Beimel Still Has Offer From Mets
Dodgers Remain Interested In Braden Looper
The Dodgers remain interested in free agent pitcher Braden Looper, but they're not willing to offer him more than a minor league deal, according to MLB.com's Ken Gurnick. They would like to add the 35-year-old righty to the group of starters competing for the final spot in the team's rotation.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports hears that Looper could wait for pitchers to get injured before signing (Twitter link).
Brewers Discussed Fielder Extension With Boras
Prince Fielder told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Brewers met with agent Scott Boras yesterday to discuss an extension for the first baseman. The details aren't clear, but Fielder knows the Brewers haven't made an offer.
"All I know is that Scott said they talked and everything was positive," Fielder said. "I heard the talks were good. Now, they do whatever."
Mets Sign Kiko Calero
The Mets signed Kiko Calero to a minor league deal worth up to $1.5MM. He earns $850K if he makes the team, with another $650K available in incentives. There is no opt-out if the Mets send him to the minors.
Adam Rubin of the New York Daily News tweeted news of the deal, which was announced on SNY's broadcast of this afternoon's Mets game. Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweeted the details.
Calero had been looking for a major league deal, so the Mets deserve credit for adding him on a minor league contract, especially since there's a good chance Kelvim Escobar will start the season injured.
The 35-year-old pitched 60 innings of 1.95 ERA ball last year for the Marlins, with 10.4 K/9 and 4.5 BB/9. But the Marlins had concerns about his health and they weren't the only ones. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe heard from two executives who said Calero's medicals didn't look good (Twitter link). That didn't prevent eight teams from offering the righty minor league deals, according to MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez (via Twitter).
D’Backs Offer Mark Reynolds Extension
The D'Backs just locked up their franchise player and they may sign another young star to an extension soon. Jon Heyman of SI.com reported that the D'Backs offered Mark Reynolds a two-year $13.5MM deal to cover the 2011-12 seasons. MLB.com's Steve Gilbert reports that the sides will meet in person tomorrow to discuss a possible extension.
Blue Jays Claim Casey Fien
The Blue Jays claimed Casey Fien off waivers from the Red Sox, according to MLB.com's Jordan Bastian (via Twitter). To make room for Fien, the Jays moved Scott Richmond to the 60-day DL.
It's been a busy week for Fien, who is with his third organization since Monday. The Tigers designated the reliever for assignment last week and the Red Sox claimed him Monday. He posted 10.2 K/9 and 2.3 BB/9 in 58 Triple A innings last year and made his MLB debut. He has only faced 53 major league hitters, so it wouldn't be fair to judge him on the 7.94 ERA he posted for the Tigers.
The Red Sox now have 39 players on their 40-man roster, according to a team press release.
Odds & Ends: Chapman, Upton, Mets, Gallardo
Some links as Spring Training games get started…
- Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports writes that Aroldis Chapman may be the most well-known of the recent Cuban defectors hoping to make an MLB impact, but that he's hardly the only one.
- The Hendricks brothers, who represent Chapman now, reached a settlement with API, who used to represent the lefty, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com.
- The Justin Upton deal should work for both sides, writes Tyler Hissey of Around the Majors. Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic warns that there's some risk involved from Arizona's perspective, and wonders if B.J. Upton's recent struggles factored in his brother's decision to sign an extension now.
- The Mets have called the Padres about Adrian Gonzalez, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter).
- Yovani Gallardo's agent had some talks with the Brewers about a long-term deal last spring, but nothing came of them, reports MLB.com's Adam McCalvy.
- Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports tweets that Joe Crede is hitting, throwing and waiting for a job offer.
- Red Sox Assistant GM Ben Cherington tells Alex Speier of WEEI.com that the club has catchers in the upper minors who are "capable of coming up and playing." From defensive catchers like Dusty Brown and Mark Wagner to the powerful Luis Exposito, the team has potential behind the plate, though it doesn't have certainty for 2011.
- R.J. Anderson of FanGraphs wonders if Eric Hinske will encourage Jason Heyward to sign a long-term deal, like Evan Longoria did a couple springs ago.
- Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star reports that another team offered Noel Arguelles more than the $7MM bonus he will receive from the Royals.
Adrian Gonzalez Will Ask For A Massive Contract
Guillen: White Sox Will Keep Beckham Around
The White Sox plan on keeping Gordon Beckham around for a while, according to White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. He told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune not to overreact when Beckham's name comes up in trade rumblings.
The Giants’ Offer To Adam LaRoche
Adam LaRoche turned down a deal from the Giants, but he tells Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic that it's not the deal everyone thinks he turned down. When LaRoche signed a one-year $6MM deal with the D'Backs, he and his agent were criticized for turning down a two-year $17.5MM deal from the Giants. But LaRoche says their offer wasn't that simple.
