The results of Josh Johnson’s start against the Padres and Roy Halladay’s start against the Braves could have major consequences for the trade market, ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark writes. More than a dozen scouts are on hand to watch Johnson pitch in Miami today, while Halladay is attempting to prevent the Braves from sweeping the Phillies out of town and, possibly, out of the playoff mix. Here are the details from Stark:
- MLB executives are wary of Johnson’s past shoulder troubles, his career-high ERA and his diminishing fastball velocity, but no other available starter has his kind of stuff. The Marlins continue to look for a “dream package” for Johnson and they’re prepared to keep him if no club meets their asking price, Stark reports.
- The Rangers seem especially cautious about Johnson, but they have people watching his start today. The Marlins told the Rangers they aren’t interested in discussing a trade unless Mike Olt is involved, yet the Rangers haven’t been willing to make Olt available.
- As of last night, the Phillies were telling clubs they haven’t decided how they’ll approach the deadline. They’ve likely done enough talking to trade Shane Victorino, Joe Blanton, Juan Pierre and Ty Wigginton in short order if necessary, Stark writes.
- The Phillies continue dangling Hunter Pence, but seem intent on waiting until the offseason to start serious trade discussions.
- Philadelphia could keep its trade chips for now and make moves in August, when players have to be placed on waivers to be dealt.
“Dream Package” is a fitting term
“no other available starter has his kind of stuff”
I’ll say. It takes a true ace to walk 6 in 5 innings. Quick Texas, trade ’em Olt and Profar…..he is obviously worth it….
6 IP w/ 7 ER and 4 BB and 4 K vs Oakland. By your logic Darvish isn’t a true ace either.
Johnson and Darvish both have 4.00+ ERA’s but JJ has a FIP much lower @ 2.98 vs Darvish’s 3.77.
yep. piss poor performances. What world are we living in that aces average 4+ runs/ 9 innings?
If Texas thought he was an ace now why would they be trying to trade for someone to start game one?
He looked like an Ace his last time out. Bad starts happen. Even Verlander gets light up.
JJ is not going to Texas.