Dodgers Takeover Links: Thursday

Yesterday MLB made a move to wrest ownership of the Dodgers from Frank McCourt, taking over financial operations for the club.  Ramona Shelburne of ESPN Los Angeles wrote, "Never in the modern history of professional sports has there been such a hostile takeover."  The decision was an accumulation of all of McCourt's missteps, writes Yahoo's Tim Brown.  The takeover is a hot topic today, so we'll be adding the latest links in the top bullets.

  • Bud Selig said the Dodgers' ownership problems are "not similar" to the Mets' financial situation, reports John Cherwa of the Los Angeles Times.  Selig made a slight comparison between Major League Baseball's takeover of the Dodgers and when the league stepped in to handle the Rangers' sale last year. 
  • History isn't on McCourt's side, as the courts have traditionally upheld the commissioner's jurisdiction over the sport, reports Victoria Kim, Chris Goffard and Dan Weikel for the L.A. Times.
  • Brewers owner Mark Attanasio "dismissed…completely" any interest in buying the Dodgers, tweets Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
  • Athletics owner Lew Wolff is also not interested in the Dodgers, reports Shaikin.
  • A rival executive doubts McCourt will sue, talking to ESPN's Buster Olney.  The owner seems to have little chance at winning and is already short on cash.
  • This link is from yesterday, but Jonah Keri's article for FanGraphs on what it was like when MLB owned the Expos is a good read.  Meanwhile, Keri's colleague Dave Cameron notes that the Dodgers were already notorious for making payroll-neutral deals, so GM Ned Colletti can probably keep doing that this summer.
  • Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times says Brewers owner Mark Attanasio and White Sox executive Dennis Gilbert are "the two parties most often mentioned as interested buyers," assuming MLB tries to force a sale.  Tom Werner, part of Boston's ownership group, is not interested, learned Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.  Shaikin notes that Selig "has anticipated the possibility of a legal challenge by McCourt, which could delay any ownership change."
  • MLB "will now have approval rights over every significant expenditure by the team, including a trade or contract extension," write David Wharton and Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times.  Former Braves and Nationals executive Stan Kasten is a candidate to be Selig's point man in charge of the Dodgers, according to ESPN Los Angeles.  John McHale Jr. and Corey Busch are other possibilities.
  • Dodgers outfielders Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier reiterated to Dylan Hernandez that they want to remain with the team.  Both players are looking at eight-figure arbitration rewards for 2012, after which they can become free agents.

Mets Notes: Bay, Elvin Ramirez, Loan

Jason Bay makes his season debut for the Mets tonight, and hopefully he can inject some offense into an offense that ranks 12th in the NL with 4.00 runs per game.  The latest links involving the team:

  • Joel Sherman of the New York Post talks about the Mets' need for Bay to add some life to the club, with the team's clubhouse already giving out a mathematically-eliminated vibe.
  • Elvin Ramirez, the 23-year-old reliever taken by the Nationals from the Mets in the December Rule 5 draft, received a cortisone injection in his shoulder last week according to this tweet from Adam Kilgore of the Washington PostESPN's Adam Rubin attempts to decipher the situation, tweeting that Ramirez "must spend 90 non-September says active on 25-man roster to become Nats property."
  • Commissioner Bud Selig said the $25MM the Mets borrowed from MLB is due back before the end of the season, and he's confident the team will make the payment, according to this tweet from Brian Costa of The Wall Street Journal.

Brewers Extend Ryan Braun Through 2020

The Brewers extended left fielder Ryan Braun through the 2020 season, the team announced.  The extension is for five years and $105MM, tweets CAA Sports, while MLB.com's Adam McCalvy has the year-by-year breakdown.  The contract includes a mutual option for 2021 worth up to $20MM with a $4MM buyout.  McCalvy notes that the deal includes a $10MM signing bonus, a no-trade provision, and some deferred salary.  The deferrals were key to the deal, CAA agent Nez Balelo told McCalvy.

Braun was already under contract through 2015 on a precedent-setting dealAs I noted on Monday, the Rockies' Troy Tulowitzki is the only other player under contract through the 2020 season.  Braun and Tulo were drafted fifth and seventh overall in 2005, respectively, and both tacked monster extensions on top of their old team-friendly contracts in 2011.  Like Tulo's deal, Braun's contract actually takes a dip in salary toward the end.  My biggest concern with Tulo's deal was the difficulty in projecting injury risk rather than performance decline.  Braun seems a safer bet than Tulowitzki to remain healthy, though Braun signed his contract even further away from free agency and does not play a premium position.

Braun's new contract represents the largest contract in Brewers history, as did his previous $45MM deal.  His agency notes the $21MM average annual value on the new extension is the second-highest ever for an outfielder, ranking behind only Manny Ramirez's $22.5MM AAV on his last Dodgers deal.  Among all position players, Adrian Gonzalez, Mark Teixeira, Joe Mauer, Ryan Howard, and Alex Rodriguez also have higher AAVs.

Braun will turn 37 shortly after his contract ends, so he may be a Brewer for his entire career, notes Balelo.  Braun's career batting line so far: .308/.367/.557 with 133 home runs in 2627 plate appearances.  This is likely his final season playing alongside the Brewers' other superstar slugger, Prince Fielder, who will be eligible for free agency.

Brewers Outright George Kottaras

Aside from signing Ryan Braun through 2020, the Brewers announced a series of transactions today.  Catcher George Kottaras was outrighted to Triple-A Nashville, leaving the team's 40-man roster at 38.  Also, Mike McClendon was optioned, LaTroy Hawkins was reinstated, and Zack Greinke's rehab assignment will continue Sunday for the Nashville Sounds.

Potential Offense Targets For The Phillies

One common question in yesterday's chat was which bats the Phillies could acquire this summer.  The Phillies rank fifth in the NL with 4.88 runs per game so far, and trading season is two months away, so it's not time to sound the alarm yet.  But here are a few potential targets anyway.

There's still no timetable for Chase Utley to return, so the Phillies could consider adding an offensive-minded second baseman.  Availability of these players will depend on the standings.  If the Phillies seek all-around offense they could try for Arizona's Kelly Johnson or San Francisco's Mark DeRosaAaron Hill and Jose Lopez can provide power, while Marco Scutaro, Jeff Keppinger, and Omar Infante are more OBP-focused.

Rather than bring in a $5.85MM second baseman like Johnson, the Phillies seem more likely to add a corner outfielder.  Domonic Brown could help out in right field.  He could start a rehab assignment soon after breaking his hand in March.  The Phillies should have a good idea of whether Brown can be an offensive asset by mid-July. 

It's tough to assess the available outfielders in April, before teams reveal their true selves.  Carlos Beltran, Jason Kubel, Luke Scott, Juan Pierre, Carlos Quentin, Hunter Pence, Carlos Lee, Andre Ethier, Matt KempGarrett Jones, Ryan Ludwick, Brad Hawpe, Josh Willingham, David DeJesus, Juan Rivera, Jack Cust, Jeff Francoeur, Xavier Nady, Angel Pagan, Kosuke Fukudome, and Marlon Byrd are players I can picture being dealt under certain circumstances.  Some are more likely than others – I'm not banking on Kemp being dealt.  If the Phillies aim for switch-hitters or right-handed bats, this list is cut to Beltran, Quentin, Pence, Lee, Kemp, Ludwick, Willingham, Rivera, Francoeur, Nady, Pagan, and Byrd.

There are also financial concerns.  Incumbent left fielder Raul Ibanez earns $11.5MM this year, and his is not a contract anyone is taking off the Phillies' hands.  Some of the above-named players aren't even clear upgrades over Ibanez.  We're unsure how much payroll flexibility the Phillies have, and most of the players I named are earning more than $5MM this year.  They could unload a different contract, with Joe Blanton the most popular choice.  But Blanton is only tradeable if he's pitching reasonably well, and in that case moving him downgrades the Phillies' rotation and might set them back as much as an outfield acquisition would set them forward.

It wouldn't be hard for the Phillies to add a complementary piece like Keppinger or Francoeur.  Otherwise, the best chance at an improved offense will probably come from a healthy Utley and production from Brown, Ibanez, or Jimmy Rollins.

How Much Will John Danks Earn In 2012?

If they don't sign extensions, starters John Danks, Matt Garza, Jeremy Guthrie, and Jered Weaver will enter fairly uncharted waters in the upcoming offseason as their agents attempt to establish their 2012 salaries.  As I mentioned earlier this month, top starters are unwilling to go year-to-year through arbitration these days.  We rarely see a healthy, ace-type pitcher make it to his third arbitration year, but Danks, Garza, Guthrie, and Weaver are primed to do just that.

Using Danks as a case study, I asked five arbitration experts what they think he'll earn in 2012.  Danks is at an even $6MM this year, and we're assuming a normal platform season from him in 2011.

The ceiling for Danks appears to be around $12MM.  Carlos Zambrano, who received a $5.9MM raise to $12.4MM for the 2007 season, is the comparable Danks' agent at CAA Sports (Jeff Berry) might aim for.  However, none of the five experts I spoke to thought Danks' career or platform year numbers will top Zambrano's.  Everyone instead predicted a salary in the $10-11MM range for Danks.  Zambrano had comparables of his own, by the way, as Chan Ho Park and Kevin Millwood received $6MM raises early in the decade.

There is an interesting possibility, depending on which pitcher in Danks' class settles first.  One arbitration consultant noted, "The best evidence in any arbitration hearing is the current class, and if these guys work together they could really redefine this entire market. I could see Danks getting $10.5-11MM right now. But would not be shocked if this group of pitchers changed that."  He gave an example of the first-time starting pitcher market shifting during the 2010-11 offseason, as Armando Galarraga became the new $2.3MM type and Kyle Kendrick and Kevin Slowey were able to do better.

Chicago pitchers Danks and Garza are particularly comparable, so that'll be an interesting parallel to follow throughout the season.  The 2012 starting pitching arbitration class is loaded with intrigue.  Clayton Kershaw and David Price will duke it out trying to top Dontrelle Willis' first-time record of $4.35MM (it appears both will succeed).  As a third-year arbitration eligible starter Weaver could post a Cy Young season and fly past $13MM.  Tim Lincecum, who is already at $13MM, is headed for an arbitration record-breaking salary.  Cole Hamels is in line for a huge bump as well, entering his fourth arbitration year coming off a $9.5MM salary.  If like many MLBTR readers you're fascinated by this stuff, January and February should be exciting months.

2012 Contract Issues: Washington Nationals

The Nationals are next in our 2012 Contract Issues series.  Here's what the team faces after the 2011 season:

Eligible For Free Agency (11)

Contract Options (0)

Arbitration Eligible (7)

A few others, such as Craig Stammen and Roger Bernadina, could reach the requisite amount of service time if they're called up.  Zimmermann's shortened 2010 and '11 seasons will limit his career numbers and his arbitration payday, but he could still reach $2MM.  Lannan and Gorzelanny could be in the $4MM range.  Overall I could see the team's arbitration eligibles getting about $16MM total, but that's just a rough April estimate.

2012 Payroll Obligation

The Nationals' 2012 payroll obligation, according to Cot's, is $44.596MM.  My arbitration estimate puts them around $61MM, $7MM short of this year's payroll.  Still, I expect the team to have the flexibility to add starting pitching, relief help, and outfielders as needed during the 2011-12 offseason.

MLB To Take Over Dodgers’ Financial Operations

9:16pm: SI.com's Jon Heyman hears that McCourt "intends to fight" MLB for control of the team (on Twitter). It's an uphill battle not just legally, but in the court of public opinion. Legal costs could be another issue for the Dodgers' owner.

3:59pm: Commissioner Bud Selig has announced that MLB will take over the Dodgers' financial operations from Frank McCourt, reports Bill Shaikin of the L.A. TimesShaikin's colleague Dylan Hernandez adds that Selig "will appoint a representative to oversee all aspects of the business and the day-to-day operations of the Dodgers."  Shaikin has the official statement from Selig hereESPN's Buster Olney calls Selig's takeover "a two-handed shove out the door," and awaits McCourt's legal response.

SI's Jon Heyman wrote earlier today that MLB is "disinclined to grant McCourt's request" for approval of a TV deal with Fox that might have allowed him to retain control of the Dodgers.

Gammons Talks Red Sox Catcher, Lowrie

Peter Gammons of MLB Network and NESN joined WEEI's Mut & Merloni show today to discuss Red Sox issues; here's the transcript.  Highlights:

  • Gammons feels that Boston's starting catcher situation is "an issue that in the next two weeks is going to be addressed," with Jarrod Saltalamacchia struggling both on defense and offense.  Gammons suggests Tim Federowicz is "the best catch-and-throw guy in the organization," and would be the first person called up if the Sox try an internal solution.  Gammons does not see anybody good the Red Sox could acquire right now.
  • Gammons thinks Jed Lowrie is "right in the middle as far as everyday shortstops in the major leagues."  Today in the Boston Herald, Padres assistant GM Jason McLeod talked to John Tomase about what he saw when he drafted Lowrie in 2005.  I can see Marco Scutaro being dealt if Lowrie continues to excel for the next few months.
  • Rich Hill is Boston's best option among situational lefties, but Gammons says the team wants to "give Rich a full month to get his feet on the ground, get used to this delivery and get his confidence restored before they bring him up."  Hill was re-signed by the Red Sox to a minor league deal in mid-December, as GM Theo Epstein elected not to spend money on left-handed relief.

AL West Notes: Felix, Leonys Martin, Brandon Wood

The Rangers and Angels are currently tied for first place in the AL West, with 11-6 records.  The latest from the division: