This week in baseball blogs:
- Underthought compares the trades the Yankees and Red Sox have made this month to acquire third basemen.
- Bleeding Royal Blue reacts to the trade Kansas City and San Diego made this week.
- Notes From The Sally scouts highly touted Braves shortstop prospect Kevin Maitan.
Clubhouse Corner’s Bernie Pleskoff discusses the best pitchers in the game and those who could become the best.
- Mets Daddy reflects on the New York tenure of first baseman Lucas Duda, whom the team traded to the Rays on Thursday.
- The First Out At Third focuses on the Brewers’ acquisition of former reliever Anthony Swarzak from the White Sox.
- BP Toronto is buying into Blue Jays first baseman Justin Smoak’s newfound success.
- Pinstriped Prospects wants the Yankees to find a way to get rid of expensive outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury.
- The Sports Tank (links: 1, 2) opines that the Brewers should acquire Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler and touches on the David Price-Dennis Eckersley feud in Boston.
- North Shore Nine analyzes the resurgence of Pirates outfielder Andrew McCutchen.
- District On Deck names the 10 biggest trades Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo has made.
- Outfield Fly Rule searches for a trade partner for Braves second baseman Brandon Phillips.
- Now On Deck analyzes this week’s Orioles-Phillies trade.
- The Runner Sports (links: 1, 2) looks at both the Astros’ and Yankees’ needs before the deadline.
- Inside the ’Zona details some relievers the Diamondbacks could target.
- Brew City Sports Report contemplates the Brewers’ deadline options.
- Minor League Ball ranks the Braves’ top 10 prospects.
- Pirates Breakdown lists three outfield targets for the Bucs.
- Jays Journal runs down potential trade destinations for Toronto right fielder Jose Bautista.
- MLB Sweet Spot evaluates some past deadline deals.
- DiNardo’s Dugout discusses the Yankees, Nationals and Diamondbacks.
- Call to the Pen (links: 1, 2) lists five corner outfielders the Royals could acquire and looks ahead to 2018 for the Phillies.
- Ladodgerreport writes about Dodgers utilityman Chris Taylor’s breakout.
- Walk-Off Walk examines Braves closer Jim Johnson’s struggles in high-leverage spots.
- Jays From the Couch assigns blame for Toronto’s disappointing season.
- The Point of Pittsburgh argues that underwhelming 2017 performances from the Pirates’ top and mid-tier prospects will hamper their moves at the deadline.
- Camden Depot revisits the Wade Miley–Ariel Miranda trade the Orioles and Mariners made in 2016.
- Big Three Sports scouts the 2017 Cape Cod League All-Star Game.
- A’s Farm interviews Rick Magnante, who manages the Athletics’ Single-A affiliate in Stockton, Calif.
Extra Innings looks at how the collective bargaining agreement affects MLB’s plans to play games at international sites.
- Everything Bluebirds hopes the Blue Jays put greater emphasis on finding quality backup catchers going forward.
- MetsMind shares a scouting report on outfielder Brandon Nimmo.
Submissions: ZachBBWI @gmail.com