Nationals Remain Confident On LaRoche
7:10pm: Multiple Nats officials are telling Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post (Twitter link) that the team has an informal Christmas deadline to resolve LaRoche's situation. The Nats remain optimistic he'll sign, though Jim Bowden tweets that the team has resolved not to go past two years.
6:49pm: The Nationals have been telling people they hope to get LaRoche signed by week's end, tweets ESPN's Jayson Stark, but they still don't want to guarantee more than two years.
4:36pm: The Nationals remain confident they'll re-sign first baseman Adam LaRoche, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. He says that might lead to the Nationals sending Mike Morse to the Mariners, who have "big interest" in getting him back.
We heard yesterday that the Nationals are holding firm at a two-year offer with no option for LaRoche. LaRoche remains on Baltimore's radar, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, who also have interest in Morse.
Angels To Sign Joe Blanton
The Angels agreed to terms with righty Joe Blanton on a two-year, $15MM deal, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The deal includes a third-year option, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter). Blanton is represented by CAA Sports.
Blanton, 31, posted a 4.71 ERA, 7.8 K/9, 1.6 BB/9, 1.37 HR/9, and 44.6% groundball rate in 191 innings for the Phillies and Dodgers this year. The signing raises the question as to whether the Angels' rotation is set, with Jered Weaver, C.J. Wilson, Tommy Hanson, Blanton, and Garrett Richards, and without Zack Greinke. As Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports tweeted earlier today, the Angels could be considering signing two starters for less than what it would have cost to make a competitive bid for Greinke.
Earlier today, the Angels fortified their bullpen by adding lefty Sean Burnett on a two-year, $8MM deal.
Blanton hadn't been the subject of a ton of rumors so far in the offseason, but the Twins were another team known to have interest, and were said to be eyeing the right-hander as a "prime target" in Nashville.
Joe McDonnell of FOX Sports and Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times first reported a deal was close. Photo courtesy of U.S. Presswire.
Red Sox Notes: Ellsbury, Starting Pitching, Hamilton
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington held court with reporters today; here's the latest:
- Trading center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury "is not our intent," Cherington said. The GM sees Ellsbury as a big part of the 2013 team. There's been recent speculation about Ellsbury as a trade candidate given Shane Victorino's ability to play center field and Ellsbury's impending walk year.
- The starting pitching market is starting to move a bit, and Cherington says it's his top priority now. It's known that the Red Sox made an offer for Dan Haren before he signed with the Nationals, and they've shown some interest in Ryan Dempster and Carl Pavano.
- Cherington is open-minded about outfielder Cody Ross, but the team has not been in contact with him since news of the Victorino agreement broke.
- Cherington acknowledged meeting with a player this week, who Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston believes was Josh Hamilton. The Sox indeed met with Hamilton before he left Nashville, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.
Michael Bourn Rumors: Wednesday
Michael Bourn is "by far the best defensive center fielder in the game," agent Scott Boras told reporters today, and you know Boras never exaggerates about his clients. The latest:
- Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. is past the tire-kicking stage on Bourn, tweets Yahoo's Jeff Passan, and is trying to gauge price. Boras needs the Phillies more than they need Bourn, in my opinion, because the Phils still have plenty of ways to stock their outfield.
- Boras told Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times he met with the Mariners already, and plans to continue talks in the days and weeks to come.
Latest On Mike Pelfrey
Free agent righty Mike Pelfrey is getting a lot of play, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, with the Mariners, Indians, Twins, and others in the mix. The Pirates were connected to Pelfrey earlier.
Pelfrey, 29 in January, had Tommy John surgery in early May and was non-tendered by the Mets last week.
Indians Looking At Stephen Drew
The Indians are looking at Stephen Drew as a potential replacement if they trade shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. The D'Backs are still in on Cabrera. We heard earlier that the Indians are also considering the Dodgers' Dee Gordon as a Cabrera replacement.
Agent Scott Boras told reporters today the market for Drew is "ever-growing," and he met with A's GM Billy Beane twice in the last two days.
Angels To Sign Sean Burnett
The Angels reinforced their bullpen with another free agent today, reaching an agreement with lefty Sean Burnett on a two-year deal with a club option, according to MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez. The deal is worth $8MM, reports Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times, and includes a $4.5MM vesting option for 2015 with a $500K buyout. Burnett is represented by Jim Munsey.
Burnett, 30, had been drawing strong interest as one of the best free agent lefty relievers available this offseason. He posted a 2.38 ERA, 9.1 K/9, 1.9 BB/9, 0.64 HR/9, and 57.4% groundball rate in 56 2/3 innings for the Nationals in 2012.
The Angels signed righty Ryan Madson last month, though they also subtracted Jordan Walden in the Tommy Hanson deal.
Earlier today, the Cardinals reached an agreement with lefty Randy Choate on a three-year, $7.5MM deal. Last month, the Giants re-signed southpaw Jeremy Affeldt to a three-year, $18MM contract.
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports first reported a deal was close. Photo courtesy of U.S. Presswire.
Pirates Acquire Andy Oliver
The Pirates acquired lefty Andrew Oliver from the Tigers for catcher Ramon Cabrera, tweets Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Oliver, 25, was drafted by the Tigers in the second round in 2009. He was once pretty highly-regarded and had a taste of the Majors, but in 2012 his Triple-A walk rate soared to 6.7 per nine innings. Baseball America has described him as "a power lefty who needs to throw more strikes." Oliver had a dust-up with the NCAA in '08, winning a lawsuit against them after he was suspended for having an adviser in talks with the Twins.
Cabrera, 23, spent most of 2012 in Double-A, hitting .276/.342/.367 in 428 plate appearances. He's a high-contact switch-hitter with a questionable arm, wrote BA.
Yankees, Indians Met With Mark Reynolds’ Agent
The Yankees met with the agent for free agent corner infielder Mark Reynolds today, tweets MLB.com's Bryan Hoch. Hoch says Reynolds is aiming for a salary similar to the $7.5MM he made in 2012. The Indians also met with Reynolds' agent, tweets MLB.com's Jordan Bastian.
As we learned yesterday, Reynolds appears to be pretty popular in free agency. The Yankees are not a perfect fit, as Reynolds is better-regarded as a first baseman.
Latest On Reds, Ludwick
WEDNESDAY, 4:25pm: The Reds are "still a little ways apart" with Ludwick, GM Walt Jocketty told MLB.com's Mark Sheldon.
9:59pm: Ludwick remains in discussions with the Reds and others, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.
9:32pm: Ludwick and the Reds are getting close on a deal, hears Yahoo's Jeff Passan.
TUESDAY, 4:12pm: "We're in the ballpark," Reds GM Walt Jocketty said of the team's offer to Ludwick. The team is now waiting on Ludwick and Jocketty expects resolution this week (John Fay reporting).
MONDAY, 5:01pm: The Reds have an offer out to free agent outfielder Ryan Ludwick, manager Dusty Baker tells John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer (Twitter link). Reds GM Walt Jocketty told reporters he's optimistic, and he'll meet with Ludwick's agent tomorrow morning. A signing is possible this week.
Meanwhile, the Mets have interest in the 34-year-old, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
Jocketty also cleared up rumors about the Reds' interest in Dexter Fowler and Coco Crisp, telling reporters, "We really haven’t talked to either club if that’s any indication. I’m not sure Colorado is moving Fowler." Jocketty said the Rockies have not brought up Homer Bailey's name to him, either.


