With the non-waiver trading deadline quickly approaching, let's catch up on the week that was here at MLBTR…
- MLB upheld the $4.5MM contract between the Rangers and Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras. However, MLB suspended Beras for one year after determining that the prospect lied about his age.
- The Blue Jays signed Edwin Encarnacion to a three-year, $27MM contract extension. Encarnacion, who was set to hit free agency this offseason, added a multi-homer game over the weekend and now has 25 homers on the season.
- With minutes remaining before the deadline to sign draft picks, the Orioles agreed to sign first round selection Kevin Gausman to a deal that includes a $4.3MM bonus.
- Meanwhile, the Pirates failed to reach a deal with first round pick Mark Appel, as the right-hander will return to Stanford for his senior season. Appel was the only first round selection who didn't sign.
- The Cubs agreed to sign first round selection Albert Almora for $3.9MM; the Marlins agreed to sign first round selection Andrew Heaney for $2.6MM; first round selection Lucas Giolito agreed to sign with the Nationals for $2.925MM; first round selection Richie Shaffer agreed to sign with the Rays for $1.7125MM; and first-round draft pick Ty Hensley signed with the Yankees for $1.2MM.
- The Cardinals signed Brian Fuentes to a minor league contract after the Athletics released the Beverly Hills Sports Council client earlier last week.
- The Yankees signed Kosuke Fukudome to a minor league contract and is expected to report to New York's Triple-A affiliate.
- Some AL teams added pitching depth, as the Blue Jays signed right-hander Chris Jakubauskas to a minor league deal and the Athletics signed right-hander Chris Ray and assigned him to Triple-A.
- The Mariners signed David Pauley to a minor league deal. This is the right-hander's second stint with the M's, after being dealt from Seattle to Detroit as part of the Doug Fister trade last July.
- Jay Gibbons announced his retirement from baseball after playing nine season in the big leagues with the Orioles and Dodgers.
- Left-hander J.C. Romero opted out of his deal with the Orioles and elected free agency.
- The Dodgers acquired minor league infielder Osvaldo Martinez from the White Sox for cash considerations.
- The Orioles designated Dana Eveland for assignment and outrighted Ronny Paulino to Triple-A.
- The Red Sox designated Justin Germano for assignment in order to clear roster space for the return of Jacoby Ellsbury from the disabled list.
By Daniel Seco with Ben Nicholson-Smith.
MLB upholds the contract for Jairo Beras then suspends him for 1 year, giving him what a free 1 million dollars? I wish someone would suspend me like that 🙂
Are you left-handed? Can you throw as hard as Jamie Moyer? There might be interest.
5 years from now, the Doug Fister trade will be known as the Charlie Furbush Trade.
Daniel needs to tinker with the formatting a bit more.