Brad Penny Rumors
Brad Penny pitched well enough to win his 100th career game last night. Today, he’s the subject of many trade rumors. Here they are:
- David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that the Phillies had a scout in Boston watching Penny’s start last night.
- The Rangers appear interested as well, Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports.
- Cafardo heard from one NL scout who believes Penny is “the best name out there” for teams in search of starters.
- The Red Sox have fielded offers on Penny but they value their depth and may not make a move.
- Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald says Penny was throwing as hard as 98 mph.
- Penny would prefer to pitch every fifth day, but he’s open to pitching in a six-man rotation, according to Don Amore of the Hartford Courant.
Buchholz And Bowden On Boston Rotation
WEDNESDAY: WEEI's DJ Bean talked to Buchholz, who clarified his comments from earlier this week. The young pitcher explained, "My goal is to pitch in Boston." Maybe Buchholz won't squeeze his way in this year, but I imagine at the worst he'll have a spot in the 2010 rotation.
MONDAY: Clay Buchholz and Michael Bowden both believe their impressive starts at Triple A Pawtucket would translate into big-league success. Buchholz told Mike Giardi of NECN.com that he's ready to help Boston, but said "if not that team, I want to be in the big leagues and I do want to go somewhere where I'll be able to play and pitch every fifth day." Buchholz did not suggest that he's hoping for a trade, but he's clearly eager to return to the majors. Check out Joe Haggerty's transcript on Hacks with Haggs.
Odds And Ends: Strasburg, Guillen, Smoltz
Links for Wednesday afternoon…
- Maury Brown of the Biz of Baseball points out that a $5MM annual salary would place Stephen Strasburg within the top third of arbitration-eligible pitchers from last offseason.
- John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press reports that Carlos Guillen will have to undergo season-ending surgery if his shoulder doesn't heal soon.
- Alex Speier of WEEI.com looks at the impact John Smoltz's return will have on each of the five other Boston starters.
- In an article for SI.com Joel Sherman argues the Indians shouldn't trade Cliff Lee this year. They can contend with Lee in 2010, if not this year, so Sherman says it makes sense to try to win with him.
- Jorge Says No! outlines possible fire sales for the Nationals and Orioles.
- Yankees first rounder Slade Heathcott and his agent were in New York last night, but the Yankees aren't expected to sign their selection quickly, according to Peter Abraham.
Heyman On Bedard, Valentine, Glavine
Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the market for starting pitching continues to shrink as top pitchers encounter health issues. Here are the details, along with the rest of his rumors:
- Unless Erik Bedard proves his shoulder is healthy, Brad Penny and Jarrod Washburn could be the most appealing starters on the market.
- Theo Epstein, who traded Bronson Arroyo when the Red Sox seemed to have excess pitching, would rather have a pitching surplus than give Penny away.
- The Phillies, who are still looking for a front-line starter, are a little "leery" of adding Bedard, according to one of Heyman's sources.
- The Indians remain reluctant to deal Cliff Lee, who would be the best starter availabe if he hit the market.
- One GM says the Nationals should add Bobby Valentine, but says they're "too cheap" to make the move.
- Tom Glavine's agent acknowledged that his client is becoming more likely to retire.
- The asking price for Nick Johnson remains high.
Morosi On Penny, Hermida, Padres
Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports shows that Derek Jeter's much-criticized defense has been above average this year. He also provides some rumors, so let's take a look:
- One official said he doubts the Red Sox move Brad Penny. They can do so without his permission, now that we're two and a half months into the season.
- Morosi says Chris Young and Heath Bell are sure to attract interest, but says Kevin Towers doesn't have to trade either player.
- It's possible that the Padres will "flip relievers for prospects."
- The Braves like Jeremy Hermida, but it makes sense for them to pass the Marlins in the standings before inquiring on him.
Odds & Ends: Buchholz, Nats, O’s, Rays
A few bits and pieces from around the web:
- According to Daniel Barbarisi of the Providence Journal, the Red Sox are "shrugging off" comments made by Clay Buchholz that may have been blown out of proportion. "Whenever they come to a problem, they seem like they find a way to fix it without me being in the picture. It is what it is — it's frustrating at times," said Buchholz. Terry Francona called the comment one throwaway line in "a really mature interview."
- The AP reports Nats' manager Manny Acta has no worries about being fired despite reports that that he'll be replaced by bench coach Jim Riggleman.
- Eight draft picks were signed by the Orioles, all players selected between rounds 12 and 45, says Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun.
- Cheng Sio of MLB.com reports the Rays signed 14 of their draft picks, all collegiate level players taken in the 12th round or later.
Smoltz Set To Return On June 25
John Smoltz is scheduled to return to the Majors next Thursday, June 25, against the Nationals. This will slot the 42-year old between Josh Beckett and Jon Lester in the rotation, barring a change in probables.
According to AP Sports Writer Howard Ulman, Terry Francona suggested he may use a six-man rotation for a "short period of time" so don't hold your breath for any immediate trade activity. The Boston Globe's Amalie Benjamin tweets it would be "for a couple turns, but not as a long-term solution, Francona said." She also notes that Smoltz will not face the Braves in this set-up.
Last Friday, MLBTR readers discussed what the Red Sox should do with their starting pitching surplus. Answers varied, to say the least.
Rosenthal On Saito, Rangers, Hardy
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the Red Sox discussed a trade that would have sent Takashi Saito to Texas for Hank Blalock. The idea lost traction once Josh Hamilton underwent surgery and David Ortiz began hitting better and it's not likely to be revived. However, "several" teams have interest in Saito, who the Red Sox might prefer to deal for a prospect. Here are more details from Rosenthal's column:
- The Rangers remain the leading contenders to sign Ben Sheets.
- They also considered going after Nick Johnson, but are more likely to replace Chris Davis internally if they decide he's not contributing enough at the plate.
- One scout has noticed the Brewers following Erik Bedard and believes they'll make a "strong play" for him.
- J.J. Hardy remains appealing to teams around the league and the Brewers are "constantly" asked about shortstop prospect Alcides Escobar.
- The Red Sox "sniffed around" on a Hardy-Brad Penny swap, but that deal wouldn't work for Milwaukee.
- The Orioles are increasingly willing to deal George Sherrill and Danys Baez.
Odds And Ends: Francoeur, Draft, Giants
Some more links for the evening…
- MLB.com's Mark Bowman wonders if Jeff Francoeur might end up with the Marlins after all. He can imagine a Francoeur-Jeremy Hermida swap. Personally, I don't see the Marlins making that deal.
- Adam Kilgore of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox are set to sign their second round pick, pitcher Alex Wilson.
- MLB.com's Matthew Leach reports that the Cardinals agreed to sign their second rounder, Robert Stock, and 31 other players they drafted.
- The Cards haven't reached an agreement with first rounder Shelby Miller yet, and, as Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports, that's no surprise.
- As Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports, Boston's director of player personnel, Mike Hazen heard Clay Buchholz's comments and remains sure that the righty wants to help the Red Sox win titles.
- Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle says the Giants could really use a power bat.
Odds And Ends: Crow, Willis, Bay
More links for the afternoon…
- Aaron Crow, the Royals' first round draft pick, told MLB.com's Rustin Dodd that this year, he's focused on completing a deal and beginning to play. Last year, he was drafted by the Nationals, but didn't sign.
- Mike Hazen, the Red Sox Director of Player Personnel, told CMSB Media that the team has already begun working on the 2010 draft. Click the link to hear the entire interview.
- The most intriguing name in next year's draft class could be Bryce Harper. Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star says Harper should finish high school early if his "dream is to play pro ball, not flirt in homeroom."
- Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press would like to see the Twins try to acquire Robb Quinlan from the Angels.
- Steve Kornacki of MLive.com wonders whether the Tigers would release Dontrelle Willis and eat the remainder of this year's $10MM contract, plus the $12MM he's owed in 2010.
- Brett Perryman of the Dallas Morning News says the Rangers' number one priority should be to prepare players within the organization to carry the Rangers to the playoffs in "2010 and on."
- ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick says it's hard to imagine Jason Bay signing for less than $60MM over four years or $70MM over five.
- Jeff Gordon includes Reggie Jackson, Orlando Hudson and David Ortiz on his list of the best ever free agent bargains at AskMen.com.
- Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel wonders what the Brewers will do with the slumping J.J. Hardy.
- MLB.com's Brian McTaggart reports that the Astros have signed 22 of the players they drafted, including their second rounder, Tanner Bushue.
- MLB.com's Mark Sheldon has a corresponding list for the Reds, who also signed their second rounder.
