April is officially in the books! Let's take a look back at the week that was:
- Major League Baseball appointed former Rangers president Tom Schieffer as MLB's Dodgers trustee. Schieffer served as Rangers' president from 1991-1999.
- Frank McCourt snapped back, calling the move "un-American" on MLB's behalf, and vowed to remain in control of the team. McCourt claimed to have a deal with FOX worth nearly $300MM, but says that MLB vetoed it.
- The Orioles acquired catcher John Hester from the D'Backs to complete the Mark Reynolds trade. Baltimore sent David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio to Arizona in exchange for Reynolds and a player to be named later.
- The Pirates returned Josh Rodriguez, the #1 overall pick in this year's Rule 5 Draft, back to the Indians. Rodriguez saw only 14 PAs with Pittsburgh, and will report to Cleveland's Triple-A affiliate. The Buccos also claimed Xavier Paul from the Dodgers this week.
- The Red Sox continue to eye catching help in the wake of the struggles of Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jason Varitek. Bengie Molina, Chris Snyder, and Ivan Rodriguez are on their radar.
- The Giants have made Nate Schierholtz available to other clubs for the right price. Schierholtz hasn't done much offensively yet in the Major Leagues, but is a plus defender and has seen minor league success with the bat.
- In need of help at the hot corner, the Marlins considered making a run at Mark DeRosa. DeRosa hit the disabled list this week, though, so that idea will be tabled for the time being.
- Several bullpen transactions this week, including the Indians designating right-hander Jess Todd for assignment, the Rangers signing Justin Miller, the Astros releasing Cesar Carillo, and the Rockies DFA'ing Alan Johnson. For all of the week's minor moves and transactions, check out our Transactions tag or use MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
- One week after signing a minor league deal with the Marlins, Gabe Gross decided his heart was no longer in it and officially retired. He'll take a career line of .239/.330/.385 with him. Best of luck after baseball.