5:33pm: I noticed that Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe rattled off a slew of possibilities to clear waivers this month, including Kevin Millar, Rafael Betancourt, Bobby Crosby, Mark Ellis, Alan Embree, and Raul Ibanez.
9:19am: Today let’s take a swing through the American League and identify players who could clear waivers this month. If a player clears waivers he can be traded to any team for another such player or a prospect not on the 40-man roster.
- Rays: Trever Miller, Jonny Gomes. Gomes is already earning $1.275MM this year; he might be a non-tender candidate after the season. Miller is earning $2MM. Both are having poor seasons.
- Red Sox: Jason Varitek, Julio Lugo, Mike Timlin, Alex Cora. These players should pass through waivers unclaimed, but no one will want to trade for them. Lugo has $20.8MM remaining on his contract.
- Yankees: Jason Giambi, Derek Jeter, Bobby Abreu, Johnny Damon, Ivan Rodriguez, Carl Pavano. Many of the Yanks’ high-priced stars could clear waivers, but trading them wouldn’t make sense. Pavano could be moved in the right situation.
- Blue Jays: Scott Rolen, Vernon Wells, Lyle Overbay, Gregg Zaun. The Jays don’t seem likely to attempt to unload any of these contracts, except maybe Zaun. Jon Heyman believes A.J. Burnett could also slip through waivers.
- Orioles: Aubrey Huff, Melvin Mora, Ramon Hernandez, Jay Payton, Jamie Walker. It’s not hard to envision most of these guys clearing waivers, and maybe a few salary dump deals can be worked out. Huff’s .912 OPS ranks 10th in the AL, and he has about $10.5MM left on his contract through ’09. I could see a team claiming him.
- Twins: Michael Cuddyer, Mike Lamb, Adam Everett. These players should all clear waivers. Lamb and Everett could become DFA candidates.
- White Sox: Jim Thome, Ken Griffey Jr., Paul Konerko, Jose Contreras, A.J. Pierzynski, Juan Uribe, Mike MacDougal. The Sox have plenty of high-priced vets who could make it through waivers. Konerko would be tough to move given his poor performance and 10-and-5 rights.
- Tigers: Gary Sheffield, Edgar Renteria, Kenny Rogers, Todd Jones, Dontrelle Willis, Nate Robertson. The Tigers are seven games out in the AL Central; a few weeks from now they might look to get some money off the books.
- Royals: Jose Guillen, Jimmy Gobble, Ross Gload. Gobble and Gload don’t seem likely to help a contender, while the Royals apparently want to keep Guillen. Jon Heyman believes Mark Grudzielanek would clear.
- Indians: Paul Byrd, David Dellucci, Jamey Carroll. Byrd has almost $2.5MM left on his deal, but we could still see a team put in a claim. Jon Heyman thinks Byrd will clear waivers.
- Angels: Garret Anderson, Gary Matthews Jr., Justin Speier. The Halos have some questionable contracts, but trades are not expected.
- Rangers: Kevin Millwood, Vicente Padilla, Michael Young, Frank Catalanotto, Marlon Byrd. It wouldn’t be surprising to see Catalanotto and/or Byrd moved this month. Padilla is owed more than $17MM through ’09. If a team claims that contract maybe the Rangers should let him go.
- Athletics: Eric Chavez, Emil Brown. An August deal seems unlikely for the A’s.
- Mariners: Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn, Miguel Batista, Jose Vidro, Kenji Johjima, Miguel Cairo. All kinds of bad money here. Washburn has another $13.45MM coming through ’09, but he might be claimed. Jon Heyman believes Adrian Beltre would also clear waivers.