A look back at the original reporting and analysis found on MLBTR the last seven days:
- Mark Polishuk asked readers to predict which one of MLBTR’s top five free agents – Alex Gordon, Justin Upton, Chris Davis, Yoenis Cespedes, and Ian Desmond – will be the next to sign. Nearly 39% of you predicted that Gordon will be the next to put pen-to-paper, followed by Cespedes and Davis. However, recent news has made it seem as though Gordon could be on the shelf for a little while longer. The Royals have reportedly been told that there’s “no chance” they’ll re-sign Gordon if they don’t increase their offer, and recent comments from Arte Moreno seem to suggest that the Angels aren’t a likely destination either.
- Later on, Mark surveyed readers on the next tier of available free agents: Wei-Yin Chen, Kenta Maeda, Dexter Fowler, Scott Kazmir, and Ian Kennedy. Nearly half of readers who participated said that Kazmir would be the first one to sign of those listed. On the other hand, it seems that readers are expecting Ian Kennedy to be waiting for a while. Only 3.67% of readers predicted that the right-hander would be the next man to sign. Kazmir has apparently received offers of three years, but might be holding out hope for four. That could be a sticking point for some teams — the Orioles, for example, might not be willing to sign Kazmir to a four-year deal.
- Charlie Wilmoth ran down the top ten remaining free agents on MLBTR’s list. Charlie provided detailed updates on each of the free agents listed above and his article is highly recommended for anyone looking to get caught up on the current state of the free agent market.
- On Saturday, Mark looked at managers and GMs from around the league who are on expiring contracts. Several teams, including the White Sox, Tigers, Rockies, and Reds, could have vacancies coming up sooner rather than later.
- MLBTR learned that the Hiroshima Toyo Carp have set the release fee for Kenta Maeda at $20MM, the maximum allowed by the agreement between MLB and NPB. Maeda, 28 in April, is widely considered to be one of the best pitchers in Japan.
- If you missed out on the most recent MLBTR chat hosted by Steve Adams, you can check out the transcript here.