Cafardo’s Latest: Ramirez, Papelbon, Moss

Nick Cafardo spins Red Sox rumor gold in the Boston Globe.

  • Scott Boras is the spur in Manny Ramirez‘s side.  Cafardo interviews the Notorious One in the Boston Globe today.  Says Boras, "Our plan for him is in place. If you can make a player comfortable, you have the ability to make a player play well."  So far, so good.  He doesn’t speculate on the reality of a contract extension saying, "I communicate with [Theo Epstein] on a number of things and I really let the decision-making be theirs. It’s rare if they haven’t thought about what their future plans are for a player."
  • In that same piece, Cafardo quotes Jonathan Papelbon who is fine going year-to-year right now.  He says he’s comfortable with his ability and his salary and shrewdly knows he’d rather wait for a big payday than make a concession for security when his talent could go beyond what he signs for.
  • Two GMs apparently checked on the availability of Brandon Moss.  If the Sox were to trade Coco Crisp, they would have no backup while Bobby Kielty is hurt, so the man I call "Brandy Moss" is not expendable at this point.
  • From another source, Dan Kolb was released to make room for Devern Hansack in Pawtucket (say it with me: Puh-TUH-kit!).

By Nat Boyle

Will Salty Callup Lead To Laird Trade?

Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been called up, and GM Jon Daniels has no plans for him to warm the bench. Salty performed well at AAA Oklahoma, and when backup backstop Adam Melhuse broke a bone in his hand on Thursday, the call-up seemed imminent. However, incumbent Rangers catcher Gerald Laird has also been solid to start the season. Given the organization’s desire to get Saltalamacchia regular at-bats and the lackluster hitting of first baseman Ben Broussard, I think it’s likely that the defensively sub-par Salty will see at least some time at the "cold corner."

But with the Rangers off to an absolutely abysmal start–Buster Olney cites a scout today saying that the team looks "out of control"–we have to wonder when the Rangers will open up the treasure chest and share some of their backstop bounty with the rest of the league. As previously noted in this space, the team is expected to be sellers come July. In addition to Laird and Saltalamacchia, the Rangers also have three decent catching prospects. With catching talent so scarce, other GMs will likely come knocking sooner rather than later. Rumors about Laird have been flying to and fro since Texas acquired Saltalamacchia in the Mark Teixeira deal last summer, but Salty’s call-up means the clock has officially started ticking. Although Daniels said recently he wasn’t planning on trading Laird, I have a feeling he’s just playing hard to get. Some possible suitors? The Reds, the Mets, the Blue Jays, or the Red Sox.

Sarah Green writes for the Boston Metro and UmpBump.com. She can be reached here.

Colon Nearing Return, Opt-Out Date

For most of March, the Red Sox looked like they made the pick-up of the winter by signing Bartolo Colon to a minor league contract. While scouting reports from his winter work had him sitting in the upper 80s with his fastball, the Red Sox said he was hitting low 90s, a fine place to be for the former Cy Young winner. But after just one start in AAA, he was derailed with an oblique injury, and has been on the DL ever since.

The Sox got a bit of good news, bad news on Colon. On the positive side, he’s schedule for three side sessions, and could be back on the hill by May 5. Problem is, he can opt out of his contract on May 1 and become a free agent.

Chances are, Colon and the Sox will work on some kind of agreement that extends Bartolo’s window to opt out. The team could use the added depth, and Colon likely wants to stay with a winner. Then again, he might be able to get a guaranteed deal somewhere if he opts out.

Posted by Joe Pawlikowski, who writes for River Ave. Blues, a Yankees blog. Send along any rumors here.

Odds and Ends: Crisp, King, Sweeney

Here’s today’s linkage.

Oswalt Staying Put

Last night on Baseball Tonight, Peter Gammons suggested that Roy Oswalt might become available and that he was willing to waive his no-trade clause.

The Astros, however, are far from cashing in their chips.  They’ve won their last four and have no intention of trading Oswalt.  Oswalt is signed through 2011 with a full no-trade clause.  Oswalt repeated his stance from last year – he’d consider waiving it if the Astros approached him (and if the acquiring team is the Cardinals, Braves, or Red Sox).  I imagine most players feel this way.  It’s a moot point right now; Ed Wade isn’t considering trading him.

Oswalt seemed like the one true healthy ace who might be available come July.  I’ll touch on the remaining options in the next MLB Roundup.

Odds and Ends: Burrell, Pedro, Fukudome

Today’s link collection.

  • Jon Heyman notes that Pat Burrell only wanted to go to the Yankees or Red Sox when the Phillies tried to trade him a few years ago.  They’re not great fits, but perhaps Burrell will have those two clubs at the top of his list when he hits free agency.
  • Ross Newhan looks at the Dodgers’ trade of Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields.  He rates it the worst in franchise history.  He also names the Brad Penny acquisition as the fourth-worst.
  • Josh Kalk takes a look at Kosuke Fukudome‘s hot start for RotoAuthority.
  • The Dodgers and Juan Castro have mutual interest.

Gammons’ Latest: Crisp, Piazza, Wells

ESPN’s Peter Gammons has a new blog post up.

  • Peter Angelos might put the kibosh on any Brian Roberts trade.
  • The Red Sox apparently wouldn’t mind shipping Coco Crisp to the Cubs for Sean Gallagher and another prospect.  The Sox might hope Crisp is the Cubs’ backup plan to Roberts. 
  • Gammons says Tommy Lasorda suggested the Dodgers consider Mike Piazza as a backup catcher; they are not interested.  It would’ve been fun to see Piazza finish his career in L.A.
  • Another free agent, David Wells, "hasn’t gotten a sniff from any team."  It’s only April 23rd, so desperation hasn’t quite sunk in. 

Odds and Ends: Hatteberg, Colon, Longoria

And now for more Odds and Ends around the league:

  • In his latest "Full Count" audio piece at Fox Sports, Ken Rosenthal expects the Reds to do some roster shuffling that could come down to trades.  Scott Hatteberg has become "expendable" with the recent emergence of Joey Votto and by the fact that the Reds have too many lefty hitters.
  • Cork Gaines latest Baseball Blogs Weigh In delved into the Evan Longoria signing.  To add to that, Ken Rosenthal, also in his Full Count piece, notes favorably that Longoria has set himself for life without having to establish himself and that his payday will come at age 31, still in time for a 4-5 year deal.
  • The Boston Herald’s reporting Bartolo Colon could opt to leave the Red Sox if he’s not in the bigs by May 1st. Manager Terry Francona hopes he will "forego the decision for a while (most likely until May 15)."  With a recent setback being the reason he’s not in the majors, I don’t see him going anywhere just yet.
  • An amusing quote from columnist John Mehno of the Beaver County Times on whether the Pirates can be expected to lock up any of its young talent: "Given the lack of can’t-miss prospects in the system, Pirates rookies intent on becoming instant millionaires should probably keep buying lottery tickets."

By Nat Boyle

Blocked Prospects: Jed Lowrie

Jed Lowrie is in Boston’s starting lineup — for now. Lowrie started at shortstop last night, and went 2 for 3 with a run and an RBI. In his debut Tuesday night, he went 1 for 4 with three RBIs. But don’t expect Lowrie to be around for long. He’s headed back to the minors as soon as Mike Lowell or Alex Cora returns form the DL.

Lowrie is a patient hitter with some power who can play multiple positions. Today, the Boston Globe reports that Lowrie spends time each day working with infield coachd Luis Alicea at second base, shortstop, and third base.

Boston’s long-term plans for Lowrie are unclear. He’s blocked at shortstop by Julio Lugo and at third by Lowell, who are both signed through 2010. And he’s blocked at second by Dustin Pedroia, who is signed through 2012. Tim mentioned recently that Lowrie could bring something nice in a trade, but I think he’d be more valuable as a Ryan Freel-type utility player — especially on a team with an aging third baseman, an aging left fielder and injury magnet J.D. Drew in right field.

For proof of just how valuable a good utility guy can be, look no further than Detroit’s Brandon Inge, who is among Tigers team leaders in most major hitting categories and has seen time at catcher, third base and center field. Lowrie could be that kind of guy, and he would would cost a fraction of what the Tigers are paying Inge (or the Reds are paying Freel, for that matter). The Red Sox just have to teach Lowrie to play the outfield.

If you’ll recall, Tampa Bay’s B.J. Upton started last season as a super-utility player, while the Rays debated where he should play permanently. That experiment seemed a little insane at the time ("Oh, you can’t handle one position? Try five!"), but actually worked out in the end. Maybe Lowrie will follow a similar path?

Coley Ward writes for Umpbump.com. You an reach him here.

Odds and Ends: Lugo, Murton, Scherzer

A handful of random links…

Show all