11:37am: SI.com’s Jon Heyman says the Mets are eyeing Randy Wolf, in addition to Derek Lowe and Oliver Perez.
Heyman adds that some Mets people are concerned about their catching, but others aren’t thrilled with the free agent options.
9:20am: All kinds of Mets rumors this morning.
- Let’s begin with the closer situation. The Mets are interested in Brian Fuentes, but Omar Minaya will not rule out Francisco Rodriguez. He makes a great point: contract numbers are tossed around early, but the player often fails to reach that amount.
- Joel Sherman says the Mets also want to speak to the A’s about Huston Street. However, his sources say the A’s feel they match up better with the Indians, Rockies, and Brewers (all interested parties). Rosenthal has Kerry Wood and Joe Beimel in the Mets’ sights as well. Matthew Cerrone of MetsBlog believes J.J. Putz could be a trade target, with interest on the Mariners’ side.
- Ken Davidoff explains how the Mets could end up signing K-Rod – the Fuentes market blows up, while Rodriguez settles for less. I’m on board with that.
- The Javier Vazquez rumors were addressed in this post. Elsewhere on the starting pitching front – Minaya will talk to Pedro Martinez’s agent, but he’s unlikely to return. Aaron Heilman won’t be moving to the rotation.
- We’ve heard about the Mets’ interest in Raul Ibanez, but Minaya does not seem to consider the offense a problem. He even spoke optimistically about a Luis Castillo rebound (though he did not give Castillo a ringing endorsement).