Padres Seek Arms, Bats, Won’t Pursue Lowrie
Padres GM Jed Hoyer told Dan Hayes of the North County Times that the Padres will have to acquire some innings at some point, but could do so in August (Twitter link). The Padres are looking to preserve the arms of young starters such as Mat Latos and Clayton Richard, so they're eyeing innings eaters. Jake Westbrook will likely be available next month, but it's doubtful that Livan Hernandez will clear waivers.
The Padres, who acquired Miguel Tejada earlier today, are also looking for outfielders, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). They have allowed fewer runs (341) than any team in baseball, but have scored fewer runs (435) than every NL team except the Cubs, Astros, Pirates and Nationals.
San Diego "kicked the tires" on Jed Lowrie, but will not pursue him, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com.
D’Backs Trying To Deal Jackson, Snyder
The Diamondbacks are trying hard to deal Edwin Jackson and Chris Snyder without absorbing any salary, according to Bill Shaikin of the LA Times. Snyder makes $4.75MM this year ($1.8MM remains) plus $5.75 next year and either $6.75MM or a $750K buyout in 2012.
Jackson makes $4.2MM this year ($1.6MM remains) plus $8.35MM next season before hitting free agency. As Jon Heyman of SI.com pointed out on Twitter, the Nationals appear to covet Jackson, so the D'Backs will have at least one suitor for the starter. Jackson's 5.16 ERA and 13 wild pitches could scare some suitors off, but the 26-year-old can be unhittable and has had success in the American League.
The Red Sox have had interest in Snyder this year. The 29-year-old is hitting .231/.352/.426 with ten homers this year.
Astros Discussing Berkman Deals
5:41pm: The White Sox consider Berkman a backup plan since they don't expect to acquire Adam Dunn, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (via Twitter).
4:14pm: The Astros are discussing possible trades involving Lance Berkman, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported this afternoon (via Twitter) that a high-ranking executive told him the Astros could move Berkman and start rebuilding.
Like former teammate Roy Oswalt, who was traded to Philadelphia earlier today, Berkman has a no-trade clause and can veto any deal. About $5.4MM remains on Berkman's $14.5MM salary this season. The Astros hold a $15MM option for next year, but they can buy it out for $2MM. Berkman is hitting .245/.372/.436 so far in 2010.
Padres Acquire Miguel Tejada
The Padres were supposed to be trading Adrian Gonzalez right about now. Instead, they traded for someone to hit behind him. The Padres and Orioles agreed to a deal that will send Miguel Tejada and cash to San Diego for minor league pitcher Wynn Pelzer.
Tejada, the 2002 AL MVP, is no longer an elite hitter. In fact, he's hitting just .269/.308/.362 this season. His defense has also been below-average in recent years, according to UZR, though he can play third or shot.
Tejada makes $6MM this year and the Padres and Orioles will split the $2.2MM remaining on his contract. He projects as a Type B free agent, though an offer of arbitration seems unlikely.
Baseball America ranked Pelzer seventh among all Padres prospects before the season. The 24-year-old is a power pitcher whose fastball sits in the mid-90s. As a starter, he has a 4.20 ERA with 7.9 K/9 and 5.3 BB/9 in AA this year, but BA said he could become a closer in time.
The Cardinals and Phillies also showed interest in Tejada this month.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun first reported that a deal seemed likely and added detail later on. MLB.com's Corey Brock and Dan Hayes of the North County Times also contributed elements of the story. The Orioles and Padres have confirmed the deal.
No Traction On Miguel Tejada-Cardinals Deal
THURSDAY: The Cardinals contacted the Orioles about Tejada, reports Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, but there was "no traction" for a trade.
WEDNESDAY: The Cardinals are interested in Miguel Tejada, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Regular third baseman David Freese is on the disabled list with ankle and toe injuries, so Tejada could see time at the hot corner. The Cards have had below-average offensive production from the left side of the infield this year, which presumably contributes to their interest.
Tejada is drawing lukewarm interest from the Yanks, according to George A. King III of the New York Post. The former AL MVP is Philadelphia’s top infield target, according to ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark and the Padres are interested in the longtime shortstop, too.
The 36-year-old makes $6MM this season (about $2.3MM remains) and he projects as a Type B free agent, though he's close to Type A status. That likely won't matter, since Tejada is hitting .271/.309/.364 and an arbitration offer seems unlikely.
Phillies Interested In Jose Bautista
The defending NL Champs would like to add the AL home run leader. Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun adds the Phillies to the list of teams interested in Jose Bautista (via Twitter) and explains that Philadelphia has scouted eight of the last nine Blue Jays games.
The Blue Jays are demanding a lot for Scott Downs and others this summer, so their asking price for Bautista is likely massive. The 29-year-old has 30 homers (1st in the AL), 57 walks (4th in the AL) and nine outfield assists (1st in the AL). He earns $2.4MM this year, could earn $6-7MM in 2011 and will hit free agency after that.
With Chase Utley out, the Phillies could move Placido Polanco to second base and play Bautista at third. Like the Blue Jays, the Phils are extremely active, pursuing Roy Oswalt and others. The Tigers, White Sox, Braves and Giants have also been connected to Bautista this month, so the Phillies will have to out-bid a number of teams to obtain the former Rule 5 pick.
Bautista told the FAN 590 tonight that he enjoys Toronto and would consider signing a multi-year deal with the Blue Jays. The team is not discussing a deal with the slugger now, agent Bean Stringfellow confirmed to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.
Rockies Likely To Sell
The Rockies are likely to become sellers, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The 51-49 Rockies have lost seven consecutive games and now sit in fourth place in the NL West, 8.0 games behind the division-leading Padres and six games behind the Wild Card-leading Giants.
The Phillies are showing interest in Aaron Cook, though their enthusiasm for him is "limited at best." The Rockies are "quietly shopping" Cook, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post and have stopped pursuing Jorge Cantu, according to Rosenthal. The Phillies are also one of the teams interested in Joe Beimel.
The Rockies will likely keep free agent-to-be Jorge De La Rosa in hopes of signing him or obtaining draft pick compensation, Rosenthal says. The left-hander currently projects as a Type B free agent. The Rockies could deal Melvin Mora and Ryan Spilborghs if they wanted to, since other clubs are interested. However, the Rockies’ rivals are not willing to give up much for either player at this point.
Odds & Ends: Lowell, Barmes, Red Sox, Hanson
Links for Wednesday, as the Tigers get some infield depth from a division rival…
- The Rangers haven't ruled out acquiring Mike Lowell, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.
- Agent Bean Stringfellow told Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that the Blue Jays are not currently discussing an extension with Jose Bautista. It’s not at all surprising given how much else the Blue Jays have to sort out this week. Bautista said on the FAN 590 today that he would listen if the Blue Jays approached him with a multi-year deal after the season.
- The Cardinals are not interested in Clint Barmes, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post (via Twitter).
- Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino told WEEI.com’s Alex Speier that the Red Sox will “look aggressively” for ways to improve at the trade deadline.
- Tommy Hanson explained to Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he chose the Boras Corp. because of the support the agency offers.
- Brett Myers is untouchable, a source tells Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle (Twitter link). With respect to Justice and his source, it seems unfathomable that a 41-59 team wouldn't listen to offers on a player who can walk at the end of the season.
- Casey Fien cleared waivers and the Tigers outrighted him to Triple A, according to the team (via Twitter). Detroit designated Fien for assignment last weekend.
- Like Fien, Scott Moore cleared waivers and headed to Triple A, according to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun. The O's designated Moore for assignment last week.
- And another recent DFA, Justin Miller, was outrighted to Triple A Albuquerque, according to Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times (via Twitter).
- The Blue Jays have considered Kelly Johnson, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter). Aaron Hill recently told the Globe and Mail's Jeff Blair that he would play third if the Jays asked him to, so Johnson could theoretically play second in Toronto. Seems like a longshot to me.
- Kyle Farnsworth is available to manager Ned Yost (and GMs around the league) after leaving yesterday's game with a hamstring cramp, according to Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star (via Twitter).
- Trevor Hoffman can veto deals to 25 MLB teams, according to MLB.com's Adam McCalvy. The all-time saves leader and his $7.5MM salary would likely clear waivers, so interested teams will probably be able to pursue him in August.
- One player told Morosi that he'd be "shocked" if the Brewers trade Prince Fielder this week.
- Mike Axisa counts down the Yankees' top five trade chips at River Ave. Blues.
- The Dodgers won't discuss prospect Dee Gordon with other teams, according to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com (via Twitter).
Royals Open To Making More Deals
Several clubs were ‘kicking the tires’ on Scott Podsednik this summer, but until 24 hours ago, the Dodgers weren’t one of them.
“Ned Colletti and I spoke for the first time last night,” Royals GM Dayton Moore told reporters this evening.
Just 24 hours later, the clubs finalized the deal that sent Podsednik to the Dodgers for minor leaguers Lucas May and Elisaul Pimentel. The negotiation process with the Dodgers was simple and Moore can imagine tinkering a little more before Saturday at 3pm CST.
“There may be a small deal or two that we could do going forward,” Moore said.
Some players – like Joakim Soria, Zack Greinke and Billy Butler – would be extremely difficult to pry away, but the Royals insist they’re “open-minded” about others.
“Guys in the final year of their contract, we’ll be more aggressive with potentially moving them,” Moore said.
Jose Guillen (who has drawn interest from the Giants), Bruce Chen and Willie Bloomquist are set to hit free agency after the 2010 season. The Royals have a $5.25MM option for Kyle Farnsworth in 2011, but he could attract interest before the deadline as well. The Royals lost a major trade chip last week when David DeJesus injured his thumb.
Adam Dunn Rumors: Wednesday
The Angels, Tigers, Rangers, Giants, Rays and Rockies were all connected to Adam Dunn in yesterday's round of rumors, but the White Sox may be the best fit of all. Dunn's left-handed bat would fit well into Ozzie Guillen's lineup, but the Nats are asking for Daniel Hudson plus a prospect. Washington could still extend Dunn, who says he'd consider three or four-year deals. Here's the latest on the slugger; we'll add more bullets throughout the evening.
- The Yankees are interested in Dunn, but the Yanks and Nationals haven't had serious talks yet, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter).
- Dunn is a "bit of a longshot" for the Rockies, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post (Twitter link).
- Lots of baseball people expect the Nationals to trade Dunn, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (via Twitter). The White Sox and Giants appear to be stronger players for Dunn than the Yankees, according to Sherman (Twitter link).
- The Rays remain "in the mix" for Dunn, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (Twitter link).
