Here’s a roundup of original content from MLB Trade Rumors over the last seven days…
- In the latest edition of the MLBTR Mailbag, Steve Adams answers your questions about such topics as Carlos Gonzalez, Yoan Moncada, Kevin Pillar, Mike Moustakas and the Mets’ offseason needs.
- Twins reliever Trevor May is back with his latest contribution to the Player’s Perspective series, discussing how his time away from baseball (due to Tommy John rehab) has allowed him to revisit his childhood fandom of the sport.
- Jeff Todd lists the seven best waiver claims of the last 12 months, including three names (Doug Fister, Blake Parker, Stephen Vogt) that have made strong contributions to playoff contenders.
- The newest edition of Jason Martinez’s Knocking Down The Door series looks at some promising minor leaguers who could soon be appearing in the bigs as September callups. In fact, since Jason’s piece was published last Monday, two of the names mentioned (the Marlins’ Brian Anderson and the Cubs’ Dillon Maples) have been promoted and made their MLB debuts.
- Will Masahiro Tanaka opt out of his contract after the season and test free agency, or will he remain with the Yankees for the final three years (and $67MM) of his current deal? Connor Byrne posed the question to the readership in an MLBTR poll, with a slight majority (53% of respondents) believing that Tanaka will indeed opt out.
- Connor Byrne lists the top five contenders for the AL MVP Award, with the Astros’ Jose Altuve looking like the favorite going into the season’s final four weeks.