A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the last seven days:
- Host Jeff Todd welcomed the newly retired Bruce Chen to the latest installment of the MLB Trade Rumors Podcast. The left-hander reflected upon his decision to end a career which spanned 17 MLB seasons. CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney also joined Jeff to discuss the Cubs and their needs as the Trade Deadline nears. A new episode of MLB Trade Rumors Podcast will be released every Thursday and can be accessed on iTunes, SoundCloud, and Stitcher.
- Tim Dierkes revised MLBTR’s 2016 Free Agent Power Rankings. The top four players remained the same (Justin Upton, David Price, Johnny Cueto, and Jason Heyward) while Ian Desmond fell three spots to eighth.
- During a conference call announcing his six-year, $62.5MM contract with the Dodgers, Hector Olivera told Zach Links he had other suitors. “There were five teams that had interest in me [including] San Francisco, Atlanta, and Miami,” Olivera said through a translator. “But, in the end, I decided to sign with the Dodgers because I know that this is a great organization.”
- With Olivera now in the fold, Zach asked Dodgers President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman whether the signing creates trade possibilities. “I think having as many good players as possible helps you not only in constructing your own roster, but it allows you the opportunity to talk with more teams, If we’re ever complaining about having too much depth then that’s a good problem to have, but we’re certainly not there yet. Adding someone that has a chance to impact the game is obviously always a good thing.“
- With the amateur draft fast approaching, big bonuses dance in the dreams of high draft picks. But, for those taken much later in the draft like Josh Smith (chosen in the 21st round by the Reds in 2010), making ends meet can be just as important as developing your game. Smith recalls for Zach the second jobs he has had to take on, including lugging cement for a pool construction business and coaching the Diamondbacks’ 2014 top selection (16th overall) Touki Toussaint.
- Jeff asked MLBTR readers whether the Marlins made the right decision in hiring GM Dan Jennings as their new manager. Nearly 65% of you believe the move is destined to fail.
- Last February, Jeff asked MLBTR readers who will sign Rafael Soriano and more than a quarter of you predicted the Blue Jays. Charlie Wilmoth conducted a follow up with the readership and found the Cubs are now seen as the favorites to sign the reliever.
- Steve Adams hosted this week’s live chat.
- Zach assembled the best of the baseball blogosphere for you in Baseball Blogs Weigh In.