Here’s the original analysis MLBTR has offered this week:
- Former major league reliever Burke Badenhop turned in his second guest column with MLBTR, this time offering firsthand knowledge of how players whose teams are out of contention late in the season handle the stretch run. If you’re under the impression those players run for the bus, think again.
- Jeff Todd highlighted eight soon-to-be arbitration-eligible hitters who are setting themselves up for significant raises during the upcoming offseason. As Jeff explained, the more plate appearances, home runs and runs batted in a hitter racks up, the better his chances are to do well in arbitration.
- Steve Adams updated his list of the top 20 August trade candidates. Players dealt in September aren’t eligible to participate in the playoffs, so time is running out on teams to acquire possible October contributors.
- With Diamondbacks chief baseball officer Tony La Russa and general manager Dave Stewart potentially on the chopping block, I polled readers on whether the club should give the much-maligned duo another chance.
- In this week’s edition of “Knocking Down the Door,” Jason Martinez looked at five prospects – two starting pitchers, two outfielders and a catcher – trying to force their way to the majors.
- Jeff forecast the futures of eight veterans – including Lucas Duda and Shelby Miller – who could be non-tender candidates during the offseason.