One of the largest trades in baseball history was made official on Saturday, but here's a look at what else is going on in baseball…
- The Giants' search for an outfielder is going "nowhere fast," reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter links). The Dodgers and Diamondbacks have waiver priority and can block deals, though San Francisco likes having Gregor Blanco's defense in left for their fly ball pitching staff.
- Following their recent major move, the Red Sox want to keep Cody Ross according to Rosenthal (on Twitter). Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston says that Ross knows this and an extension could happen before the end of the season (Twitter links). Talks have not yet begun, however.
- The Rangers have claimed a number of players this month, including Justin Upton according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. The club is looking for a number of ways to improve prior to August 31st.
- Before moving on to Adrian Gonzalez, the Dodgers made another attempt to acquire Justin Morneau last week according to Dylan Hernandez of The Los Angeles Times. They tried to land the Twins' slugger prior to the trade deadline as well.
- There is mutual interest between the Marlins and Carlos Lee about a return next season, reports MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. Earlier this month we heard that Lee wanted to return to Miami, but the club's intentions were unclear.
- Royals GM Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of The Kansas City Star that the team's focus this offseason will be the pitching staff, including an attempt to re-sign Jeremy Guthrie.
- Jonny Gomes told Susan Slusser of The San Francisco Chronicle that he would like to return to the Athletics next season. The 31-year-old is hitting .248/.360/.478 with 15 homers in 267 plate appearances this year.
I’d love to have Ross sign a two year extension with an option for a third at $7 MM per year.
That would be the perfect contract, it works for both the player and team, I like Ross a lot, so they better get it done, even if its 3 years without an option.
He’s also a pull hitter with a swing that’s virtually perfect for Fenway. He’s also a 3 WAR type player, so that kind of deal would provide value for the Red Sox and security for Ross.
Sounds good to me, though I doubt that the Sox would need the 3rd yr, as I expect that they’ll have developed some good in-house OF talent by then.
Wonder why the Giants didn’t claim Upton? He obviously got by the Dodgers. Probably cause the Dbacks wouldn’t let them have him.
Also, I find it interesting that the Dodgers/Red Sox deal discussions didn’t begin until after the Giants passed the Dodgers in the standings last week when they swept them. Were the Dodgers afraid the Giants would claim Gonzalez if they attempted to claim him while in 1st place? Did the Dodgers ask the Red Sox to not release him until they were behind the Giants in the standings? Did the Dodgers throw any of their games against the Giants in order to fall behind them in the standings? Doubt that, but the first two wouldn’t surprise me!
Yeah sure they threw games against their hated rival. Just ridiculous to even bring up. They were focused on Morneau and when that didn’t work out, Ben Cherington got a call.
Jesse Ventura, is that you?
Most of those questions are really far fetched.
I am surprised that nobody else claimed Gonzalez. And i know for sure the giants wouldnt claim him. They are just not interested at all in spending any kind of serious money. But with all of the wildcard contenders i thought somebody would claim him.
Carlos Lee and the Marlins are a perfect fit because neither cares at all about competing!
Ross the boss needs to stay in Boston, he reminds me of the Bill Mueller/ Kevin Millar days.
bill mueller… my all time favorite player.
a giants fan
Shocked the mets havent at least tried to trade Scott Hairston to the GIants…he’s a west coast guy and a decent bat against lefties..
then again, Sandy still wants the public to believe the mets are buyers !
buying what im not exactly sure of…
maybe real estate ?
The Giants need an OF? Jason Bay is available and can be had for a bag of peanuts!
The Giants need a productive outfielder. Bay isn’t better than what they have now.
So of the Twins had parted with Morneau, the Sox trade never would have happened.
What’s going in San Francisco? It has been about 2 weeks since Melky Cabrera has been suspended and the best we can do is Putting Gregor Balnco in Leftfield. What happened to Jeff Francour? The Giants have to make some moves in order to keep up with The dodgers. 1st Base, why don’t we get Justin Morneau? Outfielder Scott Hairston from The NY Mets? Starting Pitching, I know that Pittsburgh Pirates are done, why not acquire AJ Burnett? I know that San Diego Padres have Edison Voquiez available. Where are we going? Brian Sabean.