Odds And Ends: Lobaton, Arroyo, Glaus, Snell
Even more links for the afternoon…
- The Padres designated catcher Jose Lobaton for assignment, according to MLB.com's Corey Brock. The 24-year-old was 3 for 17 without any walks or extra base hits in limited playing time.
- Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe lists Boston's top five deadline deals of all time.
- ESPN.com's Rob Neyer agrees with Erik Manning of FanGraphs and Joe Pawlikowski of River Ave. Blues: The Yanks shouldn't trade for Bronson Arroyo.
- Roger Hensley of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says the Cards are putting Troy Glaus' rehab on hold because of back pain.
- Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Yankees are talking to the Pirates about Ian Snell. As Heyman says, the Yankees are considering many pitchers at this point.
- Tyler Hissey says Cliff Lee should command nearly as much as Roy Halladay in a trade.
Odds & Ends: White, White Sox, Bard, Willingham
More links as the rumors keep flowing in…
- La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune "heard the Twins might be sniffing around Seattle reliever Sean White." White's best skill is a decent groundball rate; his strikeout and walk rates do not impress.
- The White Sox inked second-round pick Trayce Thompson, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. The high school outfielder, chosen 61st overall, gets $625K.
- Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe is fairly sure the Red Sox won't trade Daniel Bard this week.
- Chico Harlan of the Washington Post believes the Nats should keep Josh Willingham because he's relatively affordable, powerful and plays well enough defensively.
- ESPN.com's Keith Law says Ryan Garko is a small upgrade for the Giants at first base.
- The Rangers believed they were frontrunners to acquire Garko yesterday, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. They'd still like a right-handed hitting first baseman.
- The Mets signed former big leaguer Adam Pettyjohn to a minor league deal, according to Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post.
Tim Dierkes contributed to this post.
Red Sox Acquire Brian Anderson For Mark Kotsay
2:08pm: MLB.com's Noah Coslov says the White Sox received Mark Kotsay and cash from the Red Sox for Anderson. A Red Sox press release says Anderson will be assigned to Triple A Pawtucket. The 27 year-old voiced his desire for a trade last Thursday to MLB.com's Scott Merkin. He has a .225/.288/.364 line in 862 career plate appearances (and here's a look at his glovework; the biggest sample is 966 innings in '06).
Kotsay was designated for assignment by Boston on Friday. The 33 year-old hit .257/.291/.324 in 79 plate appearances for the Red Sox; he'd re-signed in January for $1.5MM plus incentives. He was hobbled by calf and back injuries.
1:59pm: The Red Sox acquired Brian Anderson from the White Sox, according to David Lefort of the Boston Globe. It's unclear what the Red Sox gave up or where they'll assign Anderson, who had been playing in the minors for the White Sox.
Tim Dierkes contributed to this post.
Rockies Rumors: ‘Pen, Spilborghs
The Rockies would to add a left-handed reliever, but won't necessarily be able to, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Here are the details:
- There are few left-handers available. John Grabow and George Sherrill could be had, but they could cost too much in terms of money and prospects.
- After adding Rafael Betancourt the Rockies have limited payroll flexibility.
- They aren't willing to move Ryan Spilborghs now, but may consider trading him after the season. The Phillies have had interest in Spilborghs.
Twins Targeting Relievers & Infielders
The Twins are targeting teams with both infielders and relievers available in the hopes of addressing their two biggest needs in one trade, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. John Grabow and Freddy Sanchez could be packaged together, as could Michael Wuertz and Orlando Cabrera. The Twins are still interested in Marco Scutaro and the Blue Jays have appealing relievers in Jason Frasor, Scott Downs and Brandon League.
The Twins would like to add a starter now that Kevin Slowey is out indefinitely, but they don't expect to acquire one.
Odds & Ends: Felix, DiPoto, Red Sox, Marlins
More links as we count down the hours to the deadline…
- Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times asks if the Mariners should listen to offers for Felix Hernandez, in the event they cannot sign him long-term.
- SI's Tom Verducci sees Arizona exec Jerry DiPoto as "the frontrunner for the Nationals GM job."
- Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald says the Red Sox are looking for a right-handed hitting fourth outfielder who plays good defense. He mentions Willie Bloomquist and Cody Ross as possible fits.
- The Marlins are looking to make moves, but it's unclear where they'd want to upgrade, according to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald. They could add a starter, a reliever or a position player, but don't expect them to trade prospects Logan Morrison and Mike Stanton. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports says the Fish "are split on whether to acquire a hitter or starting pitcher."
- Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Cubs GM Jim Hendry wants to make a deal, but doesn't expect to make a "splashy" one.
- The Rockies could use an experienced lefty reliever, according to MLB.com.
Reds Still Eyeing Scott Rolen
TUESDAY, 11:14am: Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports says the Reds "haven't ruled out" a Rolen acquisition, but must wait to see what the Jays do with Roy Halladay first.
MONDAY, 3:57pm: Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says the Reds are not sellers and have continued discussions with the Blue Jays about Scott Rolen. Knobler says there's a chance they'll acquire him to solidify their light-hitting lineup.
The Reds have had discussions with other teams about trading pitchers, but Knobler hears they would only make a deal that helps the team this year.
2:29pm: Jeff Fletcher of AOL FanHouse hears that the Reds are close to making a deal after top team officials spoke on a conference call this morning. The Reds, fifth in the NL Central, are sellers and have pitchers like Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang and Francisco Cordero who could all appeal to teams seeking pitching.
Odds And Ends: Mora, Mariners, Cubs, Rizzo
Some links to start your morning off…
- Melvin Mora told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he wants to play four more years, until his quintuplets turn 12.
- A number of GMs told USA Today's Bob Nightengale how trade rumors impact their jobs. Nightengale also talked to Tim, Peter Gammons and Ken Rosenthal, so check the article out.
- I'll be chatting live at USA Today beginning at 11am CST. But one chat isn't enough, so check in to MLBTR a few hours later and I'll chat here at 2pm CST.
- Larry Stone of the Seattle Times would be surprised if the Mariners don't become sellers this week.
- East Windup Chronicle passes on a report saying the Cubs signed their third Taiwanese player of the year, Wang Tsu-an. The Cubs awarded the righty a bonus over $300k.
- Every scout Phil Wood of MASN.com talks to sings the praises of Nats acting GM Mike Rizzo.
Yankees And Reds Talking Arroyo Trade
9:14pm: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets that the Yankees said a deal was "not realistic at this point," implying that Arroyo was making too much money for their liking.
6:17pm: Peter Abraham of The Journal News tweets the Yankees have shot the rumor down.
5:51pm: MLB.com's Mark Sheldon says that Arroyo is indeed scheduled to start for the Reds tomorrow. Tuesday's starter had been listed as TBA in error.
5:00pm: The Yankees and Reds are seriously discussing a Bronson Arroyo trade, according to Jeff Fletcher of AOL FanHouse. One of Fletcher's sources says the possible deal "will get done," though the two clubs haven't determined how much of the $4MM remaining on Arroyo's contract the Reds will pay. Arroyo will make $11MM next season and the same amount in 2011 if his team doesn't buy him out for $2MM.
Earlier this afternoon Fletcher reported that the Reds could be on the brink of making a move.
Roy Halladay Rumors: Monday
8:58pm: Joe Christensen of The Star Tribune says the Twins asked about Halladay, but were told they weren't on the list of teams he would approve a trade to.
7:27pm: Joe McDonald and Paul Kenyon of The Providence Journal say that Ricciardi wanted pitchers Clay Buchholz, Casey Kelly, and another top prospect from the Red Sox in exchange for Halladay.
6:10pm: Zolecki tweets that a "Phillies spokesman said from their point of view there is no animosity between themselves and any team they're talking to."
5:34pm: Joel Sherman of The NY Post says that the Jays will go right up to the 4pm deadline on Friday if need be. He also mentions that Ricciardi is "emphasizing a need for at least one player to move directly onto the major league roster."
4:33pm: Price hears the Rays have backed off Halladay for now, because the Blue Jays are asking for so much.
3:47pm: A Blue Jays person tells Ed Price of AOL FanHouse that the Jays want "every last good guy" in a team's system if they're going to part with Halladay.
3:18pm: ESPN.com's Jayson Stark hears that talks are "not going well" between the Blue Jays and Phillies. The Jays are not lowering their demands, which include Happ, Drabek and Brown. Because the Blue Jays are "not blinking," the Phils are also considering Cliff Lee, who also figures to cost the team top prospects.
The Blue Jays would rather not trade within the division, but could deal with the Red Sox or Rays since talks with the Phillies are "deteriorating." The Rangers are a possibile fit, but the Blue Jays will not take on Halladay's salary in any trade.
1:48pm: A high-ranking official involved in talks between the Jays and Phillies tells Heyman there's a 5% chance a deal happens. Neither side seems willing to modify its proposal, but that could change before Friday.
1:14pm: Two sources tell MLB.com's Todd Zolecki that the Blue Jays' demands are reasonable. However, the Phillies don't want to compromise future teams by trading Happ, Drabek and Brown.
1:07pm: Heyman hears that the Phils and Jays are at an "impasse" right now. We still have 100 hours until the deadline, so there's time to overcome it.
1:04pm: ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears that dialogue between the Phillies and Blue Jays has become angry as they discuss prospects.
12:28pm: Yahoo's Gordon Edes hears that the Red Sox could potentially offer the Jays Clay Buchholz and Daniel Bard plus minor leaguers such as Michael Bowden, Junichi Tazawa and Casey Kelly. However, Edes' source says the Red Sox aren't going to "give up the farm" in any trade.
12:19pm: Jon Heyman says the Phillies remain the frontrunners for Halladay. Don't completely rule out the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers, but a trade to any of those clubs seems highly unlikely.
10:11am: Vernon Wells and Aaron Hill told Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun that they expect Halladay to remain a Jay. Elliott says the Phillies, Red Sox and Angels have the best chance of obtaining Doc.
9:22am: J.P. Ricciardi's self-imposed deadline to trade Roy Halladay is just a day away. We know the Giants aren't trading for him and Ricciardi said the chances of any deal are "very slim". Here are the latest rumors as we begin the week of the trade deadline:
- A source "essentially confirmed" to Bob Cooney of the Philadelphia Daily News that the Jays rejected a package of J.A. Happ, Carlos Carrasco, Michael Taylor and Jason Donald for Halladay, after the Phils rejected the Jays' offer of Happ, Kyle Drabek and Dominic Brown. We'd heard this before, but we have confirmation now.
- The Yankees are reluctant to part with prospects and take on salary, so they're showing no signs of interest in Halladay or Cliff Lee, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.
- Red Sox chairman Tom Werner said GM Theo Epstein "is burning the midnight oil" in possible trade talks and is discussing the top names available, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
