Tomorrow marks the start of the international signing period and ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure Jr. has the latest with just hours to go:
- The Red Sox are big spenders, as they've already set up six-figure deals with three players. Jose Vinicio's $2MM bonus is the biggest, but watch out for Raul Alcantara, who could be the biggest sleeper of this year's group. A rival scouting director said the righty might be better than Michael Ynoa.
- Trainer Edgar Mercedes has a lot of clout on the international scene as a representative for Ynoa, Wagner Mateo and others.
- The recession hasn't stopped teams from spending big.
- If it turns out that Miguel Angel Sano is just 16 look for the Orioles to compete with the Twins and Pirates for his services. Baltimore could out-bid the others, but doesn't have the same personal relationship with the Dominican shortstop.
- Arangure Jr. tweets that the Yankees will announce the signing of catcher Gary Sanchez at a press conference tomorrow evening.