and began the season dicing a good portion of the communities population. Several players not performing, 1 horrible FA sign in Bell. Beinfest, who should have been tossed long ago. Sanchez struggling still. Lomo struggling until June..
It has been a tough year so far and probably will be long after Guillen is eventually canned. They really made a mistake firing Fredi Gonzalez and have hired losers ever since, except for long retired “Trader” Jack, whom nobody could expect to return at his advanced age and got more from the young kids than anyone could ever expect.
As a Braves fan you can have Fredi Gonzalez back.
We haven’t had a good bullpen since 2008. Romero and Madson as the bridge to Lidge was key in the post season. Even Durbin was a major contributor that year.
The real problem with the bullpen this year is that Bastardo’s lost his confidence (which really started in September of last year), Stutes has been hurt and he lost the feel of his slurve, and DeFratus has been hurt. Those are three promising young arms that either haven’t produced as expected or haven’t been on the field.
What would be the point of adding Murphy? He’s basically the same player as Loney, and we’re trying to get rid of him…
Rubby de la Rosa for Daniel Murphy. Am I trolling right?
Eovaldi..De la rosa.. Baldwin..Pederson St.Clair for Wright 🙂 he just hit a homerun :(….
Will the Mets trade Daniel Murphy if they don’t expect to keep David Wright past this season?
They do expect to keep him
the Phillies need to do something fast or this season could be over they will have to battle in their games now through the end of the season and it’s gonna be a long long summer for the Phillies and I’m a die hard fan saying this. But you know whatLET’S GO PHILLIES AND LET’S GO CHSE UTLEY AND RYAN HOWARD AND ROY HALLADAY HOPE ROY GETS BACK SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!