The Latest On The Remaining Free Agent Relievers

The Cubs and Twins have seen top relievers get hurt this spring and already both clubs are interested in relievers (specifically Jason Frasor). Don't expect Jim Hendry to sign one of the free agent options remaining; the Cubs are reportedly uninterested in that group. But as more pitchers get injured, some of the free agents will gain appeal. Here's a look at the remaining relievers who have attracted at least some interest this offseason.

The Latest On The Remaining Free Agent Starters

There aren't many options for teams looking to sign a dependable starter, but the free agent market isn't completely barren yet. Of all the free agents remaining, only three pitchers logged more than 100 innings last year. Here's the latest on all eight starters to pitch as many as 40 innings last year (or what Roy Halladay logs in an average month):

Mets Liked Lackey, Preferred Bay

A major league source tells Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that the Mets thought a five-year offer to John Lackey would be riskier than a four-year offer to Jason Bay. The Mets, who say they are not concerned about Bay's defense, ultimately signed the outfielder to a four-year $66MM deal with a vesting option for a fifth year. They talked to Lackey and had strong interest in him, though they considered Bay the safer choice.

“We liked Lackey,” GM Omar Minaya said. “We thought Lackey was probably the best starting pitcher out there. As for as Bay, we thought we needed a power hitter."

Bay thinks the Red Sox were smart to add another top starter to their rotation. He told Bradford in this article that the Lackey signing was "genius" and the team's rotation is "ridiculous."

Hank Blalock Agrees To Terms With Rays

Hank Blalock and the Rays have agreed to terms on a minor league deal worth $925K, plus $350K in incentives. The deal will allow Blalock to opt out if he's not in the majors, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.

Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reported (via Twitter) that the sides were near a deal and added that the deal should be finalized soon (via Twitter). Heyman reported that Blalock was deciding between the Rays and Marlins and later added that the infielder was in "serious talks" with the Rays before noting the specific details (all Twitter links). 

The Scott Boras client will make substantially less than the $6MM the Rangers paid him last year. The Marlins were the only other team linked to Blalock recently, but apparently did not make an offer.  Blalock told the Tampa Tribune (Twitter link), "Well, I didn't have any other choice. So that's why I'm here."  Joe Smith of the St. Petersburg Times tweets that Blalock's opt-out clause is for April 1st.

Blalock, 29, hit .234/.277/.459 last year with the Rangers, adding 25 homers. Blalock, who hasn't played more than 39 games at third since 2006, split his time between first base and DH in 2009.

Mark Reynolds On Extension Talks

SATURDAY, 11:21am: Gilbert spoke to Reynolds, who had this to say about yesterday's meeting: "I guess the meeting was positive … Still a work in progress." (both links go to Twitter)

FRIDAY, 3:47pm: The extension that the D'Backs are discussing with Mark Reynolds would cover the 2011-12 seasons, reports MLB.com's Steve Gilbert. Reynolds isn't aware of exactly what happened during today's discussions, but says he hopes to make progress soon.

"I can't say anything is imminent right now," he said. "But the next couple of days we should know something."

Opening Day remains the ultimate deadline for the two sides to reach an agreement, but GM Josh Byrnes told Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that he doesn't feel pressure to get a deal done. Reynolds told Piecoro that he finds the negotiations distracting and wouldn't mind picking them up after the 2010 season.

“I’m certainly hoping that we can come to some kind of agreement," he said. "But I’m 100 percent fine if it doesn’t happen. I’ll play this year and we’ll see what happens next year."

We heard earlier today that the D'Backs, who renewed Reynolds' 2010 contract for $500K today, would be comfortable offering $13MM for the two seasons. Reynolds would like $18MM for the same stretch.

Odds & Ends: AL East, Mauer, D’Backs, Sheets

Some links to read with Opening Day just a month away…

A.J. Pierzynski’s Next Contract

Look ahead to the catchers who could be free agents after the season, and you'll probably notice Joe Mauer and Victor Martinez. But A.J. Pierzynski will hit the market too and he'll have a case for a multi-year deal if he's as consistent as usual. 

That doesn't mean the White Sox won't bring him back, though. GM Kenny Williams told the Chicago Sun-Times that the team will check in with Pierzynski's representation at some point this season and the catcher has maintained that he would like to re-sign with the White Sox. If not, Tyler Flowers, now 24, could take on a bigger role.

Pierzynski has been remarkably durable and consistent this decade. He averaged 132 games and 12 homers per season from 2001-09, posting a .753 OPS. He's been worth two wins per season more than a replacement level catcher during his White Sox career. That beats Ivan Rodriguez, Jason Kendall and Bengie Molina (though WAR's analysis of catcher defense is incomplete). Those three catchers are also older than Pierzynski, who is just 33, but they all got guaranteed contracts worth $4.5MM or more.

That proves that teams are willing to pay for dependable catchers, even if they're in their mid to late thirties. As a 33-year-old with a history of health and a decent bat, Pierzynski should be in position to command a multi-year deal, even if though it won't approach the one Joe Mauer will sign.

El Duque Wants To Pitch In The Majors Again

Orlando Hernandez is still working out and throwing because he wants to play in the majors again, according to Jorge Arangure Jr. of ESPN.com. El Duque, 44, says he's willing to start or relieve. His agent says several teams are interested, but not quite yet. They'd prefer to wait until after Spring Training to assess their needs.

Hernandez, who signed with the Rangers last year but never made the club, is throwing 82-83 mph, according to Reds scouting director Chris Buckley. Hernandez is focused on returning to the majors for the first time since 2007, but he can see himself working for his agency once he stops pitching.

Hernandez already played a role in recruiting Jose Julio Ruiz for his agency, Legacy Sports. Agent Mike Maulini, who also represents Hernandez, says he's likely to hold an open workout for the many clubs interested in Ruiz soon to "re-establish his market." We heard he was close to signing last month, before he switched agencies.

Heyman On Lee, Reynolds, Mauer

The Mariners and Cliff Lee will likely wait until the season ends before discussing a deal to keep the lefty in Seattle long-term, but both sides tell Jon Heyman of SI.com that such an agreement is possible. GM Jack Zduriencik said there’s “no doubt” he’d like to have Lee around after he hits free agency this offseason. And Lee can imagine extending his stay in Seattle, too.

"So far I like it a lot,'' Lee said. "Obviously, free agency is where you want to be as a player … I'm not going to rule anything out.''

Lee says the Phillies offered him a deal “close” to the three-year $60MM extension they gave Roy Halladay after trading for him. Heyman notes that Zduriencik tried to acquire Halladay before the Phillies did, only to discover that Doc didn’t want to join the Mariners. Here are a couple more rumors from Heyman:
  • Mark Reynolds would like a two-year $18MM deal to cover his first two arbitration years. That's Prince Fielder money, but the D'Backs would prefer to pay him $13MM or so, which would be closer to what Dan Uggla made for the same stretch of his career.
  • There has been no acrimony between the Twins and Joe Mauer. That's a good thing for Twins fans, but other than that we know very little about the negotiations.

Brandon Inge Enters Walk Year

Take a quick look at Brandon Inge's numbers and he doesn't seem that different from Pedro Feliz. They're both strong defensive third basemen in their early thirties who will give you an OPS close to .700. Feliz signed a $4.5MM deal with the Astros this offseason, but when Inge hits the market next winter, he can hope for a little more.

Granted, Inge strikes out about 30% of the time he steps up to hit. That limited his OBP (.314) and slugging (.406) last year, despite his 27 homers. But Inge saves about ten runs a year with his third base defense, and he can also catch and play all three outfield positions. Plus, Inge will be 33 when he hits free agency, a year younger than Feliz was this winter.

Mark DeRosa's versatility helped him land a two-year deal, even though he'll be 35 this season. Fellow 2011 free agents Feliz and Miguel Tejada are older than Inge and less versatile. There will be other competition, though. Garrett Atkins, Jorge Cantu and Adrian Beltre could all be free agents after the season.

Inge won't be the only Tiger whose contract is coming off the books. Jeremy Bonderman, Nate Robertson, Dontrelle Willis, Johnny Damon, Gerald Laird, Bobby Seay, Adam Everett and maybe even Magglio Ordonez will see their deals expire, too. That means the Tigers will have the flexibility to bring Inge back. Even if they choose not to, he should have other suitors if he is productive in 2010.