Phillies Sign Willy Taveras

The Phillies signed Willy Taveras, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (Twitter link). Yesterday, DeWayne Wise opted out of his contract with the Phillies, who restore some minor league outfield depth by signing Taveras. The Nationals signed Taveras in February, but released him unconditionally two weeks ago after an unproductive stint in Washington.

Taveras, 28, hit .200/.243/.257 in 37 plate appearances for the Nats this year. The former stolen base champ was successful in just one of three attempts. He has had trouble reaching base for the last three seasons, but he was an above-average defender (according to UZR) as recently as last year.

Taveras will report to Triple A, where Wise was playing before he opted out, according to Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer (via Twitter).

D’Backs Open To Major Changes

The last-place Diamondbacks, losers of ten consecutive games, are considering a major restructuring of the major league roster, according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. Team president Derrick Hall said the team has to consider changes when losing like this.

"We're going to have to look at the budget and at doing business a little differently," Hall said. "Sticking with the same guys year after year when their salaries are going up and we're not getting results, that's not efficient or responsible."

D’Backs managing general partner Ken Kendrick also expressed disappointment in the team, though he didn't blame manager A.J. Hinch. Kendrick suggested the players “look themselves in the mirror.” And Kendrick says the same applies for everyone in the organization, including GM Josh Byrnes.

"We owe it to ourselves to frankly look in the mirror, for me to look at myself and say what am I doing or not doing that I should be doing as an owner," Kendrick said. "It goes for me, Derrick Hall, Josh Byrnes and right on through to all of us who don’t wear the uniform and are involved in the organization."

Yesterday, Byrnes did not deny to Jim Bowden that the D’Backs could listen on Dan Haren. Adam LaRoche is one of the other D’Backs with some trade value.

Odds & Ends: Griffey, Padres, Suzuki, Pedroia, Haren

Hard to believe that Ken Griffey Jr.'s retirement will only be the second biggest story of the day. Here are some more links to check out…

Draft Notes: Pirates, Blue Jays, Reds, Harper

Some links from around the majors with less than a week to go before the MLB draft:

  • Pirates' president Frank Coonelly chatted with fans at the team's official site, with most of the questions involving prospects and the team's plans for Monday's draft.
  • MLB.com's Jordan Bastian spoke to Blue Jays' director of amateur scouting Andrew Tinnish about the upcoming draft. Among other things, they discussed what the team's strategy will be with all of their extra picks. The Jays own ten of the first 126 picks.
  • Reds scouting director Chris Buckley told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that the Reds are considering Christian Colon, Alex Wimmers, Deck McGuire, Gary Brown and Kolbin Vitek.
  • In 2009, the Reds drafted Mike Leake in the first round. One year later, Bob Nightengale of USA Today shows that the 22-year-old is fitting in with older, more experienced teammates and impressing the opposition.
  • Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that Bryce Harper and Scott Boras will seek a record bonus this year. However, Heyman says most people expect the Nationals to sign Harper for more than Mark Teixeira's $9.5MM bonus and less than Stephen Strasburg's $15.1MM bonus (if they draft him, as expected).
  • The Mets won't pick Yasmani Grandal seventh overall, according to Heyman (via Twitter).
  • Heyman has the Mets taking right-hander Matt Harvey in his mock draft.

DeWayne Wise Opts Out Of Phillies Contract

DeWayne Wise is a free agent after opting out of his contract with the Phillies, according to the Allentown Morning Call. Wise, a 32-year-old outfielder best-known for saving Mark Buehrle's 2009 perfect game with a memorable catch, was playing in Triple A. The Phillies signed Wise last fall after he declared free agency.

He was hitting .272/.317/.515 in 145 minor league plate appearances. Wise never made it to the majors with the Phillies, but he has played at the highest level for parts of seven seasons. In total, he has a .216/ .255/.380 line with the White Sox, Reds, Braves and Blue Jays.

Adam LaRoche’s Trade Value

The Diamondbacks are 10.5 games out of a playoff spot and they aren't scheduled to play a team with a losing record for more than a month. If you suspect they might become sellers, you're not alone. As ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports, executives expect the D'Backs to move payroll early this year.  

Adam LaRoche has makings of a trade candidate. He's on an affordable one-year deal and he's hitting well. Last month MLBTR's Tim Dierkes suggested that the Rangers, Mariners and Marlins could inquire and we can now add the Angels to the list of possible suitors. LaRoche was traded twice last summer, so we can start to determine his current trade value by looking back at last summer's deals. To figure out what the D'Backs can get for LaRoche, let's consider the players he was traded for, what has stayed the same since last year and what has changed:

Who LaRoche was traded for:

What has stayed the same:

  • LaRoche is in the final year of his contract.
  • His team is out of contention.
  • He has a reputation as a second half hitter (career .300/.363/.546 line in the second half).
  • His defense remains about average, according to UZR.

What has changed:

  • LaRoche's contract is more team-friendly this year. He was making 7.05MM last year. Now, LaRoche's salary is just $4.5MM, but if a team trades for him, they'll have to buy LaRoche out for $1.5MM or pick up his 2011 option for $9.5MM. 
  • He's hitting better this year. When the Pirates traded him last year, LaRoche had a .247/.329/.441 line. Now, he's hitting .266/.362/.485 with seven homers.
  • LaRoche, now 30, is a year older.
  • A contender has a clear need for a first baseman this year. The Marlins, Giants and Braves all wanted upgrades at first base last year, but none of those teams had a hole like the Angels do now.

The verdict:

  • LaRoche brought the Pirates a couple secondary prospects last year and could reportedly have brought in a similar return from another team. Now, he's under a more desirable contract and hitting better in a market where one team clearly needs a first baseman and few clubs appear ready to sell. D'Backs GM Josh Byrnes seems better-positioned to acquire prospects for LaRoche than Neal Huntington was a year ago.

Mariners, Rangers, White Sox Interested In Lowell

The Angels are not going to trade for Mike Lowell, but a couple of their division rivals are interested. Joe McDonald of ESPNBoston.com hears from a Red Sox source that the Mariners, Rangers and White Sox are among the teams that have contacted the Red Sox about Lowell. Nothing is imminent, but if the Red Sox deal Lowell, they will almost certainly pay most of the $8MM or so remaining on his contract.

The 20-31 Mariners have not seen Casey Kotchman and Jose Lopez provide much offense at the corners, though Lopez homered yesterday and has been hitting better recently. Their designated hitters have combined for a .207/.266/.318 line, so Lowell's numbers (.239/.329/.358) look good in comparison, even though his power and on base percentage are lower than usual.

The Rangers, who are in a virtual tie for first place in the AL West, have seen Justin Smoak struggle through 136 plate appearances this year (.190/.301/.353 line). They had interest in Lowell last winter, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see them pursue him once again.

White Sox GM Kenny Williams says he doesn't expect to start making moves, but third baseman Mark Teahen is out with a broken finger, so the Sox are short an infielder. The White Sox could bring Lowell aboard to play third if they aren't comfortable with Jayson Nix, Omar Vizquel and Brent Lillibridge at the hot corner.

Millwood, Wigginton Open To Playing For Mets

Kevin Millwood and Ty Wigginton told Dan Martin of the New York Post that they are open to playing for the Mets if the Orioles become sellers. Though Hisanori Takahashi and R.A. Dickey have been effective for the Mets recently, the club may look for starting pitching depth later this summer. That idea that appeals to Millwood.

"I woludn't mind pitching in New York," Millwood said. "It's a great city, but it's not really up to me whether I do or don't."

That's not quite true, since Millwood has a limited no trade clause. If the 15-37 Orioles start selling, Millwood, who makes $12MM this season in the last year of his contract, would appeal to teams in search of veteran starters. Though he's still winless, the right-hander has a 3.89 ERA this year with 7.1 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9.

Wigginton, who makes $3.5MM this year, is also in the last year of his contract. He has played first, second and third for the Orioles in 2010, but his versatility isn't his only appealing trait. The former Met has 13 homers already (partly since 25% of the fly balls he hits leave the park). Like Millwood, Wigginton says he would be open to playing in New York.

Several Teams Interested In Luis Heredia

Seven teams are interested in Mexican right-hander Luis Heredia, according to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The 6'4'' teenager is part of this year's July 2 class, so he will be able to sign exactly one month from today if the Mexican team that controls Heredia's rights makes him available. The Pirates, Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, Blue Jays, Rangers and Mariners are interested, but acquiring the 15-year-old pitcher could cost as much as $2MM.

The Pirates have pursued international free agents aggressively under GM Neal Huntington. The club nearly signed Miguel Sano last summer, before the Dominican signed with the Twins. Alex Anthopoulos has also pursued international talent aggressively since taking over as Blue Jays GM last fall.

Marlins Seek Left-Handed Relievers

Any team that plays in the same division as Chase Utley, Ryan Howard and Adam Dunn could use a reliable left-hander or two. The Marlins are no exception, and since Taylor Tankersley is the lone southpaw in their bullpen, they are looking for a dependable left-handed reliever, according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. If Dontrelle Willis continues to struggle and the D'Backs make him available, the Marlins would likely have renewed interest in him, according to Frisaro. 

Tankersley, the only left-handed reliever currently on the team, has appeared in just three big league games since the Marlins recalled him from the minor leagues. Left-hander Dan Meyer is just a call away at Triple A New Orleans, where lefty Hunter Jones has spent most of the season, so the Marlins do have some depth in the minors. Before he hit the disabled list, Renyel Pinto appeared in 19 games, posting a 2.30 ERA and twice as many strikeouts as walks.

Over the weekend, the Miami Herald named Will Ohman and Matt Thornton as potential fits for the team. It's not hard to imagine Tim Byrdak (Astros), Javier Lopez (Pirates) and Bruce Chen (Royals) becoming available within a few weeks and others could be had in trades. The Marlins could go after former Red Sox Alan Embree and Scott Schoeneweis if they choose to pursue free agents.