Red Sox Would Move Lowell; Not Close To A Deal

SATURDAY, 1:58pm: Buster Olney tweets that the Marlins are unsure as to why they've been linked to Lowell. According to Olney, the Marlins weren't even interested in Lowell prior to his recent injury.

FRIDAY, 1:20pm: The Red Sox aren't close to dealing Lowell, who left today's Spring Training game after fouling a pitch off of his left knee, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. Via Twitter, ESPNBoston's Gordon Edes notes that the Rangers and Marlins weren't scouting Lowell today.

9:25am: The Red Sox are still interested in dealing Mike Lowell and the infielder would consider a trade, according to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe. Major league sources tell Abraham that the club remains interested in moving Lowell, who has one year and $12MM remaining on his contract with Boston. Lowell has no-trade protection, but he says he'd listen if the Red Sox come to him with a deal.

"If I was traded to another team, I would definitely evaluate it," Lowell said. "Obviously it's human nature to think about things."

Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reported yesterday that the Marlins' interest in the Miami product was "barely above zero." Scouts doubt his mobility and Lowell is aware that he's a better fit in the American League.

Red Sox To Sign Scott Schoeneweis

5:45pm: Schoeneweis will earn $500K if he makes the Red Sox' big league roster, according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe (via Twitter). Benjamin notes that the deal is similar to the one Alan Embree signed with Boston last week.

3:38pm: The Red Sox agreed to sign lefty reliever Scott Schoeneweis to a minor league deal, according to a team press release. The Brewers released Schoeneweis Tuesday after signing him to a minor league deal last month. Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that Schoeneweis can opt out of the deal on April 15th if he isn't on the 25-man roster (Twitter link).

Schoeneweis, 36, pitched 24 innings for the D'Backs last year, posting a 7.12 ERA with 5.3 K/9 and 4.9 BB/9. His rate stats were markedly better against lefties in 2009 (7.1 K/9, 3.2 BB/9), though the sample size is small. The Red Sox expect him in camp tomorrow.

It's been a productive day for the Red Sox, who released Brian Shouse this morning and traded for Kevin Frandsen and signed Schoeneweis almost immediately after Nick Cafardo reported the team was looking at infielders and relievers.

Odds & Ends: Giants, Harper, Heyward, Padres

Some links as the weekend draws closer…

Red Sox Acquire Kevin Frandsen

The Red Sox acquired Kevin Frandsen from the Giants for a player to be named later or cash, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News (via Twitter). The 27-year-old infielder has a .240/.304/.341 line in 453 major league plate appearances, all of which have come in a Giants uniform. Frandsen, who has an option remaining, hit .295/.352/.438 in Triple A last year.

He played second and short for the Giants in 2009 and has major league experience at third and at both corner outfield positions. He has played all four infield positions in the minors, so he's clearly versatile. Other than that it's hard to draw conclusions about his defense because of his limited time in the majors.

Earlier in the week, when it became apparent that Frandsen was available, Dave Cameron of U.S.S. Mariner thought he would be a great fit for the Mariners. The acquisition of Frandsen presumably means Boston's search for backup infield help is now less urgent.

Red Sox Looking At Relievers & Infielders

The Red Sox are interested in relievers and infielders and have been scouting players around the league, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. The club would like to add shortstop depth behind free agent acquisition Marco Scutaro and add options out of the bullpen.

We heard earlier in the week that the Red Sox had communicated their interest in adding shortstop depth to other teams. They may need Mike Lowell's roster spot to add a backup shortstop, but the club isn't close to dealing him.

It's been a busy week for the Red Sox, who signed Alan Embree and released Brian Shouse, and they are still looking at other relievers. Cafardo says the club doesn't want to rush Embree, who may not make the team's Opening Day roster.

Discussion: Chad Gaudin’s Next Team

Chad Gaudin is young and talented enough to find a major league job, even though the Yankees didn't have room for him and released him. Gaudin, 27, pitched to a 4.64 ERA in 147.1 innings last year with 8.5 K/9 and 4.5 BB/9. That's solid production (1.5 WAR) and there's no reason to expect him to decline.

Yesterday, we heard that the Mets and Dodgers are interested in the righty, though the D'Backs are not. The Phillies are looking for rotation depth, but they wouldn't be able to guarantee Gaudin a rotation spot, so he might prefer to sign elsewhere. 

The Tigers could contend, but they have limited rotation depth. Jeremy Bonderman is competing with Nate Robertson and Dontrelle Willis for Detroit's last two rotation spots. Tigers manager Jim Leyland told MLB.com's Jason Beck that they've all been "OK," but it wouldn't be surprising to see the Tigers pursue Gaudin.

The Mariners could use some depth, since Cliff Lee will miss the beginning of the season. Unlike Jarrod Washburn, Gaudin has been training and could start contributing immediately.

Jaime Garcia has a good chance of beating Kyle McClellan and Rich Hill for the Cardinals' final rotation spot, so the Cards' rotation appears set for now. Even if no one offers Gaudin a rotation spot, there's a long list of clubs that could use a long reliever or swingman.

So where do you think Chad Gaudin will end up?

Red Sox Release Brian Shouse

The Red Sox released Brian Shouse, according to Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe (via Twitter). Back in January, the club signed Shouse to a minor league deal that would have paid him $800K had he made the major league roster. 

The 41-year-old lefty posted a 4.50 ERA in 28.0 innings for the Rays last year, with 5.5 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9. For what it's worth, Shouse posted a 0.96 ERA in ten outings this spring. Lefty reliever J.C. Romero won't likely be ready for Opening Day and the Phillies are looking for pitching, so it wouldn't be a surprise if they have some interest in Shouse. 

Phillies Seek Rotation Depth

The Phillies are looking to add starting pitching, but aren't eager to guarantee anyone roster spot, according to David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News. Ideally, the Phillies would find an out-of-options pitcher or someone who has an out clause in his contract.

"If a player like that comes available, we'll have our eyes and ears open on it,'' Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said. 

Amaro says pitching depth is a concern for the Phillies, so he's looking to find some. Boof Bonser and Dana Eveland are out-of-options arms the Phillies could consider. They haven't been linked to the recently-released Chad Gaudin so far.

The Phillies will also look for bullpen depth, writes Murphy. The Brewers recently released Scott Schoeneweis, though Amaro would probably not guarantee the left-hander a job. 

Belliard Makes Weight; Contract Guaranteed

Ronnie Belliard weighed in at 208 pounds, so his contract with the Dodgers is now guaranteed, writes Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times. Belliard reported to camp weighing 211 pounds, but his $825K contract only became guaranteed once he weighed less than 210 pounds.

The 34-year-old is fighting for playing time in the Dodgers infield. Last year, he played league average defense around the infield for the Nationals and Dodgers, hitting .277/.325/.451 in 287 plate appearances. Belliard is competing for the starting second baseman's job and spending time at the corner infield positions.

Astros Not Interested In Beimel

7:28pm: FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal (via Twitter) passes on this quote from Beimel's agent, Joe Sroba: "Talks with [the] Mets have fallen apart.  Beimel is re-open to consider all clubs and willing to be flexible."

10:31am: Astros GM Ed Wade told MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez that his club is "more than adequately covered" with the relievers they have, so don't expect the Astros to pursue Joe Beimel (Twitter link). New additions Brandon Lyon and Matt Lindstrom lead a bullpen that could include Tim Byrdak, Jeff Fulchino, Chris Sampson and Alberto Arias on Opening Day.

Beimel, 33 next month, has suitors even though the Astros don't need him now. The Mets and Rockies are interested in the lefty, who has yet to hear from the A's. Beimel told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that he is open to signing with the Rockies.

As Tim noted yesterday, Beimel was still effective against lefthanders last year, as his 7.62 K/9 and 1.73 BB/9 against them suggest. He walked more righties than he struck out, however.