Here are the details on the latest minor moves. Unless otherwise noted, Matt Eddy of Baseball America first reported these transactions on Twitter…
- The Diamondbacks signed 34-year-old first baseman Randy Ruiz. He won the 2009 Pacific Coast League MVP and spent the past two seasons in Japan.
- The Rangers signed right-hander Jon Meloan, who has big league experience with the Dodgers, Indians and Athletics.
- The Padres signed right-hander Dennis Tankersley. Baseball America ranked Tankersley ahead of Jake Peavy in its 2002 handbook, but he hasn't pitched affiliated baseball since 2008.
- The Blue Jays signed right-hander Fernando Hernandez, who appeared briefly with the 2008 Athletics. The reliever has a 3.55 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9 in nine minor league seasons.
- The Cubs released right-hander Kyle Smit, who struggled at three levels in 2011.
- The Dodgers signed right-handed reliever Blake Johnson, their second round selection in the 2004 draft.
- The Mariners released former catching prospect Angel Salome, according to Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus.