Giants Discussing Guillen, Interested In Willingham
The San Francisco offense is heating up, but the Giants are still looking for outfield bats. The Royals are discussing Jose Guillen with San Francisco, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The potential deal would send the 34-year-old to San Francisco along with cash to cover some of the $4.5MM or so remaining on Guillen’s contract.
But Jayson Stark of ESPN.com hears (via Twitter) from a rival official who believes the Royals have “no real options” to move Guillen, even if they ask for a modest return and take on salary. Stark’s source says (via Twitter) there’s very little action on some of Guillen’s teammates: Brian Bannister, Kyle Davies and Kyle Farnsworth.
Another one of Guillen’s teammates, Scott Podsednik, is drawing strong interest from NL West teams, including the Giants. For what it’s worth, the Giants have been scouting Guillen aggressively, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter). For the season, Guillen has 16 homers and a .271/.333/.457 line.
The Giants are pursuing outfielders other than Guillen and Podsednik, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Like the Braves, Rays and Red Sox, the Giants have interest in Josh Willingham.
Marlins To Explore Long-Term Deals With Players
TUESDAY, 7:00am: Uggla said a contract extension "would make me a very happy man," reports MLB.com's Joe Frisaro.
MONDAY, 10:09pm: The Marlins will explore multi-year deals with “more than one” of their current players, president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest told Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel. A source close to the Marlins told Rodriguez that the team hopes to sign Dan Uggla and Ricky Nolasco long-term this winter.
Both players have been in their share of trade rumors, but the club appears to have interest in keeping them around long-term. Nolasco will hit free agency after 2012 if the Marlins don't extend him. The 27-year-old makes $3.8MM this season and will receive pay raises after 2010 and 2011. Like Dan Haren, Nolasco has a relatively high ERA (4.50) but strong strikeout (8.0 K/9) and walk (1.8 BB/9) rates.
Uggla would hit free agency after 2011 if he doesn't sign an extension. This year, the Marlins are paying him $7.8MM and he will get a raise through arbitration next season. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Uggla, who is on pace for a fourth consecutive 30-homer season, earn eight figures through arbitration in 2011.
Odds & Ends: Donnelly, Guillen, Mets, Red Sox
Links for Monday, as we congratulate Matt Garza for throwing the first no-hitter in Rays history…
- Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post hears (via Twitter) that the Marlins have zero interest in Brendan Donnelly. The recently-DFA'd righty pitched well for the Marlins last year.
- The Giants have been scouting Jose Guillen aggressively, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter). The Royals have been willing to move the 34-year-old for a while.
- MLBTR's Tim Dierkes answered questions about the upcoming trade deadline for SD Sports Net.
- Pirates GM Neal Huntington told MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch that "money seems to be really tight within the industry" right now.
- Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic offers his interpretation of interim GM Jerry Dipoto's comments about Joe Saunders' winning percentage.
- The Mets are in wait-and-see mode at this point, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (Twitter link).
- GM Omar Minaya confirmed to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News that the Mets aren't going to fire any coaches today (Twitter link).
- The Red Sox are pursuing bullpen help, but would consider trading relievers Ramon Ramirez and Manny Delcarmen, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston (Twitter link).
- The Marlins aren't going to hire Bobby Valentine to manage the team, according to Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun Sentinel. Valentine told 790 the Ticket that his candidacy for the Marlins gig was "not a dead issue."
Red Sox Offered Ramirez For Barajas; Deal Unlikely
The Red Sox offered reliever Ramon Ramirez to the Mets for Rod Barajas before the catcher went on the disabled list, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). A source confirmed to Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the Red Sox and Mets discussed several trade possibilities involving Ramirez, including one that involved Barajas. However, Speier's source says the Red Sox aren't likely to trade Ramirez to the Mets.
The failed trade tells us two things about Boston's intentions for the coming week. First, it tells us that the Red Sox are willing to part with Ramirez, as Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston reported on Twitter earlier today. It's not a surprise, since Ramirez, who makes $1.55MM this year, will get raises in 2011 and 2012 before hitting free agency. He's not super-cheap, and he's effective (4.69 ERA, 6.2 K/9, 3.3 BB/9), but far from dominant.
Secondly, we are reminded that the Red Sox want to add a catcher, even though Victor Martinez is returning from the DL tonight. They have been connected to Chris Snyder and Chris Iannetta for months, and could pursue John Buck if they're interested in a short-term fix behind the plate. The list of potentially available catchers isn't a long one, so the Red Sox have limited ways of upgrading over Dusty Brown or Kevin Cash.
D’Backs Likely To Continue Trading
The D’Backs have already traded Conor Jackson and Dan Haren, but MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert reports that they aren’t done dealing yet. Interim GM Jerry Dipoto would still like to trade Chris Snyder and Chad Qualls, according to Gilbert. Team officials are also open to dealing Adam LaRoche and Edwin Jackson.
Gilbert reports that the D'Backs have not discussed a three-team deal that involving Jackson, the White Sox and the Nationals, though Washington does appear to have interest in the right-hander. The Red Sox, who offered Ramon Ramirez to the Mets for Rod Barajas, have had interest in Snyder, so it would not be a surprise to see the catcher traded to Boston. The White Sox and Angels are among the teams that have some interest in LaRoche and the Rays have interest in Qualls despite his lofty 8.49 ERA.
All of the players Gilbert names have attracted some interest, so Dipoto will have the chance to make many deals. Other than Justin Upton and possibly Ian Kennedy, contenders will be able to obtain just about anyone on the D'Backs.
Yankees Trying To Trade Chan Ho Park
The Yankees are trying to trade Chan Ho Park, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark (via Twitter). The market for relievers is thin, but adding Park to it doesn't change much for teams in search of relief help. The 37-year-old has allowed seven homers and 30 other hits in 32.1 innings for a 5.57 ERA. Park's strikeout (7.2 K/9) and walk (2.5 BB/9) numbers have been above-average, but he has been hittable in 2010.
Park earns $1.2MM this season before hitting free agency. He missed time with a hamstring injury earlier in the year and his place in the Yankees 'pen has been less than secure since May. Presumably, the Yankees would part with Park for salary relief or a fringe prospect.
Rays Will Consider Two-Month Rentals
The Rays have shown interest in impending free agents Cliff Lee and Jayson Werth this summer, so they seem prepared to invest in players who won’t necessarily stay in Tampa after 2010. Today, GM Andrew Friedman confirmed to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune that the Rays are interested in players who aren’t under long-term control.
“There are some we’re looking at that we can control short-term and some that we can control longer,” Friedman said, noting that his decisions will vary depending on the situation. “We’re open-minded to either [type of player].”
Friedman says he sees fewer impact players available than there were in 2008 or 2009 and that seems especially true now that Lee and Dan Haren are off the market. The Rays don’t appear confident in their ability to acquire Werth, but Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reported today that the team has interest in Chad Qualls.
The Rays, who seem willing to trade prospects, face a payroll drop in 2011, which may contribute to their interest in free agents-to-be. Owner Stuart Sternberg is prepared to spend in 2010, but the Rays will face cuts in 2011, when payroll is expected to drop below $60MM.
Tigers, Rangers Losing Interest In Lowell
The Tigers and Rangers have been eyeing Mike Lowell, but both teams are losing interest in the infielder, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com. The Rangers appear to be pursuing Jorge Cantu aggressively, so their interest in Lowell has faded.
The Tigers had amateur scouting director David Chadd watch Lowell rehab with the Pawtucket Red Sox recently, according to Edes. Detroit just lost infielders Carlos Guillen and Brandon Inge to the DL, but a big league source tells Edes that the Tigers aren’t likely to obtain Lowell.
Lowell, 36, has hit .213/.308/.350 in 91 plate appearances this season, but has recently been sidelined with a hip injury. About $4.2MM remains on Lowell’s contract, but the Red Sox would take on a substantial chunk of salary in any trade.
Rangers Among Teams Interested In Chris Volstad
Teams are asking the Marlins about Chris Volstad's availability, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. The Marlins appear undecided about the approach they'll take at the deadline, but they are reluctant to deal Volstad, Ricky Nolasco or Leo Nunez. The Rangers inquired on Volstad, but were turned away, according to Capozzi.
Volstad, 24 in September, has a 4.76 ERA with 6.1 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9 so far this season. The 6'8" righty is under team control through the 2014 season, and won't hit arbitration until after next year, so it's no surprise that the Marlins prefer to keep him.
Volstad has logged 104 innings so far this season and is on track to surpass his career-high of 159. Unlike many of his teammates, Volstad had not been mentioned in trade rumors this summer before today.
Gary Matthews Jr. Exercises Out Clause
SATURDAY: Matthews has opted out of his deal, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
FRIDAY: Matthews intends to exercise his out clause tomorrow, tweets Jayson Stark of ESPN.com. The 36-year-old is hoping to land a major league job after hitting .313/.359/.490 at Triple-A Louisville.
TUESDAY: The Reds could lose Gary Matthews Jr. to free agency if they don't call him up by July 24th, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. Matthews has an out clause that will enable him to opt out of the deal he signed with the Reds if he isn't in the majors.
Matthews, 36 in August, has hit well at Triple-A Louisville, but the Reds already have Jay Bruce, Jonny Gomes, Drew Stubbs, Laynce Nix and Chris Heisey on their active roster. In 93 minor league plate appearances, Matthews has posted a .310/.355/.494 line, but has not posted an OPS above .700 in the majors since 2007.
