Heath Bell’s Trade Value

4:59pm: Former Padres GM Kevin Towers told Jim Bowden of FOX Sports that he would ask for Aaron Hicks, Ben Revere or Angel Morales from the Twins in return for Bell if he were still running the Padres (Twitter link). Baseball America ranked the three outfielders first, fifth and eighth among Twins prospects heading into the season.

FRIDAY, 1:34pm: Whether it happens now or in July, the Padres are likely to entertain trade offers for their All-Star closer. Heath Bell has value and the Padres don't appear ready to contend for a playoff spot so GM Jed Hoyer will presumably consider trading the right-hander. The Twins are eyeing Bell, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today and more teams will want relievers by late July. 

Bell compares favorably to the group of relievers that signed the biggest free agent contracts this offseason. He had a lower walk rate (3.1 BB/9) and more saves (42) than Jose Valverde, Brandon Lyon, Fernando Rodney and Mike Gonzalez and posted a higher strikeout rate than everyone except Gonzalez (Bell: 10.2 K/9, Gonzalez: 10.9 K/9).

Valverde, Lyon, Rodney and Gonzalez all signed multi-year deals worth $11MM or more, but Bell makes just $4MM this year. Next year, he's in line for a raise via arbitration if, as expected, his club tenders him a deal. Bell's ability and salary make him a valuable commodity on the trade market, but it's not clear what that translates into for the Padres.

When the Orioles traded George Sherrill last summer, they were working with a similar player. Sherrill was making less ($2.75MM) and the Dodgers acquired him midseason, but he was nonetheless effective, cheap and controllable through 2011, like Bell is now.

The Orioles acquired Josh Bell – now ranked by Baseball America as the organization's number two prospect – in the Sherrill trade. The third base prospect has "above-average power and a good approach" and projects to be Baltimore's third baseman before long, according to BA. Given their closer's contract status and ability, the Padres have every reason to ask for a top prospect in any trade.

Two Clubs Interested In Boof Bonser

At least two teams are interested in Boof Bonser, sources tell Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com. McAdam hears that the Cubs and D'Backs are interested in the right-hander. Bonser is out of options, so the Red Sox would have to attempt to put him through waivers if they want to send him to the minors.

The D'Backs are looking for starters, but Bonser is far from GM Josh Byrnes' only choice. Even within the AL East, there's plenty of selection. The Blue Jays (Dana Eveland and Brian Tallet) and Yankees (Sergio Mitre and Chad Gaudin) could deal pitching, too. 

The 28-year-old Bonser missed all of 2009 after shoulder surgery to repair a torn labrum and torn rotator cuff, but he has shown promise so far this spring. The Red Sox don't have room for Bonser in their rotation, but McAdam says he could make the team as a long reliever.

Bonser, who was part of the A.J. Pierzynski trade in 2003, has a 5.12 ERA in 391.2 big league innings, with 7.3 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9. This winter the Red Sox acquired Bonser from the Twins for Chris Province.

Dunn Has No Deadline For Extension Talks

Adam Dunn doesn't want extension talks to drag into the summer, but he doesn't have a deadline and would be open to continuing discussions once the season starts, according to MLB.com's Bill Ladson. Dunn makes $12MM in the last year of the two-year $20MM deal he signed last offseason. He would like to work out an extension, but says he's flexible to a point.

"If we are close to getting something done and it drags on for a couple into the season, OK," Dunn said. "But I don't want it to drag on until the All-Star Break or things like that."

He'd prefer not to hear his name in trade rumors this summer, but hasn't given Nats GM Mike Rizzo a firm date by which the possible extension must be finalized.

"It's not a deadline," Dunn said. "There is progress being made, but I don't want distractions during the season."

Like Dunn, Rizzo doesn't see Opening Day as a hard, fast deadline for an extension. Rizzo characterized talks between the two sides as "amicable and upbeat" yesterday. 


Odds & Ends: Crawford, Alvarez, Mauer, Aumont

Some links for your Friday…

Heyman On Mauer, Beckett, Lowell

Jon Heyman of SI.com expects Joe Mauer and Josh Beckett to re-sign with their current teams. Here are the details from his latest column:

  • Heyman hears that Joe Mauer and the Twins are willing to work on an extension once the season begins. Apparently Mark Teixeira's eight-year $180MM deal is a comparable for the Mauer talks.
  • According to a person involved in the talks, Beckett is seeking slightly more than the five-year $82.5MM deal John Lackey signed.
  • Heyman doesn't think the Red Sox can expect the Marlins to pay as much as of Mike Lowell's salary as the Rangers agreed to take on in December. The Rangers were going to take on $3MM of the infielder's $12MM salary before concerns about Lowell's thumb emerged.

Twins Eyeing Heath Bell

The Twins are scouting Heath Bell extensively for a possible trade, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). Closer Joe Nathan may have to undergo Tommy John surgery, so the Twins are looking at possible replacements, including Bell and Blue Jays reliever Jason Frasor.

The Twins won't necessarily have to make a trade at all, though. Nathan will throw Saturday, Sunday or Monday and the Twins will have a clearer sense of his ability to pitch with a torn ulnar collateral ligament after his bullpen session.

Bell led the National League with 42 saves last year. He posted 10.2 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in 69.2 innings. The 32-year-old righty makes $4MM this year and won't be a free agent until after 2011.

D’Backs Looking For Rotation Depth

A National League executive tells Joel Sherman of the New York Post that the D'Backs are exploring trades for rotation depth. Brandon Webb is recovering from a shoulder injury, so the D'Backs have some concern about their starting five. Right now, that group consists of Dan Haren, Edwin Jackson and some combination of Ian Kennedy, Billy Buckner, Kevin Mulvey and Rodrigo Lopez

Sherman says the Yankees are "almost certain" to trade Chad Gaudin or Sergio Mitre before the season starts. Like their division rivals, the Blue Jays could trade starting pitching. The D'Backs had interest in Jays pitcher Dana Eveland earlier in the offseason. Sherman says the Blue Jays would be very happy to move Eveland or Brian Tallet.

The D'Backs added Kris Benson on a minor league deal this week, but the righty has only pitched in eight major league games since 2006.

Benson Threw For D’Backs

SUNDAY, 1:50pm: Gregg Clifton, the agent for Benson, says that his client is willing to accept a minor league deal, writes Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic.  Clifton hopes to speak with the Diamondbacks today.

FRIDAY, 10:31pm: The club will probably make a decision in the next 24 hours on what type of deal to offer Benson, a source tells Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

2:43pm: Kris Benson threw for the D'Backs today, according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. D'Backs GM Josh Byrnes confirmed that Benson was in camp, but declined to say how hard he threw. Piecoro says Benson faced minor league hitters for five innings in a simulated game. Byrnes told MLB.com's Steve Gilbert that the club will stay open-minded about adding pitching.

"Every club is always wanting to ensure pitching depth," Byrnes said. "It's an evaluation worth doing. We'll see how we proceed."

Benson was connected to the Nationals for much of the winter, but last we heard, he's no longer in touch with them. Benson's agent, Gregg Clifton, said in January that his client felt good and had thrown for two unnamed teams.

The 35-year-old right-hander pitched 22.1 innings for the Rangers last year, his first stint in the majors since 2006. His 4.4 K/9 and 4.8 BB/9 contributed to his 8.46 ERA. The first overall pick of the 1996 draft, Benson had some solid seasons for the Pirates but ran into injuries, including elbow tendinitis last year.

Odds & Ends: Weeks, Castro, Roberts, Piniella

Lots of rainouts in Florida, so here are some links to get you through the day…

Red Sox Rumors: Beckett, Beltre

John Lackey's five-year $82.5MM deal could set the market for Josh Beckett as he discusses an extension with the Red Sox, but Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that Beckett is looking for a "slightly longer term" deal. Even though Beckett would like six years, there's optimism that the two sides will reach a deal.

Adrian Beltre turned down a longer-term deal from the A's to sign in Boston, but it wasn't because of Fenway Park, as some have speculated. Beltre, who turned down an offer from the Phillies, told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he believed the Red Sox could win it all.

“I thought the team had a real good opportunity to win the World Series," Beltre said. "I focus on the team, not the place I’m playing."

Beltre signed a deal that pays him $9MM this season and includes a player option for 2011.