Today's minor moves..
- The Yankees released Double-A right-hander Adam Miller, tweets Josh Norris of The Trentonian. Miller was ranked as Baseball America's #16 prospect after the 2004 season.
- Right-hander Ysmael Carmona was released by the Angels, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America (via Twitter). Carmona made the club's 40-man roster after the 2010 season but has struggled with shoulder issues ever since.
- The Reds released Double-A first baseman Joel Guzman, Eddy tweets. The 27-year-old last appeared in the majors with the Rays in 2007.
- The Cubs cut first baseman Jair Bogaerts, the twin brother of Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts, according to Eddy (via Twitter). Bogaerts came to Chicago as a throw-in in the Theo Epstein compensation trade.
- The Indians released outfielder Ben Copeland, tweets Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus. The fourth-round pick in 2005 was a former member of the Giants farm system.
- The Pirates have traded minor league right-hander Shairon Martis to the Twins, tweets Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Biertempfel also tweets that the two sides have yet to work out what the Pittsburgh will receive in return. Martis, 25, has a 4.96 ERA with 5.4 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 in 15 appearances in Double-A and Triple-A. The hurler also appeared in 20 games for the Nationals in 2008 and 2009.
Traded him for? Sort of a key piece of info . . .
Use your imagination.
Thankfully Bill Smith is no longer GM, or this could be closer to the truth than any Twins fan wants to imagine.
In related news, Shairon Martis has been named the Ace of the Twins as well as the closer.
Gardenhire ” He will start every 5th day, pitch 6 innings, go to the pen and loosen up during the 7and 8th, then close out his own game. Should be in line for a win and save”
@ Drew: The return to the Pirates from the Twins is still TBD, which is why I haven’t reported it yet. It is sorta a key piece of info, but I’m not gonna just make it up.
I love these deals.
“Hey Terry, do you guys want Shairon Martis?”
“Sure Neal, what do you want for him?”
“Idk let’s figure it out later.”
“Done deal. Let’s announce it.”
How much would it take to acquire Trevor Plouffe, A good hitter in the AL?
Please be Miquel Sano…
If you think the Twins would trade Sano for a AAAA pitcher, you’re on crack.
What’s more unbelievable is that the Twins picked a 29-year old journeyman over prospcts like Rudy Owens, Brian Morris, Daniel Moskos, and Justin Wilson.
whats even more unbelievable is hes 25 not 29
whats even more unbelievable is this stuff on my toast, it’s certainly not butter.
I’m guessing cash or the ever-popular “future considerations”
More likely for future considerations.
This has always struck me as a fancy word for Snack Packs for the team.. or something like that
For Nick Blackburn! Please do us all a favor and get rid of blackie.
That would be awesome. Blackburn has no business being on a MLB pitching mound right now.
What’s wrong with Adam Miller? By looking at his numbers… he looked OK before 2008. and he wasn’t TERRIBLE the past couple of years… walk numbers (BB/9 and K:BB) are the only ones that jump out at me. Although, that amount of time between GP usually means major surgery…