Astros Links: Rodriguez, Wade, Mills

Ed Wade's tenure as Astros GM lasted four years and a few months, as his dismissal was announced last night.  David Gottfried will serve as interim GM.  New Astros president and CEO George Postolos described the team's criteria for their next GM in a statement last night:

"We are searching for a candidate who has the knowledge, skills and experience to build a winner and a strong commitment to player development in order to sustain success. Our goal is to consistently compete for a championship, and we know the first step towards that goal is to develop one of the top farm systems in baseball. We will hire the best candidate available to achieve our goal."

That's a pretty standard-issue statement.  Here are today's Astros links…

  • The Astros don’t expect to hire a new GM before the Winter Meetings begin next Monday, according to MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart.
  • There’s a “decent-sized” market for Wandy Rodriguez if the next Astros GM wants to move him, according to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney (on Twitter).
  • Wade was informed by owner Jim Crane and Postolos Wednesday morning that he wouldn't return, he told MLB.com's Brian McTaggart.  The Astros will be paying him through 2013.  Wade expressed disappointment he won't be able to see the rebuilding project through to the end.  He added, "We were able to acquire Randy Wolf, LaTroy Hawkins and Jose Valverde and several other players, who, in different economic circumstances, we could have retained and could have been more successful at the big league level.  The last couple of years in the economic environment we were in, we were in position of being mandated to trade iconic players — Berkman and Oswalt in 2010 and then young All-Stars in Bourn and Pence and [Jeff] Keppinger, who was a solid piece to our club." 
  • Wade indicated he wants to find a new job in baseball quickly, saying, "I haven't had a lot of down time and I'm not looking for down time."
  • Wade "inched the franchise back toward respectability," in the opinion of Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle.
  • One "really smart executive" estimated that the Astros will take four to seven years to become respectable again, writes ESPN's Buster Olney.
  • The Astros will choose their new GM before clarifying the status of manager Brad Mills, hears SI's Jon Heyman (Twitter link).  Mills is not a candidate to return to Boston as their next manager, tweets Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald.

Pirates Interested In Aaron Cook

The Pirates have shown preliminary interest in free agent righty Aaron Cook, writes Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.  About a half-dozen teams have checked in so far, hears Brink, and the Pirates' interest is in the early stages.  Cook is represented by Pro Star Management, Inc.

Cook, 32, posted a 6.03 ERA, 4.5 K/9, 3.4 BB/9, 0.84 HR/9, and 55.1% groundball rate in 97 innings for the Rockies this year.  Those peripherals aren't markedly different from Cook's past work, so there's hope the groundballer can post an ERA in the mid-4.00s.  Recent health issues will suppress Cook's price tag, as he's endured a sprained toe, displaced right fibula fracture, a broken ring finger, and shoulder inflammation.  The Rockies moved him to the bullpen in September.

As Brink notes, the Pirates have a need in the rotation with Paul Maholm a free agent and Charlie Morton undergoing hip surgery.  Like recent signing Clint Barmes, Cook has a relationship with Pirates manager Clint Hurdle.

Agent: Angels One Of 4-5 Teams With Serious Interest In Aramis

The Angels are one of five or five teams with "serious interest" in free agent third baseman Aramis Ramirez, agent Paul Kinzer told Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times.  DiGiovanna notes that earlier this month Angels GM Jerry Dipoto described his interest level in Ramirez as "lower, but I never close the door on anyone."

Ramirez is open to playing on the West Coast, Kinzer told DiGiovanna.  With full no-trade rights this summer, Ramirez was not so flexible.  DiGiovanna believes Ramirez could make a decision on his new team at next week's Winter Meetings.  On November 14th, Kinzer told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports Ramirez seeks a four-year deal or three years with an option.

The Angels are interested in relievers Matt Capps, Heath Bell, Francisco Cordero, Octavio Dotel, and Scott Linebrink, adds DiGiovanna.  They're also very interested in starter C.J. Wilson, who's touring the country meeting with suitors.

Cubs Open For Business On Matt Garza

Teams have a clear belief that the Cubs are open for business on starter Matt Garza, tweets ESPN's Buster Olney.  Some teams expect Garza to be dealt this winter.  Earlier this month, USA Today's Bob Nightengale wrote that the Cubs are willing to listen on everyone.

Garza, 28, moved to the National League this year and posted career-bests with a 3.32 ERA and 197 strikeouts.  He's under team control for 2012 and '13, and MLBTR projects a salary around $8.7MM for '12.

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Blue Jays, three of teams that had no access to acquiring Garza when he pitched for the Rays in the AL East, figure to inquire with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer this winter.  The Rangers, Rockies, Marlins, Angels, Nationals, Reds, and Dodgers could be other interested parties, and the Twins certainly know Garza well having drafted him in '05.  

What will it take to acquire Garza?  The Cubs' farm system is light on top-shelf young pitching, based on rankings from Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus.  With Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, and Martin Perez, the Yankees and Rangers' top arms could be of particular interest to the Cubs.

Rockies Considering Ramon Hernandez; Angels Like Iannetta

The Rockies are exploring signing catcher Ramon Hernandez and the Angels like Chris Iannetta, writes Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.  However, a Rosenthal source describes the discussion between the two teams involving Iannetta as "just conversation (that) never got real far."  Iannetta, 28, has more value to the Rockies than any other team, because he can void his 2013 club option if traded.

The Reds' Ryan Hanigan is also on Jerry Dipoto's wish list for the Angels, as Rosenthal told us six days ago.  Meanwhile the Rockies are not considered close to signing Hernandez, who had the good fortune of being reclassified as a Type B free agent.  The Rockies are the first team to be linked to Hernandez this winter.

Pirates Release Xavier Paul

Today's minor moves…

  • The Pirates released outfielder Xavier Paul, who cleared waivers, tweets MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch.  She adds that he cannot technically re-sign with the Pirates until May 16th.  Paul, 26, was designated for assignment earlier this month.  He posted a .254/.293/.349 line in 251 plate appearances for the Pirates this year.

David Ortiz Seeks Three-Year Deal

Free agent designated hitter David Ortiz seeks a three-year deal, reports Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald.  An industry source tells Silverman Ortiz is drawing "serious interest" from more than one team and has an offer in hand.  He and the Red Sox maintain mutual interest about a new deal, and Ortiz intends to allow them to match any offer.

One wrinkle for Ortiz is that signing him comes with the tax of the loss of a draft pick, assuming he turns down Boston's arbitration offer.  If Ortiz is serious about getting multiple years, he'll have to turn down that arbitration offer on December 7th.  The Blue Jays, a somewhat reasonable match for Big Papi, probably aren't keen on giving the Red Sox their #17 pick in next year's draft.  Last week, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports wrote that the arbitration offer is one reason the Red Sox are "more likely than not" to retain Ortiz.  

Morosi On Fielder, Randy Wells, Guthrie

A "tense three-week period that will shape [baseball's] landscape for the following year" begins today, writes Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.  His latest:

  • Agent Scott Boras has pared down Prince Fielder's sales pitch binder but still has 70 pages worth, he tells Morosi.  Morosi says Fielder's suitors are believed to be the Cubs, Nationals, Rangers, and Mariners.
  • The Cubs are open to moving Randy Wells, indicates Morosi as he lists available starting pitchers.  Wells, 29, is under team control through 2014.  MLBTR projects him to earn $2.2MM in 2012.  
  • The Angels and Orioles discussed the possibility of a Jeremy Guthrie trade in recent days.  Guthrie, 33 in April, projects to earn $8.3MM in 2012 before hitting free agency.
  • Japanese players including righty Hisashi Iwakuma, lefties Tsuyoshi Wada and Wei-Yin Chen, and second baseman Kensuke Tanaka can begotiate with MLB teams after free agency in Japan begins Thursday.  The Yakult Swallows intend to post outfielder Norichika Aoki after the Winter Meetings, adds Morosi.

Rays Sign Jose Molina

The Rays officially announced the signing of catcher Jose Molina today to a one-year deal with a club option.  The $1.8MM deal pays $1.5MM for Molina's 2012 salary and includes a club option at the same price for '13 with a $300K buyout.  Molina jumps to the top of the Rays' depth chart, as yesterday they traded catcher John Jaso to the Mariners for reliever Josh Lueke and a player to be named later or cash considerations.     

With the Rays, the 36-year-old Molina appears to have a shot at topping his season-bests of 297 plate appearances and 737 innings caught, both set in 2008 with the Yankees.  Molina is known for his defense (especially in framing pitches), but in 2011 he had one of his best offensive years in a limited 191 plate appearance sample.  Molina is "one of the best defensive catchers in baseball over the past decade," in the words of Rays executive vice president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman. The Blue Jays will receive a supplemental draft pick for their loss.  Molina is represented by ACES.

Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports broke the story on November 17th, with Jon Heyman, Ken Rosenthal, and Jayson Stark adding details today.

Phillies Called Billy Wagner After Season

The Phillies had an outside-the-box idea before signing Jonathan Papelbon this winter.  The team called closer Billy Wagner after the season in hopes of coaxing him out of retirement, writes Mark Hale of the New York Post.  Wagner told Hale, "It was after the regular season…just to see if I was even contemplating coming back or had an itch or anything.  I just told them, 'No, I do not have an itch.'"

Wagner, 40, went out on top with a 37-save season with the Braves in 2010.  He closed for the Phillies from 2004-05, after which he joined the Mets on a free agent deal.  Wagner is currently coaching junior varsity baseball and has no intention of coming out of retirement.