The Orioles decided to expand their GM search this week, after learning that Blue Jays assistant GM Tony LaCava declined their offer in favor of Toronto. Here's the latest on Baltimore's candidates…
- De Jon Watson has removed his name from consideration for the job, tweets SI.com's Jon Heyman.
- The team would like to have the new general manager in place by Monday, tweets Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com.
- The Orioles only plan to interview four more candidates, according to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun: Allard Baird, Dan Duquette, Damon Oppenheimer and Mike Radcliff. The O's haven't asked permission from other teams to speak to any other executives, which would seem to eliminate others on the Orioles' list such as Andrew Friedman and Rick Hahn.
- The O's have contacted the Yankees about talking to director of pro scouting Billy Eppler, reports MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko (Twitter link). Kubatko says the Orioles also plan to talk to the Rangers about permission to interview executives Thad Levine and A.J. Preller, and to the Athletics about assistant GM David Forst.
- Former Expos and Red Sox GM Dan Duquette will interview with the Orioles on Friday, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun (Twitter link).
- The Orioles are looking at Mike Arbuckle of the Royals and Allard Baird of the Red Sox, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter).
- Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com repeats that Dodgers assistant GM De Jon Watson won’t get the job (Twitter link).
- Watson and Orioles director of player development John Stockstill have interviewed for the position and Phillies assistant GM Scott Proefrock will interview as well. The Orioles also appear to have interest in Rays executive VP of baseball operations Andrew Friedman, Dodgers GM Ned Colletti, Rick Hahn of the White Sox and Mike Radcliff of the Twins.
- ESPN.com's Buster Olney weighed in on the Orioles' GM search earlier today, explaining that Baltimore has a perception problem.
Allard Baird? Really? Why don’t they just hire Jim Duquette while they’re at it.
this is a trainwreck full of kittens.
Hire Keith Law!!!
I’m a life long O’s fan – 29 years old. And I’m kicking them like a bad habit. I’ve been to at least 15 games per season the past 10 years and I’m not attending a single game this year and won’t be back until Angelos is gone.
I said at 8 losing seasons that if we ever made it to 15 I would pretty much do the same thing. Now I am either a die hard fan and a liar, or tell the truth and turn my back on my team. I don’t really know what to do, because there’s no way we win anything next season.
The Blue Jays will be happy to have you 🙂
Maybe, but I think the Marlins and/or Rays need me more.
Go Rays. I’ll lend you the Longoria jersey I wore to the last game of the year against the Sox
lol, so I know I’m a little late reading this article, but you gotta love looking back at this comment… 2012 was pretty cool, huh? and 2013 and 2014…
Friedman, Hahn and Arbuckle would all be great choices. Radcliff too, maybe, but I admit that I don’t know anything about him.
Baird and Coletti would be awful, so if the O’s don’t promote Stockstill, I expect to end up with one of those two.
Um, I just got a text from the Baltimore Sun… they are interviewing Jim Duquette… god, this just got worse!
I heard it was Dan Duquette. Not quite so bad as Jim…
bad luck again. why don’t they just call up some of the old orioles like cal ripkin jr. or jim palmer or even maybe rick dembsy?
heck of a luck to the orioles in picking friedman.
Who aren’t they interviewing?
welp, we´re going stag to the FA prom, hopefully we will find a good dance.
the fat girl with braces in the corner is eyeing you guys down :/
hey!… I don’t have braces.
I wish I had a like for the comment and the handlebar mustache.
i’m drowning myself in the punchbowl.
i spiked it so its good and ready
As much as I would love for a guy like Levine or Forst or Arbuckle to get a GM job, I don’t know if I would wish the curse of Peter Angelos’s Orioles on such bright minds.
As much as I’d love to see one of those guys names next to the top job on the O’s website, I don’t want to see their talents wasted on a team that they’re not really allowed to run.
Fellow O’s fans, I’m just in a lot of pain right now…
Hire Stringer Bell, he’ll get the organization back on its feet…
Funny that you make that joke considering Klaw made a joke about how it may take Brother Mouzone to clean up the mess in Baltimore
Lefty will be happy. Please interview Levine. He’s a legitimate candidate and he’d actually take the job. Ask the other candidates either wouldn’t take the job our are a joke.
If true about Arbuckle, I would be happy!
Just to clarify, it isn’t the guy from Garfield.
Wasn’t the cartoon character from Garfield named Jon Arbuckle?
How about new ownership first.
Angelos will have to sell the team. Unfortunately, I don’t trust his son to run this franchise either.
Supposedly his son doesn’t want the team. Not sure if it’s true but it’s the rumor.
Odds are if he sells it Ripken would put together a team to buy it.
Ed Wade?….huh?…..Any takers? Please someone take Ed Wade from us. Please.
do your part…hug an oriole fan
i know the orioles just need a refresh here maybe my my pc can do that for them
I still think I should be GM. I am willing to do it. I am stubborn as hell. But most importantly, I have no problem telling Angelos where he can put it.
seriously if nobody wants the GM job i’ll do it i guess…the Orioles already went through most of the mlb so they might as well start sorting through MLBTR commenters.
I’ve had enough, removing my name also.
This is embarrassing as an O’s fan. We always hear from baseball writers and broadcasters that candidates usually want to jump at the chance to be a 1st time GM since there are only 30 of them in the game. We’ve been rejected by two potential 1st-timers already. You gotta be friggin’ kidding me. The free agent period has begun and nobody is at the wheel of the ship.
i am sure all the free agents are just waiting for us to sign a GM so they can sign here
Ok, so the Orioles interview Dan F**King Duquette for their GM position today. I may have to abandon them now too (was a Red Sox fan until 1997 when Duquette blamed Kevin Kennedy for their poor start that year). Red Sox and Yankees (who are interchangeable anyways) are already out, but can anyone else suggest a new team to cheer for should Peter Angelos be Peter Angelos and blow this hiring a new GM opportunity?
The Toronto Blue Jays.