Odds & Ends: Thames, Manzella, Royals, Marlins

Links for Friday…

Heyman On Pujols, Torre, Blalock, Lopez

Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt told Jon Heyman of SI.com that he wants to keep Albert Pujols in St. Louis for life, even though the first baseman will likely require a historic contract when he becomes a free agent, presumably after the 2011 season.

"We all have our financial limitations," DeWitt said. "It depends on how the contract is structured. We feel there's an area that could work where it would be affordable to us."

Pujols says he wants to finish his career as a Cardinal and the executives who watch him believe he's in line for big money. Some suggested Pujols could command a contract worth as much as the $275MM deal Alex Rodriguez signed with the Yankees. Here are the rest of Heyman's rumors:
  • The Dodgers continue to work on a one-year extension with Joe Torre. Don Mattingly appears "likely" to take over as Dodgers manager after 2011.
  • The Marlins have Hank Blalock on their radar and the Rays are also in the mix. 
  • The Cardinals haven't ruled out making an addition and Felipe Lopez seems like a fit. Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says (via Twitter) that the Cardinals are interested in Lopez, but not 'in' on him.

Konerko Open-Minded Entering Walk Year

Paul Konerko told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that he's prepared to move on from the White Sox after the season and willing to listen if the team wants to discuss an extension.

"I've enjoyed my time here," Konerko said. "They might call tomorrow. They might call in the middle of the season. They might never call."

And Konerko is confident that talks won't distract him if his phone rings during the season. But if the White Sox don't call and he doesn't like the opportunities out there, he might not play at all in 2011.

"I wouldn't force something if it's not there," he said.

Konerko, who turns 34 in a week, hit .277/.353/.489 for the White Sox last year, with 28 homers. His defense is about average, according to UZR/150, so he has all-around value. That could distinguish him from players like former teammate Jermaine Dye, whose defensive shortcomings have cost him this winter.

Gary Sheffield’s Next Team

Gary Sheffield still wants to play. Actually, he wants to play a lot. Ten days ago, a source told MLB.com's Bill Ladson that Sheffield was still looking for an everyday job. But ask Jermaine Dye how easy it is for aging sluggers to find jobs these days. Dye is five years younger than Sheffield and hit 17 more homers last year, but he hasn't seen an offer he likes. It is not surprising to see the 41-year-old Sheffield unsigned at this point in the offseason.

His defense is far from passable (-12.7 UZR last year in 500 innings), but he adds value with his bat. Sheffield, who is just 311 hits away from 3000, posted a .276/.372/.451 line in New York last year.

The Mets have not contacted Sheffield, but the slugger told the New York Post earlier in the month that he had "things on the table" from other clubs. Let's take a look at how Sheffield would fit on some MLB rosters, starting in the American League, where he can DH:
  • The Blue Jays have Jose Bautista and Randy Ruiz competing for at bats in the outfield and at DH, so the competition is not overwhelming. There's very little chance the rebuilding Jays could turn Sheffield into something valuable at the deadline (that applies to any club).
  • The Rays already have one positionless player. Pat Burrell joins Matt Joyce, Fernando Perez, Gabe KaplerReid Brignac, Sean Rodriguez and Dan Johnson in pursuit of limited roster spots, so Sheffield doesn't appear to be a fit in Tampa.  
  • Like the Rays, the Red Sox, Indians, Royals, Angels, Rangers and A's have little need for an extra DH.
  • The Marlins don't have much outfield depth after Chris Coghlan, Cameron Maybin and Cody Ross
  • The Cardinals and Astros have limited outfield depth, too.
  • The Nationals have been adding veterans all offseason long, but they have enough outfielders already. 

There doesn't appear to be an everyday job out there for Sheffield. At this point, it appears likely that he'll have to retire, wait for someone to get injured, or accept a minor league deal and a limited role.

Indians Sign Russell Branyan

The Indians officially signed Russell Branyan today to a one-year, $2MM deal.  He can earn another $1MM in incentives, and the contract includes a $5MM mutual option for 2011.  ESPN.com's Buster Olney was first to report the agreement on Friday.  MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince notes that Chris Gimenez was outrighted to make room for Branyan, but will remain in camp as a non-roster invitee.

Branyan, 34, hit 31 homers and slugged .520 for the Mariners last year. They offered him the chance to return on a one-year deal with a club option for 2011 and he turned it down. Branyan was looking for $20-30MM earlier in the offseason, but he didn't find offers that lucrative. Some clubs were wary of the back issues that prevented Branyan from playing after August 28th last year.

Ultimately, the Indians and Rays were finalists and Branyan chose to return to Cleveland. He figures to get at bats at first base and DH. Branyan played 35 games at third in 2008 and he has experience in the outfield, so Indians manager Manny Acta could move him around the diamond.

Reds Still Waiting On Decision From Gomes

SUNDAY, 12:01pm: We may have to wait another day or two for closure on the Reds and Gomes. Fay tweets that there is still no word on whether the outfielder will accept Cincinnati's offer. MLB.com's Mark Sheldon quotes Jocketty as saying, "We'll know something by tomorrow."

FRIDAY, 1:11pm: It looks like the holding pattern between the Reds and Jonny Gomes could come to an end this weekend. Reds GM Walt Jocketty tells John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he expects to know whether the outfielder will return by Sunday.

"He wants to come back," Jocketty said. "But he's taking a last look at what's out there."

The Reds have a minor league offer out to Gomes, who hit 20 homers for them last season. The Indians were connected to the 29-year-old earlier in the month, but there has been little reported interest in Gomes this winter.

Odds & Ends: Tigers, Branyan, Indians, Beckett

Links for Friday…

Blue Jays Sign Jose Molina

The Blue Jays signed Jose Molina to a one-year deal that includes a club option for 2011, according to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian. Molina is guaranteed $400K and he makes $400K more if he is on the team's opening day roster. The 2011 club option is worth $1.2MM. The Blue Jays are putting Jesse Litsch on the 60-day DL to make room for Molina.

Molina made $2MM with the Yankees last year, hitting .217/.292/.268 in 155 plate appearances. The 34-year-old has a passable .690 career OPS against lefties, but free agent acquisition John Buck also does better against southpaws (.749 OPS against left-handers, .687 OPS against right-handers). 

The move gives the Blue Jays depth to go along with Buck and Raul Chavez. It's a low-risk signing that gives the Blue Jays the power to keep Molina for two seasons if they like his production. The Blue Jays signed Jose's brother, Bengie, to a one-year $5MM deal four years ago.

Mathis Wins Arbitration Hearing With Angels

Jeff Mathis won his arbitration hearing with the Angels and will earn $1.3MM this year instead of the $700K salary the club offered, according to Ronald Blum of the AP (via Yahoo). The Angels have reached deals with all of their arbitration-eligible players now that Mathis and Erick Aybar have set contracts.

Mathis, 27 next month, shares the team's catching duties with Mike Napoli. Mathis appeared in 84 games for the Angels last season, hitting .211/.288/.308 with five homers. This is Mathis' first year as an arbitration-eligible player and he isn't expected to become a free agent until after the 2012 season.

Nationals Sign Chien-Ming Wang

The Nationals officially signed Chien-Ming Wang to a one-year $2MM deal that includes up to $3MM in performance bonuses.

MLB.com's Bill Ladson reported the agreement and Ronald Blum of the AP added the terms of the deal. Last week Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe tweeted that Wang had picked the Nationals and Ken Davidoff of Newsday tweeted that Wang would earn $2MM with the chance to more than double that amount in incentives. Wang's agent insisted that no deal was in place after those initial reports emerged.

Shoulder and hip injuries limited Wang to 12 appearances last year, and the Yankees non-tendered him. Wang, 30 next month, could be a major contributor for the Nationals if he can return to form. The two-time 19 game winner  has a long way to go, as last year's 9.64 ERA indicates.

Once healthy, he will join new addition Jason Marquis in the team's rotation. Wang has less than five years' service time, so he won't be a free agent until after the 2011 season unless the Nationals non-tender him, too.